Why are Boogies Better than the rest?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogalian

Reaction score
Why are Boogies better than.....This seems to be a question on my mind recently. Should I try another amp? Would I be happier with the tone/quality etc of ..... Amp. Let me explain:
My first tube amp about 15 years ago was a Boogie and everything after was a Boogie too. I have never tasted fruit on other amp makers trees. I currently have a MKV, a TA30, an Express 5:25+ all of which I love and really don't have any problems or issues with. I can cover pretty much any sonic ground I need to but for some reason I can't help but wonder what makes some of the other amps so much (seemingly) more used and respected than Boogies. Seems like I read a lot of Boogie bashing articles which are filled with stuff I frequently disagree with. Although I'm happy with my rigs now I still feel like I would enjoy trying other amps for example I would like to buy a Roadster, an Electradyne, a Royal Atlantic and a Mini Recto. I know it seems like too many amps and some will cross over but my point is I want to try more Boogies!! Is there a better overall product out there which would be better than a Boogie? For example VOX, Hiwatt, Soldano, Divided by 13, 65 amps, Fenders, Marshall, Fuchs, Diesel, Two-Rock, Matchless, Bruno, Shwartt, the list goes on and on. Am I missing something by not trying something non Boogie? Did I start with the best and once I look outside the Boogie box just be dissapointed? What do you think?
Thanks for your opinion

I have owned many boogie products and still own a Mark V. I play mostly Hard Rock and Metal, but also some jazzy and pop stuff in my cover band. The Mark V covers those great.

I also enjoy the sound of a hot rodded Marshall EL34 type sound. I hope one day to pick up a Splawn, Ceriatone Chupacabra or Yeti, or a Marshall to fill that void.

I also like the sound of a Soldano SLO, I recently picked up an EVH 5150 III 50 watt, and that covers the SLO and a little more in that territory. Amazing amp for under a $1,000

There are many great amps out there and modellers are getting better. I would like to also get a Bogner.

Friedman also makes a Jerry Cantrel and Steve Stevens model that are outstanding, but they are not cheap.

Boogies are only better than the rest if they provide the sound that you're after. The build quality is much better than a lot of what is out there right now, but that doesn't matter if it doesn't give you the sounds you want.

Sure I agree with that. Doesn't Boogie pretty much cover most of the tonal palette? I know that is vague and broad but that is my point. I can't say I've not liked any of the Boogies I've played but is the Slo better than a DR for example. IDK? Is a Marshall that much different from a RA100? I mean I know they will be different but is the difference really that much? Not just the two examples I mentioned but across the board. Seems like the Boogie name, construction, history, craftsmanship etc is top notch not to mention the vast choice in tones many of which seem to cross over in terms of tone. Lost of choices but is there better options for tone making amps really out there or is it just a matter of personal preference? Like Ford vs Chevy Vs Dodge? IDK

Wow...you're going to probably get a lot of traffic on this topic!

My 2.5 cents...I've owned some early Marshall combo stuff, then ADA MP1, etc... Then bought my first Boogie, 2-channel Triple Rec, then the Mark V...

In that same period of time (more recently), I've been playing ALOT of amps with that same question in mind...really searching. My answer is that there are ALOT of other amps out there that are definitely worth trying out for sure.

It will make you a more well-rounded guitarist due to the different extremes and quality tones that will allow you to accentuate in different ways.

The Friedman Dirty Shirley is currently my top (non-Boogie) choice. Others include: Germino Lead 55 LOVO, Germino Monterey, early Fender tweeds (numerous revisions), black faces, silver faces, Diezel, Two Rock CSR, BOGNER ECSTACY 20th Anniversay model, BOGNER Twin Jet, Matchless, Top Hat, 13 Monkeys, Carol Ann, Category 5, Marshall Silver Jubilee , Yngwie model, Slash model, HENDRIX MODEL, early Plexis (all are different...play many), Dr. Z, Buddah, and SO MANY more that I would like to own and that I have personally played...who knows how many more that I have not even played that are potentially even better. Ahhhhhh.....the sweet chase!

But because of the versatility of the Mark V, I would probably only own one more head/cab combo (Friedman, BOGNER, hand-wired Marshall Plexi or equivalent clone ...) and that's all I could EVER need...and that's really saying a lot!

I've owned a few boogies, and been able to play through a few different models, and every time I'm able to get a great tone. That being said, I played a Diezel VH4 2 weeks ago and it blew my mind. Also played a JC120 and a Marshall JCM800. The Roland was great, the Marshall too, but for a very specific sound only. That Diezel though....wow...

Here is my thought on this very intriguing question.

A very interesting question with many answers. I think that the answer is one that could only be answered by the player. There are a few good amps out there. In my opinion there are more bad or mediocre ones than good. There are only a few companies that turn out top notch equipment across the board. For Mesa Boogie even what one might call an entry level amp is still an amp that is going to last for years and is also one that most any musician could throw a microphone in front of and blow you away in any venue. I will not trust a company that sells different grades of equipment. My experience has been when a company sells different grades of equipment; over time what was their best becomes garbage. They start cutting corners. You won’t find that on a Boogie.

As for the rest of it. I could hand you my guitar plugged into my amp and it’s going to sound like you. That is what Boogie’s do in my opinion better than any other. I think for me I can play my 4 hours a night hitting everything from heavy metal, country, blues, Neil Diamond, John Mayer, Jason Aldean to Bad Bad Leroy Brown with just an analog delay pedal, a chorus sometimes and I get complements on my tone.
Yes there are others out there. The sky is the limit. But words of advice “always buy, never sell”.

OldTelecasterMan said:
As for the rest of it. I could hand you my guitar plugged into my amp and it’s going to sound like you. That is what Boogie’s do in my opinion better than any other. I think for me I can play my 4 hours a night hitting everything from heavy metal, country, blues, Neil Diamond, John Mayer, Jason Aldean to Bad Bad Leroy Brown with just an analog delay pedal, a chorus sometimes and I get complements on my tone.

+1

I have owned many different amp brands (and guitars) over 30+ years, and learned a lot along the way. I cannot get passed Mesa's versatility, quality, value and "feel" (despite some highly frustrating periods), and currently own those detailed in the sig. I keep the Matchless because it does a few things really well, but isn't a patch on Mesa versatility

My bouts of GAS get my blood racing for a 2 CH PRS, Two Rocks, Dr Z, amongst others, but I never take the plunge after spending time with them. Comparing what these offer against my current stable of Mesa's just ain't enough to justify the investment - they are more limited in features and overall response

What comes out of Mesa is hard to beat ... for what I do

I've been playing 35+ years, and for the majority of that time, I was a die hard Marshall guy, but I did also own a couple of Hiwatts, Fender Twin Reverbs, and an Ampeg in my quest for the "ultimate tone".

Last year I stumbled upon a used Mk V combo, and it changed my life; this is the first amp that made me WANT to play it naked... no effects, just straight guitar. It is hands down one of the greatest amps that I've ever played through; I find inspiration every time I turn it on. It's truly more than an amplifier, it is an instrument unto itself.

I recently crossed paths with a '78 Mk II-A, 1x15 combo, and amazingly, I find myself playing that more that the Mk V; although most of the time I have them going in stereo. The clean sounds that come out of this amp are insane; and speaking of insane, it is STUPID loud. Even at 60 watts, I'm afraid to turn it past 3; this is a seriously manly rig. It's too bad that Mesa changed the circuitry when they added the FX loop on the Mk II-B, they lost some of the magic in the transformation.

Are Boogies better? Yes. Why? Randall Smith's cascading gain mojo permeates them; he did it first, he does it the best. Are you missing out? There are some great amps out there; but the bottom line is all about what pleases your ears.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Boogies are very excellent amplifiers, but there are other amps worth giving a shot. I love my Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100. Although, the only other amp I have owned that I liked as much tone-wise as a Boogie was a Laney AOR 50. It sounded great, but was a one-trick pony.

My only Boogie now is a 50 Caliber + and I LOVE IT!!!!

Oddly enough, I want another Nomad 100. I got rid of mine and I miss it. :D

Hmm

I was Mark IIC+,Colisseum head,Mark IV owner and have Marshall,Fender,H&K and Carvin too(+++)

Better is a huge word

I have 2 suggestions-->

1.) Axe-FX

You have all of above and its easier to haul arround.And YES its not tube,but so close that most cannot distinguish (on some amps virtually impossible)-I have my flamesuit on !!!

2.)Carvin C3M

Huge variety of sounds,more versatile then my Mark V (But till i cannot play an guitar anymore i will never split with my V)

My 2 cents

Roland

Latest posts

Back