New Member and a new Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been a lurker on the forum for quite some time, and just became the proud owner of a Mark V a few days ago.

So far I'm really liking the amp, but it seems to be noisier than it should be, particularly in channel 1. I expect some noise with higher gain settings on channels 2 & 3, but I shouldn't be getting this type of noise on the clean channel. The noise occurs steadily in the background, and only stops when the amp is in standby. I'm thinking that it is a tube issue, most likely in V1 or V3 based on threads that I've read on here.

The amp is brand new from Sweetwater, so the tubes are all the stock Mesa's. From reading through posts on this forum, the Tung-Sol 12ax7's are pretty popular, and I was looking into purchasing the preamp tone kit from Doug's Tubes that contains the following set:

V1 - Tung-Sol 12AX7
V2 - High Gain JJ ECC83
V3 - Ruby 7025SS High Grade
V4 - Penta 12AX7
V5 - Penta 12AX7
V6 - Penta 12AX7
V7 - Sovtek 12AX7 LPS

I figured that set gives me a Tung-Sol for the V1 spot and a good selection of others to experiment a bit to find an ideal tone.

Another question I have is that there is a high gain option you can pay extra for when ordering. I wouldn't mind having more gain on tap in Channel 3, but I do still need the clean channel to stay clean. Does anyone have experience ordering the high gain set that could comment on Channel 1 performance?

Thanks!

Just a bit of information. My Mark V is dead quiet on CH1. Even when I have a guitar plugged in it’s very very quiet. CH2 and CH3 are pretty **** quiet also. So you might want to get it looked at.

I know nothing about higher gain additions. Never thought I needed more gain in CH3 I don't even max it out now, same with CH2.

Put some different power tubes in if you have them before doing the pre's.
Just to be sure.

My amp is also very quiet and my band coves Priest, AIC, STP, Scorps.

I am running all Tungsol Preamp tubes with Winged C 6L6's

https://www.tubedepot.com/

Just a follow up. I checked my amp for noise and I was surprised at the amount of noise I was getting. I unplugged the cable going into input of the amp and the noise stopped. I plugged the guitar directly into the amp removing the Crybaby and it is now completely quiet. I left the effects loop connected. I'm thinking it is the Crybaby power input. I had quit using a battery in the crybaby a few night ago because I was being lazy and didn't want to use another battery. Maybe a ground problem? I'll probably start using a battery again in the crybaby. Odd thing is all the effects 2 Carbon copys and a Chorus are on the same power supply. So I'm going to tinker a bit to find the issue.

Bottom line, the amp is dead quiet on channel 1 there is a ever so slight hiss on ch2 and ch3. The hiss is so slight that I would never hear it under normal use but I did this check in my home studio and it is silent in there.

Ok, so I swapped a the V1 12ax7 with V4 and the noise went away. So apparently the tube that came in V1 was too noisy for that spot.

Maybe a bad tube. I purchased my Mk V from Sweetwater as well, and even the fan is louder than channel one. Not too much hiss on channels 2/3 either, until I kick in a boost or comp.

If you have had the amp less than 6 months they will send you a replacement tube.

Latest posts

Back