Amp Affected by Temperature?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treillw

Reaction score
Here in PA temps vary between 0 and probably 130 in the car with the windows rolled up in the summer. Can these extreme temperatures damage the head and cab? I know it's probably not the best thing in the world to do and I don't like to leave it in there at all, but I'm just curious if it actually does anything. What is the temperature range that you wouldn't go outside of?

Thanks

I know hot temperatures are bad for the capacitors. And in extreme cold, when you bring it in, you shouldn't turn it on at once until the tubes are warmed up back to room temperature.

Shouldn't be a problem. When you turn the amp on it rapidly heats the tubes and runs pretty hot, though cars can get awfully hot. You can mitigate this by cracking a window or sunroof, and covering the amp with a blanket or putting it in the trunk helps reduce the temp quite a bit. Add sunshades to the windows as well. I deal with heat in sunny CA and have to leave my equipment in the car all day. I worry way more about my guitars.

I think worse would be having the cold amp sit in a warm, humid room and get all wet inside from condensation. I'd probably fire up a cold amp ASAP.

elvis said:
I think worse would be having the cold amp sit in a warm, humid room and get all wet inside from condensation. I'd probably fire up a cold amp ASAP.

I live in Missouri, we go from -10 in the winter to 102 in the summer. Usually anything over 80-85 degrees, the amps dont stay in my car too long.

As for cold weather and condensation, that condensation builds up almost instantly when you take it into a warm room..... I'd be afraid to turn on my amp for a few hours. Going from 35 degeres to 125+ (tube heat) in a matter of minutes is probably pretty hard on the amp and especially the tubes. I have been known to take a hair drier to the inside of my amp to heat it up. Ideally what you need is a gradual warm up......This will stop the condensation build up. Now-a-days, what I do it start my car and turn on the heater and let it warm up in my car for 30 - 60 minutes. It's worth the $5 in gas you'll spend to avoid any amp issues IMO.

Back