Need Settings for Country Rock - Edge Mode????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4406cuda

Reaction score
Hi All!

I am looking for a great Country Rock sound. I am looking for something that has a fat sound that is good for rhythm's and lead. Something with medium gain that cleans up well.

I am using a Strat and Tele.

I am thinking the Edge Mode might be best.

Thanks in ADvance

playing country through a boogie :roll: :roll:

j/k to each his own. I doubt you'll find a lot of folks here who dial in country tones however. My guess would be Ch1 on bold, then tweak the gain til you hit it right. MAYBE channel 2 on mark 1 with low gain?

4406cuda said:
Hi All!

I am looking for a great Country Rock sound. I am looking for something that has a fat sound that is good for rhythm's and lead. Something with medium gain that cleans up well.

I am using a Strat and Tele.

I am thinking the Edge Mode might be best.

Thanks in ADvance

I've played that style on occasion. Tbh, the best country rock sound I've gotten has been by using the mkIIC mode and 6L6s with the gain dialed back to about 1000/1030. Kick on a tubescreamer for leads.

There's more than one way to do what you want. It also depends on what type of country rock you are after. Have you ever heard of blackberry smoke? I get that on crunch with the gain around 1:00 and the channel volume on 12:00. Treble and mids between 10 and 1, bass around 9/10. Presence to taste.

I play in a country band and a rock n roll band and the V excells in both. For the country band, I use Tweed at 90w for clean, and for mid gain i use Mark 1 mode with the gain set around noon and my volume rolled back on the guitar. Presence is set around 2:30, this opens it up a lot. adjust bass to taste. I've gotten several tone compliments with this band. I used to use edge mode but it wouldn't sing the way I like on the solos. With the Mark 1 mode i just up the volume on the guitar and get more singing. I also us M IV mode some for the few high gain stuff. Hope this helps. The V will do country or anything live extremely well.

fr0sty said:
There's more than one way to do what you want. It also depends on what type of country rock you are after. Have you ever heard of blackberry smoke? I get that on crunch with the gain around 1:00 and the channel volume on 12:00. Treble and mids between 10 and 1, bass around 9/10. Presence to taste.

I am a big fan of Blackberry Smoke, in-fact I was listening to their latest release last night.

That is not the sound I am after for this band. We have a female singer who also plays fiddle. We cover the following artisits.

Martina McBride, Miranda Lambert, Sugarland, Linda Ronstadt, Fleetwood Mac, Ladt Antebellum, Gretchen Wilson, Sara Evans, Heart, Trisha Yearwood, etc

BTW, I have had this amp since 2009 and have used it for Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal and it has been perfect. I am sure there is some Country Rock with some Twang in there.

Tucker44 said:
I play in a country band and a rock n roll band and the V excells in both. For the country band, I use Tweed at 90w for clean, and for mid gain i use Mark 1 mode with the gain set around noon and my volume rolled back on the guitar. Presence is set around 2:30, this opens it up a lot. adjust bass to taste. I've gotten several tone compliments with this band. I used to use edge mode but it wouldn't sing the way I like on the solos. With the Mark 1 mode i just up the volume on the guitar and get more singing. I also us M IV mode some for the few high gain stuff. Hope this helps. The V will do country or anything live extremely well.

I would like to try those two modes.

Are you using the preset EQ's or sliders? Where do you have the channel volumes and gain set?

Thanks!

For modes I use the preset eq set at about 10 oclock.

Tweed-90watts Gain-12 Vol-11 Pres-11 Treb-12 mid-9:30 Bass-11 a compressor in front helps with the country pickin. Think Merle Haggard "Just stay here and drink"

Mark 1-90 watts Gain-1 Vol-10 pres-2:30 Treb-12:30 mid-10 Bass-11

MIV mode 90 watts Gain-2 vol-9 pres 10:30 treb-12 mid-10 bass-10:30

These are my live settings for clean, mid and high gain. I adjust wattage down for some smaller venues.
IMHO the tweed clean is a brighter clean and therefore cuts thru in the mix better.

Also, I use a C90 combo on top of a lonestar 410 cabinet. Have fun!

The band I work with plays everything. I have gotten into Telecasters for the past 10 or so years. Just work the guitar volume. I actually have channel 2 and 3 dialed in for flat out rock. Channel 1 in tweed mode, crystal clean. I just back the guitar volume off for the country stuff. The edge in channel 3 actually sounds really nice backed off. It gets very responsive to the pick. Back the guitar volume off to the point that it has a nice sparkle to it when picking nicely. (not slammin the strings) Then when you dig in a bit it will drive real nice just by varying how hard you pick the strings. It works very well for Blues also, just switch to the neck pickup. I usually do Blues on channel 2. Single coil pickups work great with the Mark V. I also put a compressor in front of the amp and that really brings out the sparkle and evens out the strings. I have a 3 pickup Tele made from parts off of eBay (3 single coil pickups), and a 52 reissue (2 pickup) that has been hot rodded and they both sing with the Mark V. Well they sing with my F-30 too. Telecasters, very cool tone, and lots of tones to use running the volume. It is so nice to play complete songs, go from sparkle clean to crunch rythem to blazing drive and back and never change the channel.

and stock Telecasters never seem to cut it. Gota tweak em.

Thanks everyone.

I got to try tweed with the band last night and it was great, just what I was looking for. It worked well by it self and I also used a Wampler compressor and Paisly overdrive with it.

In channel 2 I tried the Mark 1 mode. I am still not sure which mode will work best for my band. I have tried all three modes in channel 2. I think Mark 1 might be best, because it is very thick sounding.

I was using 90 watt full power. Preset EQ on Channels 1 and 2. Channel 3 I used the sliders. I only used channel 3 for one solo, Black Velvet - Allanah Myles cover.

Latest posts

Back