Mark V + Wampler Pedals Issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yulian

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am having some issues with Wampler pedals (I have a few of them) going in front of my Mesa Mark V amp.

My current set up is Mesa Mark V with Mesa Rectifier 4x12 cab and a PRS Custom 24 all purchased a month or two ago.
When I put the Wampler pedals through the clean channel of my amp they sound awful.

I uploaded some sound clips so you can hear the issue. All of the pedals have a dreadful and gainy sound, they do not sound anything even remotely of how they should.

Clean Channel, then Wampler Velvet fuzz on:
https://soundcloud.com/yulian-levit/audio-recording-on-thursday-1/s-GHLQ6

Also in extreme mode of Mark V (without anything in front) I can hear some of that effect as well.

Channel 3 - Extreme:
https://soundcloud.com/yulian-levit/audio-recording-on-thursday-2/s-nJ9gx

I've tried with different batteries, power supplies, guitar cables and nothing so far.
I am thinking something is wrong with my amp.

Would really appreciate your help guys, it's really frustrating.

Thanks,

Yulian

Hey:

I have a Mark V head and use a wampler Brent Mason Hot Wired overdrive... No problems at. As a matter of face, it sounds amazing. I would call Boogie stat. They are great group of guys who will help you. I'd be interested on you make out.

Good luck man

Marc

Just a thought - is your overall volume very low? I thought I heard your guitar strings.

Your amp will not perform optimally when turned down that low. Especially if you have something in your effects loop (or are otherwise not hard-bypassing it). Try cranking your overall volume a bit and see if the problem persists.

The next thing to try would be new tubes.

I've made a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANewi1xMeOE

The most major issue are seen on high gain pedals triple wreck (getting barely any sound and slight hiss) and Velvet Fuzz.
I've tried battery powered, 2 different power units, multiple different guitar cables.

LesPaul70 said:
The next thing to try would be new tubes.

Yes! :eek:
Grab a spare (or 2), new or known to be good, 12ax7 and swap out one at a time starting with V1 (closest to input jack). See if that makes a difference. While possible more than one tube is bad, it's likely to be just one that is the main cause.

Best of luck!

The MKV is the most sensitive and responsive amp I know, and will highlight any weakness in your signal chain. From your video, it looks like a unity gain issue - nothing wrong with the amp

Also in extreme mode of Mark V (without anything in front) I can hear some of that effect as well.
So with the guitar direct in you can have some same issue (with maybe lower issue) ?
Problem must come from the amp, so check tubes (rolling on !)

Hey man did you find out what the problem was after.I have the velvet fuzz myself and it sounds dreadful through the v also.Ive tried it on every channel too.Just really thin and waspy sounding.Perhaps this amp and pedal just dont work together?

I currently have 3 (had 4) Wampler pedals on my board: Paisley, Pinnacle, SLOstortion, and just sold my Triple Wreck (no need for it now with my Mark 5).

I have no issues with any of them and think they all sound really good in all 3 modes on the clean channel, but I mainly use the Tweed mode.

I'd check the tubes.

tele_jas said:
I currently have 3 (had 4) Wampler pedals on my board: Paisley, Pinnacle, SLOstortion, and just sold my Triple Wreck (no need for it now with my Mark 5).

I have no issues with any of them and think they all sound really good in all 3 modes on the clean channel, but I mainly use the Tweed mode.

I'd check the tubes.
Yup id agree.After trying it through my mates Mark v it sounded pretty good.The previous owner of my one did say he replaced V1 preamp tube with a JJ so thats most likely the problem.

Just one more random thought, is there anything in your signal chain before the fuzz? Pedals? Active pickups in your guitar?

I don't know if the Wampler fuzz is germanium-based but if it is, you could run into impedance issues if you have anything but low-to-medium gain passive pickups before it in your signal chain.

Back