Best 1x12 Option for Mark Five:25 (home / studio use only)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wave_of

Reaction score
I know this general topic has been talked about numerous times (I did a thread search of the forum! ;) ) but maybe this has a different spin?

Most guys seem to be trying to find a 112 that works for live use. I just want to know some opinions on good 112 options for my newly ordered Mark Five:25 for home (and occasional studio) use. I have my cabs for live use so I'm not concerned at all about volume or that "punch in the guy" feeling. I'm looking hard at the Widebody 112, the Thiele, and maybe some Avatar cabs (any one know anything about the Avatar "cube" 112's?).

I would preferably like the 112 to work well with a variety of speakers. One concern about the Thiele is if I switch out the speakers, is there anything special about it anymore? I know it was meant to be for an EV speaker but now comes with a C90. That makes me lean towards the Widebody.

Thanks!

*Link to Avatar Cube cab: http://avatarspeakers.com/home/product/g112-traditional-cube/

You can get a Thiele with either a C90 or a V30. The C90 sounds a lot like the EV.

More to the point, the Thiele was not so much designed for the EV as it was designed for a specific resonance. It will allow a given speaker to reproduce more low-frequency content than a non-ported cabinet of the same volume. Its a great cab and very small.

The widebody ported is also great and pretty small. It has quite a bit more low-end than the Thiele without being a ton bigger. I know the widebody works well with both V30 and C90. The two speakers have quite a bit of low-end plus their normal spectral characteristics in that cab.

The open-backs also sound good.

It really depends on what you want. Closed-back cabs have more low thump and tend to sound a bit stiff. Small closed-back cabs tend to lose a little (or a lot) of the thump of bigger closed-back cabs, plus they are super-stiff and boxy. They tend to be directional.

Open-back cabs are looser in the lows and are less stiff in the highs. They get a bit of natural reverb in a way. They also rely on some bounce from the back wall. They have better dispersion.

Ported cabs split the difference. They have bigger lows than you'd expect for their size, but also are looser than closed-back. They have nice open highs, but can get screamy. They have decent dispersion.

get an avatar,
and get the oval back that can come out or stay in

in other words,
any closed back 1x12 that has a removable rear panel.

then, you can have either/or

pair with a 2nd similar cabinet,
and have both at once.

You can also get a Mesa Thiele with their Fillmore 75. I have one with the Fillmore and one with the C90. I'd be happy with either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-1x12-WideBody-Closed-Back-Guitar-Cabinet-Black-0TXFBBW-/291516188342?hash=item43dfb806b6
one of my friends has one of these cabs and sounds awesome,,,,has the v30 speaker instead of the c90

I'll probably go for either the widebody or the Avatar. I like the Avatar conversion board option but it's always nice to have a matching cab! Hmm.

Thanks for the replies!

I went a slightly different–but yet similar route. I picked up an open-back Glaswerks GW-112XL and put an EVM12L in it.

<http://www.glaswerks.com/GW112XL.htm>

The sound and tone is really along the lines of what I both expected and wanted. The cleans are full-throated and the only surprise was that the channel 2 settings take a little more work to dial in. Still getting used to Xtreme but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

If you decide to custom order, Glaswerks will build the back of the cab to your specs–closed, open, or convertible. I'm thinking of ordering a convertible back for mine. I really like the open and more airy sound from open-back cabs ;- )

I also have a 2x12 open-back that Glaswerks built for me for my Carol-Ann OD2R. I initially tried that cab with a Celestion CL-80 and the EVM12L but the speaker mismatch was far too apparent for my taste (different speaker efficiency levels). That's when I replaced the EV with another CL-80. When I tried the 2x12 with the V25, it sounded robust (even though the cab was 16 Ohms, the V25 managed very well).

Although I liked the sound of the V25 and the 2x12 cab, the bass seemed to be less pronounced than with the GW-112XL cab. I think the sound, tone and size of the GW-112XL are ideal for home and studio use with the V25.

Latest posts

Back