wah wahs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad696

Reaction score
Again, not exactly a mark v post, but since we all use the v well, I can't think of a better spot :). I'm using two wahs right now, a Clyde for clean/funk type ****, and a Hammett crybaby for gain heavy leads. The Clyde loses some sweep on high gain, and the hammett sounds a bit thin and well, just not too great on cleans, though it's sweep range on high gain is phenomenal. Seriously that pedal just wails on high gain, which I suppose was the point as its endorsed by a metal god. Anyways, sick of using both. Anyone currently using a wah that they are very happy with on cleans and gains?

Cantrell wah.

It has a fairly narrow sweep and won't hit the highs or lows some other ways are capable of, but the entire range is gold.

RMC all the way , cleans and dirt. Think its a 2 not sure. It out performes all my old wahs. Retired my Jimi and my vox. The RMC 's just sound good low, gain high cleans.

RMC-8, Equalizer (or Eqwahlizer) ...hands down.

Not only does it have the most organic tone and balanced sweep with a hi/Lo cut underneath the upper 'sweeper' piece, but it has an active 8-band eq which is helpful for (1) boosting and cutting different areas per your taste of the moment and (2) setting your tone based on the size and type of room you're playing for that gig, jam, etc.

DEFINITELY worth a test drive!

I use an original Cry Baby. It works very well. I'm not one to use it much though. I use it on Dire Straights "Money For Nothing" cover and then a on some zztop leads cause I don't like using a slide..LOL.. For ZZ Top It gives it some interesting texture so I don't have to deal with a slide on my hand or find time to pick it up and then discard it after the lead.

The tone is cool, not too harsh, thin or sharp and it turns on and off easily. On and off every time no problem. Mine is kinda noisey if I don't use a battery. Probably my power supply is cheap or something cause my compressor is the same way. both in front of the amp so it's touchy on power.

I've owned, recorded and gig with: original Dunlop crybaby - sweet sound not much sweep.
Zak Wilde Dunlop - deeper sweet sound, large deep sweep.
IBanez screaming demon - digital sounding and weird.
Morley vai - higher freq sound with a high freq sweep, not much lows.
Then to my favorite I have used since 07 and I will never give it up
The Dunlop dcr2sr custom shop rak wah.
It is very expensive for a wah. you can adjust any piece of the sound, eq, boost, sweep, freq range, and for the best part is no noise, just pure wah sound, no pots in the way. The dcr2sr and dcr1sr is what is in every proffessional guitar players rack. Hammett for instance has a signature Dunlop crybaby that he does not use as he uses his dcr1sr rack, his controller pedals on stage are empty signature shells that control his rack wah. Save up and get the rack wah and you will never look back, if I would have done that originally it would have cheaper as I bought several wahs to find the rack.

I have the Dunlop 535Q. It's great, has adjustable ranges, I have it set low like Cantrell with a very narrow Q. It is a little heavy so I don't bring it out much unfortunately.

nathan28 said:
Then to my favorite I have used since 07 and I will never give it up
The Dunlop dcr2sr custom shop rak wah.

Nathan, I agree. I have a CAE wah and think it's great, if you have tried it how does it compare to the Dunlop rack wah? Alternatively which pedal do you consider best gets close to the rack wah?

Thanks.

Never tried the CAE wah. You can dial in the rack wah to pretty much soundi like any of the dunlop standalone wahs. One of the biggest advantages I noticed about the rack wah over the pedals is the quality of the sound, pedal wahs can be noisy and even scratchy sometimes due to the pots they have, with the rack wah the pedal is just a voltage controller, because of this you get no noise whatsoever just pure wah tone that you can literally dial in however you want.

thunda1216 said:
original Budda Bud Wah

This!

I was a wah ***** until I got this 12 years ago... My most used and longest lasting pedal!

Not a selling point, but worth mentioning....I've probably only changed the battery 3 or 4 times in 12 years.

I use two different wah's

for funk, blues, lil dirty to clean etc. I use an ernie ball wah

for metal and everything else heavy I use a Dunlop zakk wylde wah

love them both and they do what I need very well...

Back