Noise problem with FX loop active

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott7d

Reaction score
Whenever my FX loop is bypassed (using master volume only), the amp is quiet as can be even at high volume/gain settings. Very little humming or feedback. When I activate the FX loop, I start to get some noise problems. The more I turn up the output on the front of the amp, the worse it gets. I've tried giving it more master volume and dialing back the output, but then I cant really get it to "gig" volumes unless the output is at 9 or 10 o'clock. The noise is there even if no pedals are active. Could this be a tube issue? I am stumped since the amp is so quiet when not using using the output and loop. I am not playing at extreme levels either. Mainly small to medium venues. I bought a Voodoo Labs power supply and that did not help either.

I'll try to explain more the best I can if anyone has some ideas I can start off with.

Thanks!

scott7d said:
Whenever my FX loop is bypassed (using master volume only), the amp is quiet as can be even at high volume/gain settings. Very little humming or feedback. When I activate the FX loop, I start to get some noise problems. The more I turn up the output on the front of the amp, the worse it gets. I've tried giving it more master volume and dialing back the output, but then I cant really get it to "gig" volumes unless the output is at 9 or 10 o'clock. The noise is there even if no pedals are active. Could this be a tube issue? I am stumped since the amp is so quiet when not using using the output and loop. I am not playing at extreme levels either. Mainly small to medium venues. I bought a Voodoo Labs power supply and that did not help either.

I'll try to explain more the best I can if anyone has some ideas I can start off with.

Thanks!

Is anything in the fx loop?

Have you done any tube troubleshooting?

If you have the loop active and nothing in the loop, and there is still noise - try swapping out the V6 preamp tube.

Thanks!

Due to lack of extra tubes, I haven't done any troubleshooting as far as that route. Definitely something I will do though. Was hoping to maybe make a discovery before that if possible.

I only have one pedal in the loop and it is a Visual Sound H2O chorus/delay. The noise is there even if its not active but I will take it out of the loop completely and see what it does. Thanks for the tip on the V6 position, will pick up a tube tomorrow.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back