Mark V:25 Crunch Volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBoom

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my V:25 and this thing rocks! Crunch mode is worth the price of the amp alone.

I notice a big difference in the volume of the Clean/Fat and Crunch modes when I have the gain up high (over 1:00). Clean and Fat are much louder then Crunch when I dial it past 1:00. If I dial the gain back below 12:00 they start to even out and the volumes are pretty close when I get back to 9:00.

Has anyone one else experienced this? Any ideas why?

Thanks!

Yeah its just how the amp is it seams .. i've seen it on a few videos its not a problem with the amp its just how its designed and how it works. I think concept behind it is that quite a few people don't want a sparkling clean but they want two channels so for example a heavy rhythm to a lead and thats the where the crunch comes in ..

Where if you want a clean to heavy you go from channel 1 to 2

The amps not designed to go playing from channel 1 clean to channel 1 crunch .. if it was they would have made a switch for that there on the pedal ...

When I had my Electra Dyne it was the same way.

I "think" with the cleaner settings gain has a bigger effect on volume then on the higher gain settings where it has a bigger effect on drive. Which made the clean level on the Electra Dyne a MUST have if you were ever going to balance them out.

Thanks All!

I just wanted to make sure in case it was something specific to the one I had.

I love channel 2 as well for harder stuff, but when I'm doing classic and blues it would be great to have an amp that switches from Fat to Crunch. Maybe there's already something like that in the Boogie line up? I've just never heard Crunch this good in any amp.

This is still the coolest amp I've heard and I'm glad I got it. I can't believe how great so many combinations of the different settings sound, and straight from my LP, no effects at all. I'm sure I'll be finding new sounds for years.

CBoom said:
Thanks All!

I just wanted to make sure in case it was something specific to the one I had.

I love channel 2 as well for harder stuff, but when I'm doing classic and blues it would be great to have an amp that switches from Fat to Crunch. Maybe there's already something like that in the Boogie line up? I've just never heard Crunch this good in any amp.

This is still the coolest amp I've heard and I'm glad I got it. I can't believe how great so many combinations of the different settings sound, and straight from my LP, no effects at all. I'm sure I'll be finding new sounds for years.

The big brother MKV does exactly that between Ch1 and 2 - perfect

Mine is set for Clean / Crunch / MK2C+ in CH3

I have the opposite findings. I have my Gain set at 10 o`clock, Master between 9 and 10 o`clock. And Crunch Mode is way louder
than either Fat or Clean with the same settings. Oddness. So I use the Crunch on channel 1..... and to clean it up just roll volume back on my guitar. And switch to Channel 2 for a higher gain Lead voice.

Just got mine. Same issue. Crunch volume just jumps way up. Not a deal breaker but annoying. But the crunch channel is scrumptious.

OK

I have spent more time with this. I think this may be a design issue. The jump in volume from Fat/Clean to Crunch is over the top. T

his is why I think this. As an experiment to test the Cab Clone, I ran an XLR from my MKV25 to a Fishman Loudbox Artist. It has a 2 way wide range speaker system and a very linear preamp/power amp like a PA system. The preamp gain on the Fishman has a clipping indicator like a lot of PA systems. You turn the gain up till it just lights up on the loudest passages and then use the master volume for overall.

With the MKV25 channel 1 gain set to about 11oclock and the MV set to around 10oclock, you can run the Fishman preamp gain up around 11oclock with power chords on "Clean" and "Fat" and it just clips. On Mkv25 channel 2 with the gain at noon and MV around 9oclock, in any mode, you run the Fishman preamp gain the same - 11 oclock. But on the channel 1 "Crunch" setting with the crunch gain on 11 oclock and MV at 10 oclock, the Mkv25 clips the Fishman preamp at every setting on power chords. You have to back the MkV25 MV down till it's almost off to get it to not clip the Fishman preamp channel.

The crunch channel sounds great but it's just difficult to the volume right. I resorted to dropping the 5 band down in a straight line to cut down some DBs. Then you can use the foot switch to toggle the EQ in and out if you use the crunch channel.

Oh, the Cab Clone really works well.

Any thoughts?

The Crunch is sharing channel Clean V1 and cascades into crunch. Part of why the crunch has the magic, it was hard to accomplish, give or take, then add the new mid gain thingy. Randall Magic. Don't ask Why, just enjoy that magical that is then crunch channel.
KP

Keep in mind the Master control for channel 1 is a dual pot - clean/fat share one pot, Crunch is the other side of the stacked pot. The modes were not meant to be switched on the fly, without "re-setting" the volume. Thanks!

I always find it curious when people think its a "problem" or design "issue" when mode volumes are not all the same. Before the V25 was announced, I was going to buy a big V. Read the same type things about it. Pretty easy to design a 2 channel amp, match the volume pot/taper values to make them match up however you want. But Mesa packs multiple modes on each channel, with significantly different gain ranges available, and people have an issue with a volume jump going from Clean to Crunch, or IIC+ to Extreme, or whatever the jump is, when they are on the same channel. I think they already went "above" the norm in just putting a dual pot in, as AB explained. But expecting them to be perfectly matched in output when one has more gain and more gain stages is not really realistic. IMHO of course.

Dreamtheaterrules said:
I always find it curious when people think its a "problem" or design "issue" when mode volumes are not all the same. Before the V25 was announced, I was going to buy a big V. Read the same type things about it. Pretty easy to design a 2 channel amp, match the volume pot/taper values to make them match up however you want. But Mesa packs multiple modes on each channel, with significantly different gain ranges available, and people have an issue with a volume jump going from Clean to Crunch, or IIC+ to Extreme, or whatever the jump is, when they are on the same channel. I think they already went "above" the norm in just putting a dual pot in, as AB explained. But expecting them to be perfectly matched in output when one has more gain and more gain stages is not really realistic. IMHO of course.

Good point.

Spent some time on the crunch channel and my Strat. The crunch channel is very cool if you set the gain around 9:30 and play with the Strat's volume. You can go from an edgy clean to an old school low gain Brit crunch by turning up the guitar's volume. Think KISS' first two albums. I have an SSL5 in my bridge so this helps. This was with the master set low - which is still to low for home. If you set the master too low on crunch, the notes fizz out. When nobody is home, I'll open it up.

Played around on channel 1 experimenting with clean and fat. Great, great tones. The mid boost really helps get some juicy cleans with a strat.

The real volume issue with this amp is the lack of headroom on the clean channel. Getting a sparkly clean to match the volume of channel 2 turned up past 1/4 of a turn is impossible

Latest posts

Back