Hard Bypass

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester

Reaction score
This is a feature I have been using a lot on all my Mesa's - both for what it does to purity of response, but more importantly, to better understand the core sound of different modes

The MKV is the most sensitive and responsive amp I have owned - both wonderful and frustrating at the same time. Where I couldn't get what I wanted with loop engaged, going hard bypass gave me more direct access to a modes' DNA, and how EQ interacted. I could then re-EQ and get close to the sound in my head with loop re-engaged, but found I had lost something in translation

Long story short, all 3 Mesa's are now used in bypass mode, and I couldn't be happier with my studio sound. I use different guitars regularly, and find it easier to match pups to what I need through minor EQ adjustment in bypass - somehow just easier to reference than with loop engaged. It's totally addictive

Any one else do something similar?

Same for me...Impossible to come back to the loop engaged, sounds like if some dynamics and harmonics disappear.
So...guitar straight to the amp and no effects!

I have not noticed much of a difference harmonically between hard bypass to effects loop active. Try adjusting the effects loop send level. If you set it to its maximum position, that will be at the same output level as it would be in hard bypass. V6 would be some what of an adjustable overdrive to the phase inverter. I do like the punch in CH2 and CH3 in hard bypass but there may be something to gain which a higher send level setting since V6 will be an additional gain stage. Just a thought. Most of the time I use the effects loop and no effects. I like having a master volume control.

bandit2013 said:
I have not noticed much of a difference harmonically between hard bypass to effects loop active. Try adjusting the effects loop send level. If you set it to its maximum position, that will be at the same output level as it would be in hard bypass. V6 would be some what of an adjustable overdrive to the phase inverter. I do like the punch in CH2 and CH3 in hard bypass but there may be something to gain which a higher send level setting since V6 will be an additional gain stage. Just a thought. Most of the time I use the effects loop and no effects. I like having a master volume control.

It's not about volume to my ears - it's about the difference in response. Or as Mesa puts it, taking out associated loop circuitry ensures the "purest signal path" .. adds something I really like in each of my amps, which I found surprising, but it works well for me

I concur. The difference is very significant in terms of the aformentioned feel as well as tone. I usually play dry as consequence. And thats no bad thing at all with the voice and response that hard bypass gives you.

Boognoob said:
I concur. The difference is very significant in terms of the aformentioned feel as well as tone. I usually play dry as consequence. And thats no bad thing at all with the voice and response that hard bypass gives you.
hendrik84 said:
To my ears there's a certain high end shimmer that gets lost.

AMEN

All I know is that it only took me twice to figure out that I shouldn't reach over the top of the head to toggle the pentode/triode switch, not being sure that I was actually flipping the p/t switch....

You'll know it immediately when you screw up. I probably should have learned the first time.

Archlute75 said:
All I know is that it only took me twice to figure out that I shouldn't reach over the top of the head to toggle the pentode/triode switch, not being sure that I was actually flipping the p/t switch....

You'll know it immediately when you screw up. I probably should have learned the first time.

I have done this. I promise I will never do it without looking again. Hurts.

Chester said:
The MKV is the most sensitive and responsive amp I have owned - both wonderful and frustrating at the same time.

I think that you summed up your own answer. I am currently having some challenges with the effects loop and running using a Stereo Chorus in stereo to another amp. I am hoping someone has a suggestion to help me understand and possibly how to combat the differences between the effects loop levels changing channel to channel using different power level settings 10w vs 45w.

I love the 90w setting across the board but the places we play are too small.

I had a feeling that there is a bit of a tone sucking when the signal goes through the fx loop vs straight until i realized that my nova system gain was too low. As soon as I set the gain properly i can't hear a difference between fx loop engaged vs bypassed. It changes of course when the effects are getting engaged, but that's expected.

Latest posts

Back