Mark V combo speaker help (V30 closed cab like tone)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger1016!

Reaction score
I am looking for recommendations on alternative speaker options for a Mark V combo that I recently got. I love how the thing sounds through my 2x12 horizontal rectifier cab with Mesa V30’s, and I am looking to try to get close to that out of the open back combo as well. The amp came with the stock C90, and I already knew I was going to be replacing this before I even got it (sounds too honky/boxy for me).

The obvious option would be to go with the Mesa V30 in this as well, but there are the inherent differences with frequency response and balance with open back vs. closed back cabs. From what I have found so far through a little research is some of the Eminence options might be potentially better option for this application but I am not sure which one might be a good fit or if there is something else that could potentially be even better. I would greatly prefer something that is an easy drop in without needing any modifications.

I am particularly looking for a focused and aggressive low-mid grind with good punch first and foremost. Also, I want a full and rich low end that is not muddy/boomy. Finally, I want a balanced upper-mid and high end that is not shrilly or too laid back. I play mostly 90’s to early 2000’s hard rock/alternative kind of stuff (Stone Temple Pilots, Foo Fighters, Chevelle, Muse, Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus, etc.), so I am mostly using medium to high gain tones but not into metal territory.

I don’t expect an open back cab to get me 100% to where I want to be, and I’ll be able to stay hooked up to my recto cab ~75% of the time (if I need to). I really only plan to use the combo cab by itself at relatively lower volumes around the house (no gigging or recording, but I do think that I crank is pretty loud for home use). So something that can be driven pretty well with a little speaker breakup, a decent bottom end, and good punch and definition at these kinds of volumes would be ideal.

Does anyone have any interesting recommendations for what might work well for this type of application? Thanks.

I have an open back 2x12 with Celestion K-100s, which I think sound great. They have a tight bottom and middle, and the highs are not shrilly.

John BNY said:
I have an open back 2x12 with Celestion K-100s, which I think sound great. They have a tight bottom and middle, and the highs are not shrilly.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try check out some clips soon. BTW have you perhaps had a chance to compare the K-100s to V30s in a closed back cab to be able to provide some comparison thoughts?

I'd also recommend the G12K-100. It is very tight with less high-mid/treble than a V30. It may be a little boomy in an open backed combo though.

http://celestion.com/product/19/g12k100/
i was just listening to the distortion clip on the website...and if it sounds good there i cant imagine how awesome these speakers will sound through the mkv:25.......and they are 100 bucks on amazon,,,may have to try these out...or put one in the mkV combo...i won't have my mini mark till next week :(

I have K-100s in an open back 2x12 and a closed back 4x12, and they sound great in both. The open back didn't sound very boomy. I've never done a comparison with the V30s.

I didn't like the C90 in my 1x12 combo....For the same reasons you mentioned. I put in an Eminence "The Governor", I immediately liked it better! Everything sounded better, lows, mids and highs. I then did my normal "speaker break-in" routine - where I run my iPod through my little PA into the speaker (at gig level) 10 hours a day for about 5-8 days (how ever long the family can stand it).

At the end of the break in process, I was blown away by how much better the speaker sounded and it continues to sound better with each gig. I think it's a great match for the Mesa Mark V (open back).

i dont know if still works for you the suggestion, but i blwed both C90 and V30, i must say in a very controlled volume environment, the V30 blowed in just 3 months, in sound difference is, once the C90 was "broke in" sounded really cool, i mean the cleans were awesome, and i used the mark I mode as my main sound distorted so that channel is dark, so the combination was a very bassy clear sound, as for the V30 sounded more rough i guess, not so good cleans to my ears, at least not as "fenderychimys ", so guess what i did, i replaced my speaker with a 200W EVM classic speaker, and daaamn that amp sounds so awesome, has like al the frecuency response in spot, great bass, great mids, great highs, i must say that the amp is a bit louder but its because this fenomenon i think, so yeah it growls if you want, its crispy when you want, and super clean when you want, i just think that this combos should be bringing this speakers from factory it really is a huge difference, downside the amp weights alot more now, but hell my guitar is listened in every venue and in a good way.

hope helps dude

Dre.

is easy to replace the speaker in the combo?
i have a V30 and or an EMV12L in home that i think it work better than the C90.

but I don't know if is too dificult to replace the speaker...

greetings

rusted7cl said:
is easy to replace the speaker in the combo?
i have a V30 and or an EMV12L in home that i think it work better than the C90.

but I don't know if is too dificult to replace the speaker...

greetings

You have to remove the back panel and the two screws that hold the reverb tank in place and slide it out (you don't have to disconnect it). Then you can remove the nuts that hold the speaker in place....Be careful when lifting the speaker out, if you get in to big of a hurry you could slam it into some tubes and break them, so take your time (or remove the tubes too). Last thing, be careful when putting the new speaker back in.... The screws stick up to mount the speaker to, if you set it down and you aren't lined up with the screws they will tear your speaker cone.

Probably took me all of 20 minutes to swap speakers in my combo.

Latest posts

Back