Mark V 25 Noise.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonofabrit123

Reaction score
Hello friends!

So I've had my Mark V 25 for about 2 weeks now and I'm noticing that it makes quite a bit of noise when I'm not playing. It sounds almost like a ground hum but I don't think It's the power (I've used a few different outlets and I've plugged into a furman power conditioner at church this morning). I also don't think it's my guitar or cables. Could this be a problem with my tubes or is it just naturally noisy like that? Are there any other Mark V 25 users experiencing the same thing?

Thanks!

Yes, I get noise from the fan and I do get some extra noise from the amp as well. I have not rung it out for ground loops with the rest of my gear, and expect it could be that. It could be from the many gain stages as well.

For me it's not enough to make the amp unusable, just noticeable.

I'm running my gain pretty low on channel 2 (It's less than halfway) and it's really noisy. The clean channel is kinda noisy too. I may call Mesa. I doubt it's normal.

I already have a handful of SPAX7's ready to go for when mine shows up.
Wonky preamp tubes are to be expected from time to time. Nothing to fret over. :D

Update: When I plug into my Mesa 4x12 cab the hum almost disappears. However, when I use my Orange 1x12 it buzzes pretty loudly. Could this be because the Orange is a 16 ohm cab and the Mesa is a matching 8 Ohm cab?

One other thing I've also noticed is that the buzzing is much louder when the lights in my kitchen and dining room are on. I think that could be ground loop related but it doesn't explain why it makes that noise when I play at church through clean power.

Any ideas? :?:

Mine is definitely not that noisy.

What happens if you turn the volume all the way down on your guitar? Sounds to me like you're getting noise in the pickups. Different cabs won't cause noise because of impedance mismatch, but maybe they are in a different location, closer to the noise source.

I get a lot of noise where we rehearse because they have pretty colored stage lights that are all fluorescent. Even with humbuckers I get a lot of noise from them. They are miserable. I miss incandescents.

It's still humming with my guitar volume down. I'm thinking it might be a preamp tube now because I notice when I play a C# or an A I can also hear a little rattling.

Thanks everyone for your replies btw, I appreciate it.

Did you try not plugging in anything into the input jack and cranking it up? If you have extreme hiss with nothing plugged in, start changing tubes in V1 on down the line, if that doesn't work, you need to have your amp looked at.

Have you connect the amp to a grounded mains outlet?
Try to turn mains plug in the mains outlet. This sounds like the phase is on the wrong side, so the phase comes on the neutral side in the amp.

2B

Ebtech walwarts do wonders for 60 cycle hum

I haven't noticed any with my V25, but I always plug mine into the ebtech as well.

In fact I plug any amp I happen to be using into it out of habit. Years back it cured a wicked 60 cycle hum I was getting when using an Axe FX Ultra with an Electra Dyne

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX?adpos=1o2&creative=54989263441&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiA_4emBRCxi8_f2cWWjFcSJAB-v1qyqrzTm7b-2vg2ey8UJzKEMScHEGSEGaV3KIWH3Aix8xoC1xfw_wcB

I have two walwarts within 2 feet of my MkV25. Most of the hum comes from these. The fan makes a bit of sound. My laptop adds a bit. Fact - tube amps make noise. My Fender Mustang IIIv2 is silent . . .

I have two Mini's one #24 came quiet #127 was noisy. Preamp tube that controls effect loop and reverb, although registered fine it was the noisy one. It took until the 3rd tube in that slot to solve the problem. I rolled every slot until I knew I had a good tube. Most of the noise was coming from V3 on..I ending up putting tungsol re-iusses in V3-V5 before it was whisper quiet. Other than gain :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Hello Sonofabrit123!

This thing with hum in a tube amp could be several things that is wrong.

Is the hum sounding all the time when you playing over the strings?
or is the hum coming after the last stroke of the strings?

This with that the hum is louder when the lights is on is a common problem with tube amps.
The lights, is it flouresent lights? If it is, it's because these kind of lights have a magnetic field around them and they also send out UV-light.

The house you live in could also have a bad ground connection somewhere.
Is the mains outlets the ground type?

This thing with connecting a 16 ohm cabinet to a tube amp with 8 ohm output is also a bad thing, because the output of the amp is matched for 8 ohm. The impedance in the amp will be wrong and the primary winding in the output transformer becomes overheated.

Hope that this will help you a little bit.

2B

Latest posts

Back