Any diehard MarkIV owners make the switch to the V:25?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockhound76s

Reaction score
Haven't been able to track down a V:25 in stock to try out, but am really tempted by all the favorable impressions and the portability. Anybody make the leap from a Mark IV and not regret it? How does it compare? I've had my IV for 10 years and haven't been tempted by another Mark until now.

If the V:25 can do a decent british crunch tone (AC/DC), I might just have to make the leap. I also have a RA100 which I use exclusively for crunch/classic rock tones, but if the V:25 can do it all I may go to a one-amp solution.

You won't be disappointed with this amp one bit. It can do anything you chuck at it with so much ease I can't explain.

As for AC/DC tones, yep. The crunch mode on channel 1 is brilliant for that classic rock 'marshall' sound. I've also found running the Mark IV setting at low gain can get a similar result.

Hope this helps!

rockhound76s said:
Haven't been able to track down a V:25 in stock to try out, but am really tempted by all the favorable impressions and the portability. Anybody make the leap from a Mark IV and not regret it? How does it compare? I've had my IV for 10 years and haven't been tempted by another Mark until now.

If the V:25 can do a decent british crunch tone (AC/DC), I might just have to make the leap. I also have a RA100 which I use exclusively for crunch/classic rock tones, but if the V:25 can do it all I may go to a one-amp solution.

The 25 does a killer crunch tone! And it is freaking LOUD!

I would keep searching and try one first and make sure though. The Mark IV is a killer amp. Owned one a few years back.

I can say that I could not get the crunch tones out of my Mark IV I get out of my 25. And from what the boogie rep said it is the same crunch channel on the 90 watt mark V as well.

But again, the mark IV is an iconic amp so I would make sure before going off and making the switch it is what you want.

Mark IIC+ mode with the guitar volume turned down a bit is a dead ringer for "Shook Me All Night".
The Mark V:25 has some serious mojo going on but I'd have a hard time choosing between it and the Mark IV. Good luck!

The main difference is the power amp. The EL84 cannot push the very low frequencies the way a 6L6 or even an EL34 can.

BUT if you are playing in a band you would want to cut those anyway to tighten your lows and make room for bass and vocals. So in a way, the EL84 output is sort of pre-set-up for great band mixes.

And there will be other characteristic tone differences. So if you are really married to the exact tone of a IV, you will want to keep the IV. If you just want great tone and flexibility with the approximate vice of a IV, you would probably love the 25.

Mine sounds HUGE, especially with big speaker cabs.

I considered it, but the smaller amp has only two footswitchable channels. The smaller amp has some nice features for recording, but I think it's less useful for live use than the Mark IV. I don't need a distortion or overdrive pedal with the Mark IV, but I needed one with my 2-channel TA-15, and ended up selling it as a result. The smaller Mark would have the same drawback. It's all about your priorities.

GmanJeff said:
I considered it, but the smaller amp has only two footswitchable channels. The smaller amp has some nice features for recording, but I think it's less useful for live use than the Mark IV. I don't need a distortion or overdrive pedal with the Mark IV, but I needed one with my 2-channel TA-15, and ended up selling it as a result. The smaller Mark would have the same drawback. It's all about your priorities.

One could also state that the V:25 is a better gigging amp because of the cab clone direct out and lower wattage.
When I gigged with my Mark IV my sound was always compromised by having to mic up and turn the volume too low.

Latest posts

Back