Plastic power tube lead broke off inside of amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkV

Reaction score
I was swapping the positions of the matched tube to try to extend tube life (since I mostly play on 10w) and one of my tubes would not go in. I noticed that the plastic lead (on the bottom center of the vacuum tube) had snapped off inside the socket. I have tried several methods to get it out and it is stuck in the socket.

Does you know to to remove the remaining plastic?

take a toothpick or similar and push it through to the inside. It won't hurt anything, and you can later remove the chassis and get it out.

thunda1216 said:
take a toothpick or similar and push it through to the inside. It won't hurt anything, and you can later remove the chassis and get it out.
That's not going to work with the MKV's PCB mount Sockets, there is not a hole through the PCB......
http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=38280

Maybe tweezers? If the pin is hollow maybe you can start a screw into that hole and pull the pin out.

Just be careful, there are lethal voltages stored in the amp, even when unplugged.

Dom

Thanks Dom- I have tried tweezers and tried to start a screw as well. The plastic is quite hard. I can't get a screw to go in. As for current, do you know how to drain it so I don't fry myself?

In very olden days when I worked on TV's (35 years ago, and I don't remember crap at this point!):

1) Take a screw driver and on the end of the AC plug (still plugged into the amp but not the wall, of course) short out the negative to positive terminals that plugs into the wall. It's okay to do the same from the ground to negative and ground to positive terminals. This may release stored up energy in any capacitors.

2) Only use one hand, at all times. This way voltage/amperage can not go from one arm to the other and through your heart.

3) We used to wear wrist bracelets that were grounded and connected to the ground of the TV. Same thing applies here.

4) Call a local tech. No shame in it. I hate getting zapped. These amps can kill you, so ultra care should always be used! I don't even like changing tubes anymore.

Have a pro fix it. They are "in the grove" and active in repairing dangerous electronics.

HwyStar said:
In very olden days when I worked on TV's (35 years ago, and I don't remember crap at this point!):

1) Take a screw driver and on the end of the AC plug (still plugged into the amp but not the wall, of course) short out the negative to positive terminals that plugs into the wall. It's okay to do the same from the ground to negative and ground to positive terminals. This may release stored up energy in any capacitors.

2) Only use one hand, at all times. This way voltage/amperage can not go from one arm to the other and through your heart.

3) We used to wear wrist bracelets that were grounded and connected to the ground of the TV. Same thing applies here.

4) Call a local tech. No shame in it. I hate getting zapped. These amps can kill you, so ultra care should always be used! I don't even like changing tubes anymore.

Have a pro fix it. They are "in the grove" and active in repairing dangerous electronics.

Whoa!! Not recommended!!

Once the amp is on and warmed up, unplug the amp leaving the standby and power switch ON. The filter caps will drain in a few minutes.

I would agree with #4 above - if you don't know what you're doing in there, you probably shouldn't be in there!

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice Boogie! Like I said, it has been a while...

Glue a toothpick into the hole in the pin. Pull the pin out after the glue dries.

Tube dealers sell a part that replaces the pin so you can continue using the tube without worrying about installing it incorrectly.

Back