Dialing a Mark V lead channel to Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rp108

Reaction score
So, I have a Mark IV that I think is awesome. My favorite amp I have ever owned or played. My question is, since it seems like Mark IVs are harder to come by I am debating on getting a Mark V as a backup while giving me more flexibility with another clean channel and rhythm channel.

Now I owned one before and wasn't loving it like the Mark IV but I didn't own them at the same time and I think because it was my first Mark I wasn't used to dialing them in. I did compare them side by side briefly in a local guitar shop recently and I still thought the Mark IV owned it.

But, I am thinking with some serious tweaking, it might be possible to get the lead channel to sound like my Mark IV.

Has anyone had success getting the Mark V to sound like a Mark IV or is it a lost cause?

rp108 said:
So, I have a Mark IV that I think is awesome. My favorite amp I have ever owned or played. My question is, since it seems like Mark IVs are harder to come by I am debating on getting a Mark V as a backup while giving me more flexibility with another clean channel and rhythm channel.

Now I owned one before and wasn't loving it like the Mark IV but I didn't own them at the same time and I think because it was my first Mark I wasn't used to dialing them in. I did compare them side by side briefly in a local guitar shop recently and I still thought the Mark IV owned it.

But, I am thinking with some serious tweaking, it might be possible to get the lead channel to sound like my Mark IV.

Has anyone had success getting the Mark V to sound like a Mark IV or is it a lost cause?

I have both and can't go wrong with either one. I can make the V sound like the IV. I think it sounds awesome once you get it loud. I would take in consideration that the tubes on the V are different than the IV and has a different feel. Once i changed out the stock power tubes of the V, it doesn't sound as bouncy IMO.

I use both of them evenly and they sound great. The IV sounds better at low volumes and hte V has better cleans.

I have both. I think the V sounds better at low volumes but the V needs to be in 90 watts to match the raw aggression of th IV. The ceans and crunch are way way better on the V. Playing them both in stereo sounds better than either amp alone, way better.

I use to have a IV, I kept the V because the Channel 1 and 2 are much better on the V. Channel 3 on the IV is a little better on the IV.

Overall, the V is more versatile and I can get a great sound on all three channels. I only play on the 90 watt setting and my secret weapon is to use an Xotic EP Booster. I have it turned on all the time and have the dial set to all the way off or at the 9:00 position.

4406cuda said:
I use to have a IV, I kept the V because the Channel 1 and 2 are much better on the V. Channel 3 on the IV is a little better on the IV.

Overall, the V is more versatile and I can get a great sound on all three channels. I only play on the 90 watt setting and my secret weapon is to use an Xotic EP Booster. I have it turned on all the time and have the dial set to all the way off or at the 9:00 position.

Interesting - what does having the EP almost OFF do to the sound and response of the V? Adding additional trace into the circuit will doubtless have some effect, but I'm curious as to what such a low boost does for you

Cheers

4406cuda said:
... and my secret weapon is to use an Xotic EP Booster. I have it turned on all the time and have the dial set to all the way off or at the 9:00 position.

Amen brother. I don't really know why it sounds so good but it is pretty much always on for me too.

Chester said:
4406cuda said:

Interesting - what does having the EP almost OFF do to the sound and response of the V? Adding additional trace into the circuit will doubtless have some effect, but I'm curious as to what such a low boost does for you

Cheers

The EP Booster makes the guitar sound fatter and smooth/pleasant. It is suppose to replicate the sound of Echoplex circuitry.

4406cuda said:
Chester said:
4406cuda said:

Cheers

The EP Booster makes the guitar sound fatter and smooth/pleasant. It is suppose to replicate the sound of Echoplex circuitry.

I get similar results from a slight volume boost from a BB+. The gain can be set to almost zero, with volume up to around 10 ish. Adds some harmonic content and sustain which is addictive

Just wondering if adding an EP to the arsenal would do anything even more addictive for me :mrgreen:

I've heard both amps side by side before, and I can tell you, it's not 100% the same. However, it's not like one is better or worse than the other, just slightly different. It's just that because the Mark IV came first and has been discontinued, people tend to have a nostalgic feel about it, and may rate it better than the Mark V...

I'm not nostalgic about my MKIV. I tried the MKV numerous times and still prefer the IV's lead channel to the V's lead channel. The IV's lead channel is more versatile and organic sounding to me due to not having gain fixed at 7.5 and the push pull options. I think the V's channels 1 & 2 are better though. I play a lot on the lead channel so I have to have the IV, I use a JMP for channel 2 type MKV rock. I like my Triaxis/Coliseum300 rack better than both the IV or V for live gigging.

Back