Mesa preamp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John BNY

Reaction score
It may be that my search skills are just bad, but I couldn't find a prior post on this. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I know this is highly subjective, but what are people's thoughts of the tones of the stock Mesa preamp tubes? Has anyone tried JJs, Sovteks or Mullards in the Mark V? I figure I'd get some general views of people who have had this amp for a while before I start rolling tubes. Thanks!

I believe the current crop of Mesa 12AX7's are JJ's, put through their test rig and branded Mesa

On 4 other Mesa's I have owned, I did a lot of tube rolling to tune them to what my ear wanted to hear. The MKV is the only amp where I put a balanced Tung Sol in V1 (to brighten up response), and have left the rest standard. IMO, it is the most sensitive amp I have owned, and for my needs, sounds best as standard through my current set-up

Replacing the stock Mesa (JJ's) made a significant improvement in my amp. Here's what I ended up with:

V1 Sylvania JAN12AX7 (NOS)
V2 Raytheon ECC83 (12AX7) (NOS)
V3 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH
V4 12AX7 - Mesa (JJ) (stock)
V5 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH
V6 12AX7 - Mesa (JJ) (stock)
V7 GE JAN 5751 (NOS)

tuna just curious here how does the 5751 sound as a phase inverter tube being the gain on that tube is reduced.....i had that same tube in V1 and sounded great...now i have a 1959 rca blackplate in V1 and is very smooth sounding in the clean channel and great distortion in chan.3 mk4 mode.. im on my 11th tube roll im my mkV...i also had a jan sylvania in V1 but i thought it was way to bright...

Latest posts

Back