Mark V:35 Say WHAT?!?! Short Head and 1x12 combo

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Vigo1999
Donating Member

Catch me if you can"

Post by Vigo1999 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:46 am

DT Rules . . . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

those Pontiacs are also welcome in my garage . . . :wink: on a side note, that film here in Brazil was called "Catch me if you can".

but i never saw a Smokey and the Bandit amp . . . :?
Amps
Stiletto Deuce
Mark III simul blue stripe
Mark IVA
Blue Angel 2x10' combo

Cabs
Mesa Thiele EV
Mesa Open Back EV
Mesa Open Back VS 12 (2)

Guitars
Gibson Les Paul Custom 92'
Gibson Flying V 02'
Fender Am Std Strat 96'
PRS Singlecut 02'

Dreamtheaterrules
Mark IV

Re: Mark V:35 Say WHAT?!?! Short Head and 1x12 combo

Post by Dreamtheaterrules » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Vigo, He didn't have an amp. But if he did, it would have been a Mesa Boogie! (Black with gold stripes. :lol: )

Streuth, congrats on the amp. You're gonna love that thing!
Mesa Boogie Mark V, Mark V25, PRS Archon, PRS Custom 50

streuth
Bottle Rocket

Post by streuth » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:33 am

Dreamtheaterrules wrote:Vigo, He didn't have an amp. But if he did, it would have been a Mesa Boogie! (Black with gold stripes. :lol: )

Streuth, congrats on the amp. You're gonna love that thing!
Thanks, used it at practice tonight, really happy to be back in boogie land. Love the cleans and how much variation there is on the second channel.
Current: Mesa Mark V:25, TA 30 1x12, Tubemeister 18 1x10
Past Boogies: Studio .22, Maverick 1x12, Express 1x10
Future: Super compact (size and weight of V:25) version of Maverick merged with Lonestar (hint hint)

Dreamtheaterrules
Mark IV

Post by Dreamtheaterrules » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:21 pm

big +1 on both, but wait til you get some time with the Crunch channel. It is exceptional! But really, so are all the modes once you dial them in. This amp can seemingly do almost anything. It's the only amp I've ever played, that if for some reason I could only have one amp, I'd be perfectly happy with this one!

streuth
Bottle Rocket

Post by streuth » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:35 am

Yea what ive tried of crunch was really cool although wish crunch was on channel 2
Future: Super compact (size and weight of V:25) version of Maverick merged with Lonestar (hint hint)

Dreamtheaterrules
Mark IV

Post by Dreamtheaterrules » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Play with the Crunch channel and varying the gain, mids and presence knobs. You can get anything from light breakup, to classic rock to hard rock, from smooth to crunchy. Just a KILLER channel. With the gain up to 1:00 or so, varying the mids from 9:00-3:00 gives you a huge variety of tones (and gain levels as the boost kicks in over noon). The presence can be used to open it up or to smooth it out.

I keep repeating the same things over and over about this amp, but I'll say this one again, if it had either clean voice as C1, and the Crunch Channel as C2, and no other voices, it would still be the best amp in it's price range IMO. But the same could be said for Clean/IIC+ or Fat/IV or .... they are all great! But I know what you mean. Mesa has packed so much into this little beast, that EVERYONE is going to have a their "if it had Crunch on C2 instead, it would be perfect" type preferences.

Mesa made this thing SO good, that us users don't want to give anything up. I laugh when I read people say that they really want to be able to footswitch between all 6 voices. Yes, that would be extremely cool. But with volume and EQ differences, not practical. It's just that they've put SO much great stuff in here, we want it all at once. There are no "ah, it's not bad" or "yeah it's pretty good" channels in this thing. They are ALL not only usable, they are all GREAT. 3 years ago, if Mesa had released this but with clean or fat on C1, and IIC+ on C2, and no other voices, it would have sold like crazy, we'd all have gone crazy over it and we'd all be happy. Instead, they gave us so much great stuff, it's sometimes hard to choose which two we want to switch between. I flip them almost daily, and enjoy the heck out of all of them.

MusicManJP6
Donating Member

Post by MusicManJP6 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Dreamtheaterrules wrote:It's the only amp I've ever played, that if for some reason I could only have one amp, I'd be perfectly happy with this one!
I've had mine for about a year and it IS my only amp. I can't afford or justify anything more, nor do I need anything more! I've been more than content with it since day one. They really did a great job with the mini Mark, and it is plenty of power/headroom for my modest needs. I have owned many Mesas in the past including two full size Mark V's (separated by an AXE FX). The Mark series seems to get me the closest to my ideal tone that bounces around my squirrel brain the most. I have no doubt the 35 is one hell of an amp as well that will be a perfect fit for those that need a little more heavy lifting than the mini offers. If the DC-3 is anything of an indicator then I know the balls 4xEL84's can surprisingly put out. They managed to squeeze a good bit of oomph out of even the pair of EL84's in the mini so I bet an updated DC-3 power section would perform even better these days. I'll definitely try one out if I come across one, but I don't expect GAS to be an issue.
Mark V:25 | Mini Rectifier 25 | Mini Rec 1x12 | Fractal Audio FX-8
'06 EBMM JP6 (Mystic Dream) | '15 Epi ES-339 PRO (Cherry) | '11 PRS SE245 (Tobacco Sunburst)
'05 PRS SE Soapbar II (Vintage Cherry) | '92 Peavey Predator USA (Custom)

LesPaul70
Mark III

Post by LesPaul70 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:17 am

MusicManJP6 wrote:
Dreamtheaterrules wrote: I don't expect GAS to be an issue.
...famous last words. :twisted:

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

Post by screamingdaisy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:55 pm

LesPaul70 wrote:
MusicManJP6 wrote:
Dreamtheaterrules wrote: I don't expect GAS to be an issue.
...famous last words. :twisted:
Been there a few times myself... :lol:
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

paulg2uk
Mark III

Post by paulg2uk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:23 pm

Anyone got their hands on a MKV35 yet? I've got to wait till mid dec over here in the UK before they turn up.

cwgatti24
Mark II

Post by cwgatti24 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:03 am

I bought a Mesa Express a few years ago...about two weeks before the Express PLUS came out. I was a little miffed that I missed the PLUS, but the Express was a great amp as it was. I eventually sold it and graduated to the PLUS. To me, MESA is appealing because of their innovation. Naturally a company like MESA is constantly improving design. I think it's great that they upgrade their products regularly. The price of innovation...

Speaking of which, I will probably get this new MarkV:35.

Anyone want a MINT Express 5:50 PLUS?!?!?

mixsit
Mark I

Post by mixsit » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:34 pm

cwgatti24 wrote:I bought a Mesa Express a few years ago...about two weeks before the Express PLUS came out. I was a little miffed that I missed the PLUS, but the Express was a great amp as it was. I eventually sold it and graduated to the PLUS. To me, MESA is appealing because of their innovation. Naturally a company like MESA is constantly improving design. I think it's great that they upgrade their products regularly. The price of innovation...

Speaking of which, I will probably get this new MarkV:35.

Anyone want a MINT Express 5:50 PLUS?!?!?
What's your location? (How's this for a long shot :> )
I have a LSS - like it, just plain not enough clean headroom.

streuth
Bottle Rocket

Post by streuth » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:51 pm

Gigged with my V:25, tons of head room, loved the fat channel and ended up on the Mark IV channel after starting on II+. Took a while to dial in the overdrive I liked but sounded really good by end of night. Was running fat @25 watts and Mark IV @ 10 watts (this band is fairly loud too)

Also got a chance to try cab clone yesterday. Wasn't expecting too much but was really surprised how good it sounded, very happy with that. Would like to try it live.

Just need to find the right speaker. I am using a 1x12 closed back H&K with a vintage 30, but would like to replace that with an open back (either mesa's v30 or c90), not sure yet. Suggestions welcome (Blues/rock/country/jazz/fusion).

Cheers

primal
Single Recto

Post by primal » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:17 pm

streuth wrote:
Just need to find the right speaker. I am using a 1x12 closed back H&K with a vintage 30, but would like to replace that with an open back (either mesa's v30 or c90), not sure yet. Suggestions welcome (Blues/rock/country/jazz/fusion).

Cheers
I love the vintage 30 with this amp but also wanted something maybe a bit "thicker" then your standard 1x12 and went with this.

http://www.gelbmusic.com/p-1070-mesa-0t ... binst.aspx

It's the closed back widebody compact cab, with a couple customizations.

While not open back it is front ported.

Has the Vintage 30 instead of the stock C90.

And has the boogie logo to match the Mark V (90, 35 and 25)
Axe FX II
Mark V 25
JCM 800 2204
Splawn 2x12
Suhr S4
2003 Suhr Classic
1987 ESP Junior
2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gone but not forgotten
Electra Dyne
Stiletto Ace
Road King
Mark IV

streuth
Bottle Rocket

Post by streuth » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:12 pm

primal wrote:
streuth wrote:

Cheers
I love the vintage 30 with this amp but also wanted something maybe a bit "thicker" then your standard 1x12 and went with this.

http://www.gelbmusic.com/p-1070-mesa-0t ... binst.aspx

It's the closed back widebody compact cab, with a couple customizations.

While not open back it is front ported.

Has the Vintage 30 instead of the stock C90.

And has the boogie logo to match the Mark V (90, 35 and 25)
Does the front port give much dispersion (and does it reduce the blast when standing directly in front)?

I have compared the V30 and C90 in a store, and liked the V30 but I think it was also open back and the C90 a closed back so not really an equal comparison.