Reverb Circuitry Placement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggs

Reaction score
Hey all!

new to the board, looking into getting a Mark V soon.

I've sent an email to Mesa tech support but never heard back.

Question: is the reverb circuit pre or post the effects loop?

Thanks in advance!

I recommend you call, they are way more responsive that way, and always helpful.

I don't know about the Mark V in particular, but Mark amps (like Mark IV and Studio Pre) have the reverb before the FX loop, while the Electradyne has it in parallel with the FX loop. I would guess the V would be pre-loop, but I really don't know.

A. Boogie has answered (Thanks!), but I'll insert my $.02 anyway.

From my experience with Mark III's, if you want to self-test, try putting a boost-type pedal in the loop, a compressor would be even better. Even a TS9, Blues Driver, some kind of pedal to add a bit of gain and/or compression.

Turn the reverb up to a background level, say about 2-4.
Now engage the pedal.

If the reverb is now way too much, overwhelming and obnoxious, then the reverb circuit is BEFORE the loop.

(The reverb signal is being compressed and amplified by the loop pedal enough to sound just as loud as the dry guitar signal, regardless of the actual reverb setting.)

MrMarkIII said:
A. Boogie has answered (Thanks!), but I'll insert my $.02 anyway.

From my experience with Mark III's, if you want to self-test, try putting a boost-type pedal in the loop, a compressor would be even better. Even a TS9, Blues Driver, some kind of pedal to add a bit of gain and/or compression.

Turn the reverb up to a background level, say about 2-4.
Now engage the pedal.

If the reverb is now way too much, overwhelming and obnoxious, then the reverb circuit is BEFORE the loop.

(The reverb signal is being compressed and amplified by the loop pedal enough to sound just as loud as the dry guitar signal, regardless of the actual reverb setting.)

Great bit of info, thanks.

Back