Suggestions for overdrive pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTelecasterMan

Reaction score
I'm looking for a big, fat sounding overdrive pedal. One that I can drive into the clean channel. Don't want anything that is a big volume boost but something that is thick sounding.

Suggestions please...

What type of overdrive sound are you lookin for? Fuzz, metal, creamy, plexi,etc, ???

I would guess creamy, not sharp but with some definition. Kind of like a very overdriven Les Paul on the neck pickup but not muddy. If that makes sense.

So, so many are CAPABLE of giving you creamy, neck humbucker but with definition...

Try any or all of these for starters:

- Dirty Little Secret,
- TS9 (boutique, modded, stock, whatever),
- KOTB,
- Blackout Effectors,
- SL Drive,
- Kalamazoo,
- Wampler
- Box of Rock,
- Soul Food,

And definitely do NOT forget your guitar volume and tone knobs! Even with higher gain pedals, backing your guitar volume down can give you awesome results!

I use a Sparkle Drive Mod, which is a variation on a Tube Screamer, only with way more options to fine tune it to your taste.

Tubescreamer TS9DX turbo in hot or turbo mode, might do the trick. Plus it is so good to boost a bit Mark V's gain on pretty much any channel!
Tone and overdirve down, level all the way up, then spice with the tone to taste

Bluestoned1 said:
So, so many are CAPABLE of giving you creamy, neck humbucker but with definition...

Try any or all of these for starters:

- Dirty Little Secret,
- TS9 (boutique, modded, stock, whatever),
- KOTB,
- Blackout Effectors,
- SL Drive,
- Kalamazoo,
- Wampler
- Box of Rock,
- Soul Food,

And definitely do NOT forget your guitar volume and tone knobs! Even with higher gain pedals, backing your guitar volume down can give you awesome results!

+1 SL Drive

On the old school side, the TS9 Tube Screamer has a badass brother, the SD9 Sonic Distortion that can dial up some sweet tones. My all-time favorite(s) would have to be B.K. Butler Tubeworks Real Tube or Blue Tube pedals... I also dig the original Marshall Guv'nor pedal and Boss OD-1 Overdrive (The early 2 knob version)

i've had great results using the following:

klon centaur (clone)
Timmy
tubescreamer
boss FA-1

ricorocks said:
Te one and nly "BB Preamp" nuff said... :wink:

+1

In my case the BB+ which allows stacking one voicing onto another - with EQ that works with the core sound of the V, not against it

Also used a Fulltone FD2 for years which was excellent - found I only needed the BB+ to get what I want, so sold it

Back