MARK FIVE 25 TONE SETTINGS THREAD

Discussion for the new Mark V

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Doomeddawn
Bottle Rocket

MARK FIVE 25 TONE SETTINGS THREAD

Post by Doomeddawn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:55 am

Hi to all,

I`m new to the Forum and a fresh Mesa Boogie user. So far I have been in the Marshall and later Blackstar camp and decided to try something new. And since the other guitarist in our band is using JVM Marshall I had to find something a little different. I was aiming for tonal versatility in small package and boy does this thing deliver! I bought the Mark five 25 a month ago and been loving the thing since. This Forum has been very useful source of information to someone who has never played Mesa amp. So thank you very much to the members of this community for the wealth of information! :o There has been good amount of discussion about the new mini mark but there isn´t a dedicated tone settings thread for the V:25 yet. So I decided to start one, for that I need to post one of my settings first. I have a lot of sonic exploration ahead and it would be helpfull to share information.

At the moment my chain is: Les Paul (a 1985 Tokai LS80 with BKP Blackdog Bridge, Mule neck),tuner, couple of OD pedals, multiFX, Mesa V:25, mesa thiele 1x12. I decided to post a general purpose setting for a variaty of musical genres (Yes I play in party rock/pop/whatever cover band, shame on me... ). The settings below are aimed for nice fat clean tone which doesn´t break up easily when you spank the thing. The Od is for basic rock overdrive. Eq sliders are used as an independent solo boost for both channels. I use the clean channel also as a platform for OD pedals, I can get a pretty convincing Marshall plexi style crunch tone with Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret III, the clean mode is a little thin for this purpose. OD channel gain is set low enough so that I can clean it with my Guitar vol pot if necessary.

Fat clean/Rock Overdrive/Distortion + Solo boost
Clean CH, Fat mode, Gain 11:00, Treble 12:30, mid 11:00, bass 10:00, presence 12:30, master 8:00, reverb to taste, 25w
OD Channel, IIc+ mode, Gain 11:30, Treble 13:00, mid 12:30, bass 10:30, presence 13:00, master 8:30, reverb to taste, 25w

1st Slider Boost approx. 1/6 (just above line)
2nd Slider Boost approx. 1/5
3rd Slider Boost approx. 2/5
4th Slider Boost approx. 2/5
5th Slider Boost approx. 1/5

That is my 2 cents, looking forward for your settings. 8) Btw if you wonder the low master settings, we are are a 5 piece band (voc, 2 x gtr, bass and drums) practicing in a very small space, so we try to keep moderate volume levels.
The "quest for tone" begins when people realize it's easier to buy gear than practice.

elvis
Donating Member

Re: MARK FIVE 25 TONE SETTINGS THREAD

Post by elvis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:06 pm

I think this is a good thread to have. We have been throwing settings up scatter-shot.

I recommend photos, though. Easier than typing...

My settings are variations on clean with a little punch and general-purpose rock overdrive. I play a lot of styles and use an OD808 and a BBPre to get more variety. I use FAT and IIC+, though I switch to IV mode as well with the same settings.

Petrucci has pics of his settings on his web page. He also has a couple vids up on how he sets his tone that I highly recommend. Granted, they are for the 90W V, but HOW he does it is useful for the 25 as well.

Mini Rectifier blue LED
Recto 2x12 Vertical
Recto 2x12 Wedge

ryjan
Dual Recto

Post by ryjan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:47 pm

Here are the settings I used in my demo. I haven't needed to tweak this amp at all compared to how I did when I had a Mark IV. The IV seemed to change every time I played it but my Mini has been very consistent.
(Hard to see the switches. Channel 1 on clean, channel 2 on C+, both at 25watts and EQ on channel 2 only.)

Mark V:25
Recto 2x12
ESP Explorer

pinhedgtr
Mark II

Post by pinhedgtr » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi,
So I just wanted to try and get this thread going a little more. I've only had the amp since yesterday, but I am loving this thing! I play mostly metal.
Here are my current settings for Fat mode on Channel 1 and Mark IV mode for channel 2.
I've noticed this amp is a bit more noisy than my Roadster was so keeping the gain and high down below noon is helping with that a little. I also have been using my Boss NS2 hooked up in the X pattern so it works for the loop as well as the amp input. This makes it silent while I'm not playing but I can still barely hear the buzzing while I'm playing. Any ideas on that?
Anyway Here you go.

Last edited by pinhedgtr on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2X12 Recto Cab
Mesa Roadster 2X12 Combo-SOLD
Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst
1988 Ibanez JEM
Shecter C1 Diamond Series Duncan JB in the bridge

Manus Music

pinhedgtr
Mark II

Post by pinhedgtr » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:30 pm

Here's a pretty sweet one for the xtreme mode with my Les Paul. Nice and chewy :D Works really good at low volume. Man I am diggin this amp!
Last edited by pinhedgtr on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2X12 Recto Cab
1988 Ibanez JEM

Manus Music

elvis
Donating Member

Post by elvis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 pm

I was happy with my tone at home, but struggled at rehearsal. Too muddy and saturated. I had been scooping way too much and was running too much gain. Pull up 750Hz a bit, drop the gain a lot, and it worked great with my band.

I had been running IIC mode with gain about 11:00. With gain at 9:00 IIC+ mode was a bit too clean and had too little low end. I switched to IV mode and it got more complex in the mids and added low end. Sounds great!

Helpful hints: a lot of what people hear in a band setting is mids. Adding 750 gets nasal very easily. Bumping up 2200 helps add that presence but without so much honk. Cuts through but lets you keep the low-end tight and the volume down.

The presence control, in addition to shifting the tone focus, adds transient response. Upping presence tightens the lows and adds percussive attack that helps cut through. Gives a satisfying "thwack" when you hit the strings. Mucho punch.

Last edited by elvis on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mini Rectifier blue LED
Recto 2x12 Vertical
Recto 2x12 Wedge

dbagchee
Mark II

Post by dbagchee » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:13 pm

Here's a nice beefy bedroom tone on the channel 1 crunch. Adjust bass eq bands to your liking.

Mark Five: 25
Recto-Verb Twenty-Five 1x12 Combo
Stiletto Deuce (Stage I)

Check out my band Asyst!

Doomeddawn
Bottle Rocket

Re: MARK FIVE 25 TONE SETTINGS THREAD_Petrucci demo Crunch

Post by Doomeddawn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:54 am

Hi again,

Thank you all for sharing your settings. I have been lazy in sharing settings and also had difficulty in uploading images. So here are a couple of settings that Petrucci used in one of my favorite demo videos of the v25. Channel 1, crunch mode. These settings are made by looking at the youtube video and setting my own amp the same way. These are just approximations of what I think I saw in the video... :?: :lol: So sorry if they are not exact, but I think they will put you in the same ballpark. Ignore the settings on the second channel.

First Crunch setting @ 3.24: http://youtu.be/gjkfArHfV6Q?t=3m24s

Second Crunch setting @ 4.09: http://youtu.be/gjkfArHfV6Q?t=4m9s
The "quest for tone" begins when people realize it's easier to buy gear than practice.

ryjan
Dual Recto

Post by ryjan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:19 am

dbagchee wrote:Here's a nice beefy bedroom tone...
That's dirty talk for us tone snobs. :lol: :lol:
Recto 2x12
ESP Explorer

dbagchee
Mark II

Post by dbagchee » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:58 am

Do you see where my master is set? ha ha!
Stiletto Deuce (Stage I)

Check out my band Asyst!

pinhedgtr
Mark II

Post by pinhedgtr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:22 pm

I'm removing this post so that this thread can stay on topic.
Thanks
Last edited by pinhedgtr on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2X12 Recto Cab
1988 Ibanez JEM

Manus Music

elvis
Donating Member

Post by elvis » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Is the amp really loud when you hear the noise, such that playing guitar totally masks it, or is the noise loud relative to the Guitar?

If the former, it's probably normal. If the latter, may be a noisy tube. I don't get unexpectedly high noise with gain and treble at 1:00.

Are you using an od or boost in front? I do get noticeable noise when I use gain pedals and lots of amp gain together.
Mini Rectifier blue LED
Recto 2x12 Vertical
Recto 2x12 Wedge

pinhedgtr
Mark II

Post by pinhedgtr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks Elvis!

I definitely notice the noise more when playing at lower bedroom volumes. At those levels(maybe like a loud TV), if I let a chord ring out, I can start to hear the background noise. At higher volumes, the guitar seems to cover up the noise better. I find it interesting that I can run the gain higher in the xtreme mode with less noise.

As for the OD in front, I haven't been using it. Seems like the amp doesn't really like my Maxon OD808, kinda ruins the sound. (Worked great for my Roadster though)

I have some other mesa 12ax7's i could try out, do you have any idea which tube affects the Mark IV mode?

Thanks again for the assist.
2X12 Recto Cab
1988 Ibanez JEM

Manus Music

dbagchee
Mark II

Post by dbagchee » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:43 pm

I'm not having any noticeable noise issues with those settings. In that case I had it dialed it for more of a lead tone (I was looping a rhythm part on the crunch channel and then using channel two for lead). Normally with the band and at volume I wouldn't have the gain that high on the Mark IV setting.
Stiletto Deuce (Stage I)

Check out my band Asyst!

pinhedgtr
Mark II

Post by pinhedgtr » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:18 pm

OK thanks man, guess i need to try some spare tubes out in V1 and V2 and see if that makes a difference.
Last edited by pinhedgtr on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2X12 Recto Cab
1988 Ibanez JEM

Manus Music