FX Loop w/Line 6 M5 or M9 (delay) - Help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I'm not a NoOb to tube amps, or Boogies...... But I've really NEVER used a FX loop in my life! I've always been an "in front of the amp" type of guy and it's worked well for me, up until now. I do know there's Line and instrument level, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. (Now, if ask me about any boutique pedal and I can probably answer you about those)?

I have a Line 6 M5 (and M9) with several delay patches I'd use throughout the night for different songs. About 50% of the time, it's just bypassed for rhythm, but when I kick on the FX loop, it also boosts my volume. I've tried adjusting the FX level on the back of the amp, but that seems to affect the over-all amp volume too and I still get a boost when I engage the FX loop.

Does anyone use their M5 (or M9) in the loop? If so, how do you avoid this volume boost? Is there a setting in my M5 that I need to change?

Which delays are you using? There are several models that actually are modelled to affect your tone as the real pedal would, then there are variations with "dry thru" in the name which should be pretty transparent.

I used to have the m13 and I don't recall having to mess with any levels in the pedal. I use an HD500 now for FX but the routing/levels is a whole other animal.

dbagchee said:
Which delays are you using? There are several models that actually are modelled to affect your tone as the real pedal would, then there are variations with "dry thru" in the name which should be pretty transparent.

I used to have the m13 and I don't recall having to mess with any levels in the pedal. I use an HD500 now for FX but the routing/levels is a whole other animal.

Mainly the Digital Delay setting. I've tried some of the others, but as you said, they mess with the tone a little.

It sounds like you are turning the loop on and off via the V's footswitch. Is that correct? Have you tried lowering the loop level control on the back of your V?

With the MkV, when using Eventide Factor pedals I was able to get the same volume with the amp's FX loop engaged or bypassed. Just keep adjusting the rear panel loop knob as you compare loop on or bypassed.

I have used Line6 M9 with the MkV:25 and it seems to be real close to unity gain when I pull the plug feeding the loop return. (Which amounts to bypassing the loop, taking the M9 out of the signal path)

Now some of the M9 delays, especially the dynamic, add a bit of boost when engaged. I haven't found any workarounds. Same with the tremolo. Hard to get unity gain comparing engaged or bypassed.

Latest posts

Back