it came with el34s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad696

Reaction score
My V is waiting at my house as we speak and its loaded with 34s and not 6s. Anyone toy with this ever. I mean I'll make my own judgment in a few hours here, but I dont have any 6s laying around to swap and compare. Thoughts on the 34s anyone? Thanks

Do it, and report your findings. Maybe we could all benefit from your experience. Sometimes you just got to jump into the deep end and go for it.
Don't be afraid! You can do it!

I did read an old post on this topic. Some guys had one opinion, others had the exact opposite lol. The only consensus was the cleans weren't quite as good and lost a bit of headroom with the 34s. But then it was like oh for a metallicay sound the 34s rip! Next post... For a metallicay tone, the 6l6s dominate.. Ha. Anyone spent a realistic amount of time with BOTh sets? The other thread on it was basically folks saying what they currently had loaded up was better heh .

Is the Mark V new? I thought new ones came with 6L6s.
Anyway, I ran EL34s for over a year. I thought they worked
best in a two guitar band. The frequencies are more focused
and two dimensional which allows room for the other guitar.

The 6L6s, to me, sound more round and 3D like. This
benefits me now since I'm in a mostly one guitar band
where I need to rely on more cleans and fill more space.

New, they should've come with 6l6s, but 34s are better, imo. The drive is crunchier, warmer, and less grainy. The cleans are beautiful with the 6s, but I just can't handle the fizz that comes with them on channel 3 especially. The cleans aren't bad with the 34s, so I stick with them because the gain is do much richer and ballsier.

Only can compare to the 6l6 in my old mark iv. But so far I'm lovinv the 34s. Gain seems more focused yet more saturates real easy.I'll give a full imvession in a few months when I tetube her with some 6s

T

Obviously, both power tube types have their pros and cons...you did a search already and possibly found my earlier posts on the subject, so I'm not repeating everything here, I'll just summarize my experiences:

Channel 1: 6L6s rule here, no question. More headroom, deeper and prettier bell-like cleans. To get a comparable tone from EL34s, you need to EQ heavily. (However, I've recently discovered I actually love the clean modes with EL34s when playing in a band - their improved definition allows me to actually hear what exactly I am playing in the mix, every single note in a chord, much better than the cleans of any other Mesa I own.)

Channel 2: EL34s rule here. Pretty dull and dead with 6L6s. EL34s give it some life, nice crunch and a much-desired British accent.

Channel 3: Both tube types work here, but the results will be slightly different. 6L6s give you more low-end thump and authority but their harsh and piercing top end can be hard to tame. EL34s give you more midrange grind and aggression and sweeter top end but their frequency response can feel narrower. I believe that the reason why some people prefer EL34s for Metallica tones is because some of the most classic recorded album sounds were Boogie amps slaved into Marshalls, which is easier to emulate with EL34s than with 6L6s.

You can't go wrong with either IMO. It boils down to personal preference. Decide which sounds are the most important to you, and use tubes that make those modes shine. Please do try both power tube types.
A good EQ pedal in the loop can often 'fix' the shortcomings of one power tube type, at least to a degree.

yeah the ELs kill on ch3... i "borrowed" some 6s from by friend, dropped out the reverb tank for easy changing... and yeah... the ELs killed on high gain ch3.. no doubt. more aggressive. more growl. though I'm pretty sure i blew some wax too deep in my ear and need to see a doctor now. either that or i actually dammaged my ears. worth it. mark V ear dammage thread started. out

Definitely give it a try and tell us what you think. Seems like 90% of the Tube posts here were like me, making the change from 6L6's to EL34's. I would be interested to see what you think about going the other direction.

After swapping in the EL34's I felt like Channel 2 and 3 really took on the tone I was looking for, and the change to Channel 1 wasn't anything a little knob tweaking couldn't fix. Channels 2 and 3 had a lot more growl and better articulation. Channel 3 now has the rhythm tones I had hoped for with the 34's and if I crank the master on Channel 2 in Crunch mode it gets me a lot closer to a more British sounding tone, very tight and bright.

I've gone back and forth over the last few years and generally prefer 6L6s. Bigger, more open and more versatile. Additionally, I use the power sagging features a lot and the variac and triode modes work better with 6L6s.

Hi Daisy, long time no see!

You were a very active poster when I joined (and long before my time), and your posts were always educational and entertaining to read. Good to see you're back! :D

Needed a break. The time away has saved me a lot of money. :)

I've been back online for less than 48 hours and already I'm gassing for Strymon's new delay and I'm super excited to see Mesa made a "Mark V Special" (although I would've been happier to see it with 4xEL84).

I switch back and forth between 6L6s and EL34s, but generally tend to prefer the EL34s.

fr0sty said:
"It Came with el-34's" sounds like a 50's b sci-fi movie :)
4 or 8 tentacles ? important for the choice of tubes...

I'm a EL34 fan in the MkV, I'll never go back to 6L6GC. Well, I could if there were no keyboard or bass in the band !
The EL34 really cut through and set the guitar in the right place in the mix.

Latest posts

Back