Mark V with CabClone Live

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satch4u3

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with using a Mark V into a CabClone, direct to FOH with no cabinet on stage?

I play guitar and sing in a 3-peice cover band where everything(Electric Kit and Bass as well) is direct to FOH. Currently I am using an AxeFX 2 direct and monitoring the hole mix through In-Ears. Thinking about picking up a Mark V head and CabClone but I have heard some mixed opinions on the CabCLone. Whats your guys take on it?

I think it will be hard to beat the flexibility of the AxeFX with your setup. The CabClone sounds decent, but it sounds best when there is a speaker load attached, and it only has limited tweaking available. I think the CabClone sweet spot is when you want to send a good feed to FOH but still have a satisfying monitoring experience through your cabs on stage.

^^Agreed ^^
My only caveat is that the Cabclone needs different master settings to balance the channels that if you are using a speaker cab alone.

Thanks for the responses. I have since been looking into the Two Notes Torpedo Live. Looks very interesting.

I've just added CabClone to my Mark V head setup for live usage. Currently, I'm in a rock cover band of sorts. I use a 2x12 horizontal recto cab with my MKV head. Prior to CabClone, I would have used an SM57 or whatever mic was available just to pump a little bit of my amp into the mixer for FOH (I play small venues, so bulk of my sound comes directly from my cab, but I feed a little bit into FOH for more uniform guitar sound distribution). In any case, the CabClone definitely more than does the job for me, in these situations. No more mics for my guitar sound, and the CabClone is just as good as an SM57 would be.

I also use CabClone at home without a speaker Cab for dummy load and quiet recording/practicing. However, I recorded some samples and compared the CabClone DI out with Slave Out + RedWirez Mesa IRs, and the latter blow the CabClone completely away. However, CabClone still does a great job acting as a dummy load (so I can take the Slave Out into my recording gear), or for just plugging into headphones and practicing.

In summary, CabClone great for providing dummy load, great for practicing, great for simple live gigs (along with a real cab). For recording, use good quality IRs.

satch4u3 said:
Does anyone have any experience with using a Mark V into a CabClone, direct to FOH with no cabinet on stage?

I play guitar and sing in a 3-peice cover band where everything(Electric Kit and Bass as well) is direct to FOH. Currently I am using an AxeFX 2 direct and monitoring the hole mix through In-Ears. Thinking about picking up a Mark V head and CabClone but I have heard some mixed opinions on the CabCLone. Whats your guys take on it?
Not the full size Mark V, but I've had great results running my Mark Five:25 directly into the PA system with the built-in cab clone output. We use the Bose L1 PA system so it's not exactly the same as a traditional front of house setup, but the results are nothing less than stellar. It honestly sounds like I have my amp in an isolation room cranked up and Mic'd.

Latest posts

Back