Non-Mesa tubes - How safe?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I bought my 2012 Mark V used, so I don't actually know how much it was used?? To be safe, I bought some new tubes a few weeks ago - some JJ 6L6gc tubes and put them in my amp..... They smoothed out the top end, brought out the mids and lowered the bass just a little and tightened up everything. Over all, I liked what I heard much better than the Mesa tubes. Then I started hearing about how the Mark V is biased much hotter than other amps and requires lower output power tubes to compensate for this. I also read several horror stories about resistors blowing and stuff getting fried inside of Mark V's due to "too hot" of power tubes.

So last night I put the Mesa tubes back in so I didn't cause any damage to my amp, but I really miss the JJ's. I'm not worried about the warranty since the guy I got it from never gave me any paperwork (and I have no way of contacting him) and I've already changed speakers in it. So I'm just curious if Those JJ's are going to be safe to use, or should I just stick to Mesa tubes (even though I like the JJ's better)?

If you buy non-Mesa tubes from a knowledgeable dealer (Eurotubes, Doug's, et. al.), you should have no problems. Eurotubes sells mostly (only?) JJ's, so that should be a safe bet.

The key is to buy tubes from someone who knows how to test, rate, and match tubes so they'll be right for your amp.

dodger916 said:
If you buy non-Mesa tubes from a knowledgeable dealer

Yeah, there lies the problem..... I got them from a Fender repair man that said he had a whole stack of these because he liked them in his Twins.

Oh well, maybe I can find somebody to trade me?

If you like the sound of the tubes, you can test them in the amp with a bias meter and see if they're safe, or have a tech check it out (not the tech you got the tubes from :lol: ). They very well might be fine.

tele_jas said:
dodger916 said:
If you buy non-Mesa tubes from a knowledgeable dealer

Yeah, there lies the problem..... I got them from a Fender repair man that said he had a whole stack of these because he liked them in his Twins.

Oh well, maybe I can find somebody to trade me?

I'd call Eurotubes and ask them if they know the specs for a Mark V. They know how to supply the right ones. You could also go Groove Tubes, Distortion Rating 4-6.

Back