Here's what Fractal is doing to our music

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad696

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBmM79YadYM

Ok this is actually pretty cool LOL.. still, fractal is killing all tone.

Here's what James sounds like on a Triple rec, Kirk is playing on a Mark IV wired as a pre-amp through a Dual Rec....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjjCp_QU5Qk

and here's what the "same" song sounds like through a fractal FX.... This is how they started on it because it would have cost a fucking fortune to ship their gear to the antarctic.... guessing they loved the extra dough saved in shipping and stuck with it but who knows. Kirks sound is especially horrid. The recording and production crew is the same as it's been since Live **** BAP.... the difference is the fractal ****, it sounds awful here and it sounds awful live. I'm going on a torrent and im sorry, ... tube guys back me up here. these bands going AxeFX sound like **** right? or have i blown out my ears? Sounds awful.. even worse live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOr8OYfMl0

Hypnotoad696 said:
Here's what James sounds like on a Triple rec, Kirk is playing on a Mark IV wired as a pre-amp through a Dual Rec....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjjCp_QU5Qk

Rectifiers did not exist in 1991...

Hypnotoad696 said:
and here's what the "same" song sounds like through a fractal FX.... This is how they started on it because it would have cost a f%&# fortune to ship their gear to the antarctic.... guessing they loved the extra dough saved in shipping and stuck with it but who knows. Kirks sound is especially horrid. The recording and production crew is the same as it's been since Live sh!t BAP.... the difference is the fractal sh!t it sounds awful here and it sounds awful live. I'm going on a torrent and im sorry, ... tube guys back me up here. these bands going AxeFX sound like sh!t right? or have i blown out my ears? Sounds awful.. even worse live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOr8OYfMl0

From what I've read that's a monitor mix and not the live feed.

nooooooooooo i'm quite sure they brought their live crew down there. Not sure they'd even have a choice.. they still play under a record label which wont let them release anything live than isn't hella produced or autotuned to **** (see - that violin concert or whatever)... even so, there's plenty on youtube post 2012 thats very produced and such.... just doesn't sound the same man. dont deny it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CT5X4ehE8Q&list=RD4CT5X4ehE8Q#t=305

if you're a fan theres the whole thing. obviously jame's voice goes down... but youtube something from 2014 professionally recorded and tell me the guitar sound isnt compressed and horeshit compared to this. Again... this is James on a tripple rec... Kirk is on a Mark IV wired as a pre-amp through a dual rec... the stuff they have done post re-load has been all fractal and its just asssssssssssssssssssssss . . people.

ahh hell, you're right, ... I'm thinking the black/load days... i know they were on boogies still in the 91 im referencing.. Triaxis? Mark III? I'm actually curious now that I was obviously mistaken. My point remains though.... it's a way fucking better tone than their 2013 and on fractal... right?

So... James must be on a Mark III in 91, and Kirk is on a 4 with his pretty much constant rack wah? **** im all messed up now I thought the recs were out in 90. my world has been flipped. Thanks a lot Elepetero!! lol

I assed myself there with the rec dates, and I'll date and fanboy myself further I was an early member or metclub, so I was able to get into some of those private type shows.... NY in 98, and the spring break thing they called "reload, rehears, request"... I know for a fact at that one is was a triple rec, and kirk was a mark 4 preamped into a dual rec.. i talked with him about it for 3 seconds. maybe one second i dunno i blacked out cuz i was talking to him.. but is was all boogie tubess.. The spring break show I saw a some roadsters as well... but it sure wans't fractal. I can't upload anything from the spring break rehearsal, but you can find it on bittorent, tell me that isn't the best sound you've ever heard...

You sure do like to reply to your own posts.

While I'll admit whatever that 3rd thing you posted was sounded terrible, I can assure you the Axe FX II (or generation 1 standard and ultra) do anything BUT kill tone. I can make any amp or device sound bad with bad settings.

I've owned a bunch of boogies and used many more. And have owned the standard, the ultra and currently own the Axe FX II.

All Fractal Products have been top of the line and amazing.

I originally owned the Ultra, sold it to fund the Axe FX II. But when the waiting list for the II came out I could not go that long without an Axe FX and picked up a used Standard till my name came up on the list for the II.

Don't judge it till you've spent some serious time with it.

I stopped listening to Metallica after "And Justice for All"...hated the sound they got on album too...hehe.
True story, I requested "Fade to Black" on a local radio station. Guy at the station says, "We don't play that **** here!!"...and hung up on my ***. Of course, they're playing "that ****" now.

Anyhow...one of my all time favorite shows:

ozzy_metallica.jpg

I think it unfair to ask us to compare sound quality by using online audio. Get some uncompressed full audio to compare. Live the tones would sound fuller than what these recordings show.

I wouldn't hate on the Axe FX or other amp modelers too much. They serve a place.

Going back to Megadeth - United Abominations which was recorded using custom Line 6 heads designed to emulate classic Marshalls used in 80's 'deth albums. The album sounded pretty good, the tour with those heads, not as awesome (which I think goes to the crux of your complaint). Classic songs performed on modern technology can, and has in the past, sound like ***. However, most of the listening audience cannot tell the difference between a good tone and a bad tone, let alone the original tone and the updated one.

Now, everyone I know who uses an Axe FX have all basically said the same things about why they like them: A range of tones that would require multiple amps to cover. The ability to take their rig from home to jam space to stage to studio in one rack. The consistency of tone and performance.

If I ever decide I want Lonestar cleans with my Mark V tones, and don't want to buy the head, who knows, and AXE FX might be in my future too.

primal said:
:lol: :lol:

primal said:
While I'll admit whatever that 3rd thing you posted was sounded terrible, I can assure you the Axe FX II (or generation 1 standard and ultra) do anything BUT kill tone. I can make any amp or device sound bad with bad settings.

I've owned a bunch of boogies and used many more. And have owned the standard, the ultra and currently own the Axe FX II.

I originally owned the Ultra, sold it to fund the Axe FX II. But when the waiting list for the II came out I could not go that long without an Axe FX and picked up a used Standard till my name came up on the list for the II.

+1. I've never played through one, but I'm amazed at the sound they can produce.

Every Fractal unit I've had the pleasure of playing through has been top notch.
I guess it's the old
"those that can't, teach"
then
"those who cannot teach, start retarded threads bitching about an imagined problem while under the influence of cough syrup"

A modeler can never be the same as the thing it's modeling, right? The best it can do it 99.99% or whatever but there will always be some difference. It might be "so close it doesn't matter" but I don't think it's there yet. Something about moving air molecules in a room that we don't have the math for just yet. I still feel that any tube amp + any dynamic mic + any preamp is going to have more depth, character, and musicality than the best modeler. They just sound flat and boring to me.

Most modelers are based on a convolution response of an amp cabinet. It's the same theory of taking a convolution response of a hall or room and turning it into a reverb. But take two impulses of the same room without touching anything, will they be identical? No, because of chaos theory or whatever. That one repeated moment captured in an impulse is not the same as the real thing.

A convolution reverb sounds OK on its own but it flat and terrible in a mix – you would assume the opposite because it's not as revealing in a mix, but try it. Same as a modeling amp. Every time I've gotten lazy and used a modeling amp instead of micing up a cabinet, I have always regretted it later on.

synthetic said:
A modeler can never be the same as the thing it's modeling, right? The best it can do it 99.99% or whatever but there will always be some difference. It might be "so close it doesn't matter" but I don't think it's there yet. Something about moving air molecules in a room that we don't have the math for just yet. I still feel that any tube amp + any dynamic mic + any preamp is going to have more depth, character, and musicality than the best modeler. They just sound flat and boring to me.

Most modelers are based on a convolution response of an amp cabinet. It's the same theory of taking a convolution response of a hall or room and turning it into a reverb. But take two impulses of the same room without touching anything, will they be identical? No, because of chaos theory or whatever. That one repeated moment captured in an impulse is not the same as the real thing.

A convolution reverb sounds OK on its own but it flat and terrible in a mix – you would assume the opposite because it's not as revealing in a mix, but try it. Same as a modeling amp. Every time I've gotten lazy and used a modeling amp instead of micing up a cabinet, I have always regretted it later on.

I understand what you're saying, and you make some excellent points. Especially pointing out how taking two impulses in the same room without touching anything will not be identical. I would argue that something has changed if they are not identical, even if you are not able to identify what that change is, but in a sense that is the point. Regardless of the reason there is an unpredictability in analog.

That said, with reference to only being able to model something 99.99%, consider this.

Two tube amps of the same model will sound at least slightly different due to component tolerances alone.
The same tube amp with a different set of tubes will sound slightly different due to tolerances with tubes.
Hell, my stiletto sounded different when I kept the same tubes in it and rotated them to different slots. I found the tubes from two separate slots (same manufacturer 12ax7) even made a difference (albeit slight) in tone.

My JCM 800 2204 is a 1989 and it ate my buddies 83 2204 for lunch, contrary to what the "purists" would tell you. He offered to trade thinking I would bite on the whole vertical input thing, I said no chance!

In a couple weeks I'll put together a blind amp test.
I'll do a shootout between a real JCM 800 and the Axe FX II on the latest firmware.

I'll also do the Mark V 25 vs the Axe FX and we will see who can accurately pick the real tube amp.

I certainly understand the pull to tube amps. As you can see I still own tube amps and LOVE them. There are more boogies in my future no doubt!

But don't confuse the Axe FX with your average modeler. Spend some time with one first! If you still don't like it, then I guess it's not for you. It's not for everybody.

But I'm will to bet most people will have a hard time identifying the real amp vs the axe fx in a blind amp test.

Give me some time (and an empty house for a few hours) and I'll throw that together. Will be fun.

primal said:
But I'm will to bet most people will have a hard time identifying the real amp vs the axe fx in a blind amp test.

In fairness, most people would have a hard time identifying a tube amp vs a DS-1 and would believe the DS-1 to be a tube amp if you didn't tell them first.

screamingdaisy said:
primal said:

In fairness, most people would have a hard time identifying a tube amp vs a DS-1 and would believe the DS-1 to be a tube amp if you didn't tell them first.

True!

Hell "most" people (when including those who don't play guitar) couldn't tell the difference between a 69 plexi and a solid state Peavey Bandit.

primal said:

+ 2

Roland

primal said:
synthetic said:

I understand what you're saying, and you make some excellent points. Especially pointing out how taking two impulses in the same room without touching anything will not be identical. I would argue that something has changed if they are not identical, even if you are not able to identify what that change is, but in a sense that is the point. Regardless of the reason there is an unpredictability in analog.

That said, with reference to only being able to model something 99.99%, consider this.

Two tube amps of the same model will sound at least slightly different due to component tolerances alone.
The same tube amp with a different set of tubes will sound slightly different due to tolerances with tubes.
Hell, my stiletto sounded different when I kept the same tubes in it and rotated them to different slots. I found the tubes from two separate slots (same manufacturer 12ax7) even made a difference (albeit slight) in tone.

My JCM 800 2204 is a 1989 and it ate my buddies 83 2204 for lunch, contrary to what the "purists" would tell you. He offered to trade thinking I would bite on the whole vertical input thing, I said no chance!

In a couple weeks I'll put together a blind amp test.
I'll do a shootout between a real JCM 800 and the Axe FX II on the latest firmware.

I'll also do the Mark V 25 vs the Axe FX and we will see who can accurately pick the real tube amp.

I certainly understand the pull to tube amps. As you can see I still own tube amps and LOVE them. There are more boogies in my future no doubt!

But don't confuse the Axe FX with your average modeler. Spend some time with one first! If you still don't like it, then I guess it's not for you. It's not for everybody.

Give me some time (and an empty house for a few hours) and I'll throw that together. Will be fun.

I'm looking forward to this! I have never seen a blind shootout done. I am a tube guy for sure but I also think an Axe FX is in my future. I will never get rid of my Mesa's but it will still be a nice tool to have. Plus there is another advantage to the axe fx.... My best tone is when I run my triple rec and mark iv in stereo but if I'm playing in a bar I'm not going to bring 2 half stacks, so I have to pick which amp I want to bring. That right there is a bit of a compromise. Since the axe can do 2 amps at once then maybe I can have both amps at a gig.
I don't know the answer to this, and realistically I don't know that there is an easy answer but what would sound better? My one amp, which is a compromise, or the axe through a mesa cab modeling both amps? Who knows but I would like to find out! And if it doesn't work out the way I want then I'll use the axe in the 4 cable method for effects. Or I'll use it when I want a tone other than the Mesa collection I have.

I absolutely see the reasoning to use them live. Metallica says the money saved allows them to play more shows, which is a perfect justification. But I think they will use the real deal in the studio.

Back