Mark V Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzwardo

Reaction score
I have a new Mark V head and I have a question. I turned the amp on a waited about a minute for it to warm up and started playing and I noticed all the channel lights on the footswitch were lit up and the amp started popping and clicking really bad until I selected a channel on the footswitch then it immediately stopped. Then I turned the amp off and did that process again and the exact thing happened. Is this normal for it to click and pop when you turn the amp on and do not select a channel on the footswitch immediately?

it is normal for all the lights on the footswitch to light up when turning on the amp but the popping and clicking is not..
make sure the cable is fully seated in each position,,,,im sure you have already done that though...make sure both ends and inputs are free of any dust etc.

Thanks. I was experimenting running my pedals and my V 25 in stereo with my Mark V and I may have crossed a cable. I let the amp sit for a few minutes and it is not clicking or popping anymore. So I don't know. It did freak me out. All I did was run my guitar into my TC Electronics X4 Delay and then ran the outputs to the input on each amp.
mesa metal said:
it is normal for all the lights on the footswitch to light up when turning on the amp but the popping and clicking is not..
make sure the cable is fully seated in each position,,,,im sure you have already done that though...make sure both ends and inputs are free of any dust etc.

izzwardo said:
I have a new Mark V head and I have a question. I turned the amp on a waited about a minute for it to warm up and started playing and I noticed all the channel lights on the footswitch were lit up and the amp started popping and clicking really bad until I selected a channel on the footswitch then it immediately stopped. Then I turned the amp off and did that process again and the exact thing happened. Is this normal for it to click and pop when you turn the amp on and do not select a channel on the footswitch immediately?

It's normal, but I don't think you selected a channel for some time. It will only do that if you've let it sit lit and unselected for a long time, like ten minutes or so. If it clicks immediately, it's because you didn't properly seat the midi cable, but then just selecting a channel won't usually stop the clicking. I'm pretty sure you didn't select a channel for some time, rather than almost "immediately".

Yeah I think your right. For some reason I let the amp sit to long without selecting a channel. I hope that is all it was
Archlute75 said:
izzwardo said:

It's normal, but I don't think you selected a channel for some time. It will only do that if you've let it sit lit and unselected for a long time, like ten minutes or so. If it clicks immediately, it's because you didn't properly seat the midi cable, but then just selecting a channel won't usually stop the clicking. I'm pretty sure you didn't select a channel for some time, rather than almost "immediately".

izzwardo said:
Yeah I think your right. For some reason I let the amp sit to long without selecting a channel. I hope that is all it was
Archlute75 said:
izzwardo said:

Should be fine then, man. I've had that happen a few times when I'm spacing out tuning or intonating before playing, and it never hurts anything. Just confuses the midi switcher is all.

Yeah and scaring the &%* out of me! At least its been working fine for an hour or so now. I play tonite so I think I will bring my V 25 just in case the Mark V acts up which I don't think it will.

That clicking noise is the relays in the amp opening and closing. If the footswitch cable is loose things can get caught "in between" and the relays don't know what to do. A little bit of clicking is perfectly normal when first firing it up, though.

Latest posts

Back