Mark V Combo - Slave Output to another Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thalweg

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a second combo and want to try something different. I also want to also use the second combo amp to blend with the Mark V. E.G Mark V for semi saturated cleans and the other combo for more drive and blend the two together.

As I understand the Slave...it includes BOTH pre-amp and power-amp sections. So that if I take the Mark V slave out and plug that into the "other" Combo Instrument in..I will get A. a hot signal and B. added pre-amp gain into the second combo?

My questions are:
1. is the above an accurate statement and if so, how would I get the "Second" combo to have just an instrument level input without any Sound Coloration from the Mark V "Master'? without using an ABY box?

2. Would the use of the Effects out be a better choice?

3. Can any of you share your multi-amp setups?

Thanks a lot!

The Slave Out is tapped off of the output transformer, and is a line-level signal. Plugging it into the instrument input of a second amp will DEFINITELY slam the input stages of that amp, and not necessarily in a good way. Running it through an A/B/Y will not reduce it to an instrument level signal. The effects loop send is also a line-level signal, so no dice there, either. The simple solution is to run an A/B/Y in front of both amps, which is what they were designed to do.

I use a Mark V combo and do this regularly with a few other amps for bigger-venue live gigs.
I'll run the Mark V Slave-out to the FX-in on the 2nd amp, and adjust the Slave level control accordingly. This allows me to run the power sections of both amps with the Mark V's preamp.

I've done this successfully with other Mark amps (Mark IV, Mark IIc, TA-30 and also with a Dr. Z Stang-Ray). It actually works quite well. Just one cable between the amps.

MeZa

mesadude said:
I use a Mark V combo and do this regularly with a few other amps for bigger-venue live gigs.
I'll run the Mark V Slave-out to the FX-in on the 2nd amp, and adjust the Slave level control accordingly. This allows me to run the power sections of both amps with the Mark V's preamp.

I've done this successfully with other Mark amps (Mark IV, Mark IIc, TA-30 and also with a Dr. Z Stang-Ray). It actually works quite well. Just one cable between the amps.

MeZa

Have you tried adding any modulation in that signal chain? It makes for a killer wet/dry setup! I run out of my Mk II into a TC Chorus, Vibrato, and Delay then into the FX return of the Mk V... Insane!

Check out a wet / dry / wet set up.
I run my Mark V dry out to a 2x12 Recto Cab (with EVM 12L)
Then I take the slave out from the Mark V into my G Major 2
Left and right outputs of G Major 2 feed a Mesa 2:50 Power Amp (both channels)
I run a Theile 1x12 cab out of each channel spread apart with my dry 2x12 in the middle.

It kicks *** ! You get the raw Mark tone from the middle cab
then you have wet (from GMajor 2) left and right IN STEREO

Agreed Dino,
I have a similar setup but use the Mesa 20:20 for my stereo power amp.

I am using a Line 6 DL4 from the slave of the MKV and it makes for great stereo delay as well as a looper that doesn't change in volume due to channel switching on the MKV. I have also had good luck with stereo Reverb this way but I am still in search for a good reverb unit, possibly rack mount.

***just start with the slave at "0" and slowly roll it on so you don't blow anything, including your ears. I've also noticed that the MKV is much better paired with analog effects rather than digital.

I also tried this thru a Road King (channel 3 raw mode with low gain settings) before I sold it, made for an awesome blend of Recto and Mark tone with the responsiveness of the MKV, but didn't make since to run such a feature loaded amp for only that use so I made the switch to a 20:20 (also the RK did not allow for the stereo effects to be used to their potential).

What would i need to take the signal from the slave out to feed an stereo power like the 2:90???

I own a DI countryman 85 type, can I use the direct amp output and the mic output to feed both sections of the 2:90?

An splitter like the radial LX-2 would do the magic?

The inputs of the 2:90 can manage a balanced cable?... like a XRL->TRS cables from the mic output of the countryman or the two outputs of the radial splitter?

Thanks in advance and happy new year.

Best regards
DZ

Back