My Mini Mark V 25 Review.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan28

Reaction score
Hello guys, I recently traded my Electra Dyne for a Mini Mark V 25, here are my first impressions:

I started my Boogie life in 2003-04 with a Mesa Boogie Recto-verb 50w, sold that and purchased a Triple Rec, sold that and purchased a RoadKing II, The RKII has been my go to amp and other than my reverb tank being replaced has been incredible. In 2012 I wanted a small amp head to run through my Boogie 4x12 for practice and shows(Carrying the Roadking around can take its toll on you)I went a little cheaper and purchased the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18. I used that amp for practicing with the band and for every show I played in 2013, for the price that little amp is extremely hard to beat, but definitely not the quality of any of the Boogies I have owned. In late 2013 I still didn't want to carry my Roadking around everywhere and I wanted a better sound live than what I was getting with the Hughes, that led me to purchase the Electra Dyne. The Electra Dyne was an awesome sounding amp, it is a VERY LOUD amp but to me the sound was a little too much hot rodded marshall and not the sound I wanted. A year later in comes the Mini Mark V. I have only used it once last night for about 2-3 hours and I don't have it dialed in yet but here my impressions.

Channel 1 clean and fat clean: Very, very nice sounding, ton of headroom even in 10 watt setting. Very versatile and the tube reverb just sings on this channel. I love it.
Channel 1 Crunch: This is one of the gems in this amp, crank the gain and the mid boost and wow, the sound kinda reminds me of the rec a little bit.
I had zero issues dialing in a good sound on channel one.

Channel 2 mark IIc - Very focused, tons of gain, very tight, but I was having trouble dialing in the low end, ive gotta spend some more time tweaking it. Using the EQ definitely takes this channel to another level.
Channel 2 Mark IV - This channel was my favorite, once again tons of gain, a little more low end and fullness than the IIc. I still had a hard time dialing in the low end.
Channel 2 Xtreme - It definitely is Xtreme, almost seemed like too much.

I used my PRS Custom 24 and I boosted with my OCD and I tried my Xotic Ep Booster.
When I boosted on channel 2, no matter which pedal I used the amp seemed not to like the boost pedals. The OCD made it harsh and fuzzy and the EP booster made it flubby. My Rec really likes the OCD!!!! The Rec does not like the EP booster.

Comparing the Mini Mark V to the Roadking: I never have played through a Mark and I definitely have to work on dialing it in(it took me a long time to master dialing in a rec) it seems that the Mini Mark definitely has no where near the low end of the Rec, but more gain, it is more mid range focused, the rec is a bigger sound. I also can get my rec much tighter than the Mark, this has to be my settings.

Hughes compared to the Mini Mark. The Hughes definitely holds its own when it comes to high gain territory. It doesn't quite sound as hifi. The clean channel is no comparison!! Mark V all the way. But a $600.00 Chinese made amp verse a $1300.00 Mesa, I must say I was a little disappointed the Mark didn't completely destroy it. But the Mark is definitely a much better sounding amp, especially with lower gain settings. And obviously much more versatile. The Hughes is easier to dial in because of less options.

I haven't used the cab clone yet, I have used the red box direct out on my Hughes and it sucks to be honest. Completely Worthless!! I am hoping the cab clone will be better.

I need to work on dialing in the High gain channels, I couldn't in the two hours I played get a high gain sound that I would record with. I know that it is my settings and it is going to take some time.

Some MISC things I noticed, the Mark will make you a better player, it is not as forgiving as the Rec or my Hughes. But the gain seems to have a liquid feeling to it, which feels great to play. Volume will not be a issue in a band situation as it is very loud, I never had an issue with the Hughes either. The Mini Mark is built like a tank and definitely full of quality. It was weird that the Mark did not like either of my Overdrive pedals.

I will update my review when I spend some good quality time with it. I need to learn how to dial in channel 2, especially tighten the low end.

Reading reviews and seeing some with volume issues between the channels, I haven't noticed any issue with volume between channels, channel 1 is a bit louder, but nothing drastic.

Nice review! Very helpful to see your experience.

I have also been struggling with the low-end on the MV25. It has lots, and the GEQ gives you plenty, but I think that the EL84s are running out of gas a bit. I will have to run the MV25 through my Electradyne output stage at some point to see what happens.

As for boost, I have been running overdrives with just a little volume boost plus a little saturation and they have worked very well for me. I haven't tried running a super-hot input signal as it is not practical for my usage.

Good luck, write more when you can.

Nice review Nathan....and Elvis you just gave me the idea to connect the Mini Mark to the Stiletto power amp...gonna give that a whirl tonight :shock:

Hey guys, I spent yesterday evening dialing in my Mini Mark and I recorded a clip for you guys to hear it.

I'm still tweaking but im starting to fall in love with this High gain Monster. I figured out how to tighten the low end that was bothering me.
Anyways less talk and more music, here you go.

http://picosong.com/fURZ

All tracked with my PRS Custom 24 plugged direct in. On the left side it is the Mini Mark in the xtreme setting, on the right side it is the Mark IV setting and in the middle it is the xtreme setting again. I triple tracked it, I tracked the bass, then tracked the drums and did a one take solo at the beginning. Enjoy!
If you guys are interested with settings and what I used to record just let me know!!

What an incredible Amp!! Boogie hit a home run!

Thanks!No I didn't use the cab clone, I miced my Recto 4x12 with one sm-57. I haven't tried the cab clone yet, I'll record it and post it as well.

PRS Custom 24 --->mini mark---->recto 4x12------>Shure sm-57 on axis a Half inch from the grill where the dust cap meets the cone----->Neve Portico 5017 Mic Pre------>RME UFX------>Sonar X3.

I triple tracked most of the Rhythms.

The Mark Xtreme mode is on the left and I double tracked with the same settings in the middle.

The Mark IV mode on the right with some same settings as the Xtreme with some added mid.

Lead and solo was the Xtreme mode with the same settings as the rhythm but I plugged my delay pedal in for both.

For Elvis ----> what is helping me to dial in the low end which I'm still messing with is Im keeping the gain below noon and the Bass about nine but boost the low with the eq. It doesn't take much to turn flubby and I'm having a rough time finding the sweet spot.

Great tone Nathan! Could you give settings example for the mark iv lead and extreme mode?

I presume you run at 10 watts?

Good job!

Really like it. remind me a lot of live tones from Zakk and from John Norum (actually sometimes the riff remind me a lot "love is not the enemy").

8) 8)

Hey, Nathan!!
Great review, man! Great tone too!!
\m/

I ordered my V25... Just waiting! 8)

So, did you use the CabClone yet?
I used to have a Tubemeister18 and the Power Soak really sucks. Didn't like it either. :x
Sold it some moths ago to buy a 2 Channel Marshall Clone (JCM800 and Plexi - The most common combination of Marshall clone :mrgreen: )

And now, I want some different kind of sound.
Hope I really love it... :wink:

Great review!
I was messing around with crunch mode a bit too and boy does it sound very Recto to me also. With the gain and mid-boost controls you can shape it ay way you want kind of like an older Mark with gain and lead drive.

Crunch mode is fat, my buddy couldn't believe it was channel one, but I still use ch 2 for high gain. I still have not used the cab clone yet, I will soon, I'm completely loving this amp through my boogie 4x12. I'm going to run the mini mark pre amp through my roadking power section today, I am very curious on how this is going to sound. You guys probably think I'm crazy for having not tried the cab clone, but i am completely in love with the amp through my 4x12, and where I record everyday there is nothing that sounds better than a miced up cab that is pushing some air.

Does anyone know if the crunch mode of the Mark V:25 on channel I is similar to the crunch mode of the Mark V on channel II ?
I suppose it is, considering those 2 vids, especially listening to what Randall Smith says at approximatively 4:50 of the first vid (sorry english is not my mother tongue, so I may misinterpret what he says):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkfArHfV6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOIx7HbhxQ

To my ears if you dial in the gain to about 10:00 and the mid/boost to about 2:00 you get a pretty good representation of channel 3 Vintage mode on a Roadster. Bassy, wide, a little scoopy, and the "wall 'o sound".

loylo69 said:
Does anyone know if the crunch mode of the Mark V:25 on channel I is similar to the crunch mode of the Mark V on channel II ?
I suppose it is, considering those 2 vids, especially listening to what Randall Smith says at approximatively 4:50 of the first vid (sorry english is not my mother tongue, so I may misinterpret what he says):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkfArHfV6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kOIx7HbhxQ

The Crunch mode in the Mark Five:25 was pulled directly from Ch2 of the Mark Five. Thanks!

Hello guys! I ran my mark V 25 through my Roadking II power section today, it worked perfect! The sound is kinda of what you expect, it sounds like I mixed a mark with a rec, it makes the mark sound bigger a little less tight. Similar but yet so different, it's going to be awesome to record it and mix it in with just the mark. Thanks Elvis for the help

Latest posts

Back