Should I change tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andretoscano

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I will be purchasing a mint second-hand Mark V this coming weekend (I hope!).

As I don't know the owner or what kind of pounding the amp has taken so far, and since it's my first Mesa amp and I don't have a frame of reference, how would I know if the tubes need to be replaced or not?
The owner already told me he replaced them some time, and I'm pretty sure he changed them for some other brands/models.

I know I'll be getting myself into a minefield here if I start asking about which tubes to use, as everyone has their favorite tubes/guitars/cabs/pickups/cars/women in mind.
I would just like the amp to sound as faithfully as possible to what the designers had in mind, before starting to screw things around. Need to know the amp first.

Should I wait for something bad to happen to one of the tubes and then change them all (my usage of the amp will not be critical, mainly using at home)?
Or should I invest right now in a handful of Mesa's SPAX7A (as they're mentioned by Mesa to be very clean and low noise), change them all in one go and be done with it for the next couple of years?

Again, I know a lot of people will advise other tube brands and variations, and they're probably right.
But for now, I'd rather have just Mesa tubes and find out what the Mark V is all about.

Only need some advice as to wether I should change them all now; or wait for one of them to crap out and then do it.

Thanks!

andretoscano said:
Hi everyone!

I will be purchasing a mint second-hand Mark V this coming weekend (I hope!).

As I don't know the owner or what kind of pounding the amp has taken so far, and since it's my first Mesa amp and I don't have a frame of reference, how would I know if the tubes need to be replaced or not?
The owner already told me he replaced them some time, and I'm pretty sure he changed them for some other brands/models.

I know I'll be getting myself into a minefield here if I start asking about which tubes to use, as everyone has their favorite tubes/guitars/cabs/pickups/cars/women in mind.
I would just like the amp to sound as faithfully as possible to what the designers had in mind, before starting to screw things around. Need to know the amp first.

Should I wait for something bad to happen to one of the tubes and then change them all (my usage of the amp will not be critical, mainly using at home)?
Or should I invest right now in a handful of Mesa's SPAX7A (as they're mentioned by Mesa to be very clean and low noise), change them all in one go and be done with it for the next couple of years?

Again, I know a lot of people will advise other tube brands and variations, and they're probably right.
But for now, I'd rather have just Mesa tubes and find out what the Mark V is all about.

Only need some advice as to wether I should change them all now; or wait for one of them to crap out and then do it.

Thanks!

Power tubes should be changed every 1.5 - 2 years of regular use, or whenever you buy a used amp (in our opinion). Preamp tubes only need to be changed when showing signs of failure - and its best to swap ONE new tube through each position, one position at a time to pinpoint the failing tube - and replace ONLY the failing tube. We of course recommend MESA tubes, as the power tubes are selected for the correct current draw needed for the requirements of the fixed bias setting. Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:
Power tubes should be changed every 1.5 - 2 years of regular use, or whenever you buy a used amp (in our opinion). Preamp tubes only need to be changed when showing signs of failure - and its best to swap ONE new tube through each position, one position at a time to pinpoint the failing tube - and replace ONLY the failing tube. We of course recommend MESA tubes, as the power tubes are selected for the correct current draw needed for the requirements of the fixed bias setting. Thanks!

Thanks! This is useful information.
Could you please advise if these are the right tubes for the Mark V power section?

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/6l6str440.html

I see on your webshop that these tubes are "Available as duets".
Does that mean the pricing displayed is for a matched pair of tubes? Or is the price displayed per tube?

And since I'm here... is there anywhere here in Europe where I can purchase these tubes?
If I order directly from Mesa, I'll pay premium shipping charges and Customs/taxes on arrival...

Thanks!

andretoscano said:
Authorized Boogie said:

Thanks! This is useful information.
Could you please advise if these are the right tubes for the Mark V power section?

http://mesa.stores.yahoo.net/6l6str440.html

I see on your webshop that these tubes are "Available as duets".
Does that mean the pricing displayed is for a matched pair of tubes? Or is the price displayed per tube?

And since I'm here... is there anywhere here in Europe where I can purchase these tubes?
If I order directly from Mesa, I'll pay premium shipping charges and Customs/taxes on arrival...

Thanks!

Yes, the amp needs 6L6GC STR440 power tubes. All of our power tubes are sold as duets. However, our online store is for US sales only. For Mesa tube and accessories, please contact the distributor in your country: http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/exp_select_2.php

Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:

Hi again.
I've bought the Mark V, it was in very good condition.
Already ordered two matched duets of MESA branded 6L6-STR440's. The previous owner was conscious enough to replace the 6L6's with the same MESA branded ones a year ago, but I will replace them with new ones anyway (just like I would wash a second hand pair of pants, if I'd ever bought one...).

The only pickle here is that the pre-amp valves are a bit of a mess!
It's GT tubes here, JJ's there, one MESA brand over there, etc. etc. etc.

I want to restore the amp to make it as close as possible to its original specification, so I've ordered 7 x MESA SPAX7-A and a MESA rectifier 5U4GB tube, just to be on the safe side.

But as I've read your previous reply, you've told me I should only replace the pre-amp tubes one at a time, and only when they fail.

So... will I run into problems if I replace all the pre-amp tubes with the MESA SPAX7-A's?

Should I change one at a time, every week a new one, and let in sink/burn in before replacing another?

Is there any correct way of doing this?

Thanks!

You can replace the preamp tubes with Mesa peamp tubes. I think when people were saying to just replace the bad preamp tubes, they were suggesting that there is no need to replace preamp tubes unless they are bad. If you want to replace the tubes with Mesa preamp tubes, it's fine to do so.

When I purchased my Mesa, I immediately ordered a set of new Mesa power tubes and preamp tubes. But, I don't believe you have to use Mesa preamp tubes, since they are plug and play.

Yeah...if you want to start with a "clean slate" so you know
exactly what, when, and why these tubes are in your amp
and if you can afford to do so, go for it! No need to roll
through 'em. I think that was suggested because that's
what eventually happens...hehe. Keep those old ones
because they will make good spares since they are working
already :D

Latest posts

Back