Mark V 25 headphone out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatDamnSG

Reaction score
How is it as far as tone and volume? I've seen some complaints about the standalone CabClone saying the headphone out isn't loud enough unless you crank the amp's volume way up. Is this also the case on the Mark V 25? I had an F-50 and thought the headphone out on it was actually really good. Would hope the one on the 25 was at least as good if not better. Can any V 25 owners chime in on this? Thanks.

MusicManJP6 said:
Never tried it! Maybe I should just for giggles...

Yeah man, let me know if you do. I've heard lower impedance headphones work best, for whatever that's worth.

Sounds ok out of my crappy headphones. The volumes need to be tweaked a bit but that's to be expected.

Headphone out sounds good to me. Not miced amp good, but very usable.

You do have to turn it up, but not louder then you would if you were playing with a drummer.

One thing I ran into with my headphone out. I did not try it often so if I am wrong someone please correct me.

But it seemed if I plugged a mono cable (your average guitar patch chord) into the headphone out to run into something else I got no output. It seemed it had to be stereo. This is of course not a real issue as you can just use the xlr out. But just something I came across worth noting.

For me, the headphone out was kind of finicky on my Mark 5:25. I used several different pairs of headphones and all had the same issue: the masters had to be seriously cranked to achieve adequate output. On the clean channel, it just about always started clipping when I reached a proper headphone volume. I reached out to Mesa Boogie about this (side note: those guys are seriously the nicest people on the planet) and after going over the headphones I was using and a few other things, we tried a power tube swap, to no avail. In the end, we came to the conclusion that it works best with a headphone amplifier/mixer, like the dirt cheap Behringer MA400, which ended up working perfectly for me.

Hello!

I can agree that with cheaper headphones, the sound out of the headphone jack it sounds not so good.
I have AKG K240 and with these, the sound is really good, but when I use headphones with my amp, then I connect my Two Notes Torpedo Live to the main output of the amp and connect the headphones to the Two Notes Torpedo Live. This way the sound is really good.

2B

The headphone out needs about another 10dB of level. Yeah you can dime the masters and it kinda gets closer, but it would be nice to leave them set normally and turn up the 'phones output. I use high quality phones from Beyer and Sennheiser.

As italianoman12 mentioned above, once I put it through an external headphone amp, I could set the level properly. And it sounded great.

So, yeah, they could have put in a better internal headphone amp. But, really, half the magic is in the speaker cab and the room ... and the glassware rattling in the dining room cabinets. :lol:

And the Cabclone does otherwise work as advertised.

I would have to agree that the headphone out could use about 10 more db. I have some KRK 8400's and it's impossible to get a clean tone with any headroom because I have to crank the volume to about 2-3:00 to get a decent volume. I have a cheap headphone amp, I'll give that a shot.

I think headphone out is very very decent. Sure it's not as great as mic'ing a cab and getting that sound in your ear but man I like the headphone out lots.

I'm running nice, low impedance, $400 Weston in ear monitor headphones. And I think that's an important factor.

Cheap headphones won't sound great.

Back