'Sweetest' speakers for the big V? Blues/Classic, not metal.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mink

Reaction score
Huge speaker question for you V gurus...

I've been renting MK V amps for awhile for sessions and I think I'm in love. The only thing is, I'm not 100% v30s are going to work for me. I'm looking for deep, glassy cleans on Channel 1 (think Lonestar, Silverface Fenders etc), great bluesy rhythm and light lead on Channel 2 (Clapton, Gilmour, probably Edge mode) and creamy 70s era Santana leads on Channel 3.

I don't play metal. When I need tons of gain it's gonna be a Fuzz Face.

What speakers do I want in a vertical slant 2x12? Golds maybe? I really don't need to shred faces off when I play; I want to use the V more as an amp library for more classic tones with a 335 and a Strat.

fr0sty said:
My favorite speaker with the V is a celestion gold.

I've heard this with Mesas in general, and I'm definitely curious! Can you describe what makes the Gold a bullseye?

I don't play a lot of metal and I'm quite happy with the stock speaker in my combo. C90 I believe. However, I set my combo on top of a lone star 410 with Jensens. It sounds really good. I have what I call surgical cleans lol. I also have a RK412 cabinet I have run the combo thru and I do like it slightly better. I would like to get a MV head for the 412. The c90's in the RK412 are my favorite but i do like the combination. Good Luck.

Multi-speaker cabs with a mix of alnico/ceramic and paper/hemp. or, skip the paper entirely.
sound breaks down this way:
1/3 guitar
1/3 pickups
1/3 speakers
1/3 amp and that is mostly the transformers
Tonetubbys are the ****.. too bad they're so expensive, but I figure what the heck, if you're buying good equipment to use 20 years or so.. the price averages out over time.
No point in buying crap - only the best.

I like how that the high's are strong, but not harsh. It also doesn't get too congested/honky in the mids. Lastly, the bass stays nice and tight. I have a single gold in an open back avatar premier vintage 1x12.

The Mink said:
fr0sty said:
My favorite speaker with the V is a celestion gold.

I've heard this with Mesas in general, and I'm definitely curious! Can you describe what makes the Gold a bullseye?

For the tones you're going for the first thing I'd do is look at open back cabs instead of closed back. The Lonestar 212 with C90 speakers would be a good place to start.

Well, I do have my LSS 1x12 with a C90 nicely broken in, so I guess I'll try the Mk V head through it. I know I need to move more ait than a 1x12, but at least I'll know the basic sound.

I found that a gold paired with a G12h30 in a dumble-style open back cab was really sweet. My favorite though is an open back with a Cannabis Rex on top of a widebody closed back with an MC90. That is a delicious sound with my mk V.

himmelhund said:
Multi-speaker cabs with a mix of alnico/ceramic and paper/hemp. or, skip the paper entirely.
sound breaks down this way:
1/3 guitar
1/3 pickups
1/3 speakers
1/3 amp and that is mostly the transformers
Tonetubbys are the sh!t too bad they're so expensive, but I figure what the heck, if you're buying good equipment to use 20 years or so.. the price averages out over time.
No point in buying crap - only the best.

I'm not a math genius, but.... :?: :D

(Edit: Thank you Yogi Berra for that breakdown. :lol: )

Back