JP13 and Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnR

Reaction score
I ordered a new Music Man JP13 because I figured if ever a guitar was developed to take advantage of the Mark V, this was it. It arrived as I was heading out to a gig. Sweetwater claims to do a full prep and setup, and boy do they do a great job. I gigged it literally right after pulling it from the box, and played it as my only guitar all night in a cover/backing band for an open jam gig, covering everything from Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac to total electric freak outs and all points in between. I was shocked at how much I relied on the coil tap. Through the clean channel in fat mode it was like having a ballsy tele under my control and just nailed CCR songs and even the clean passages of Little Wing. The boost knob turned the sound into a liquid sustain that held a note forever, and the thing seemed to play itself. It felt like the notes I were reaching for and sounds and harmonics always appeared under my fingers with no effort and just poured out of the amp. Oh, and the Emerald Green Metallic flake has to be seen closeup in stage lights to be believed. I like.
1237058_558605140867351_1975073251_n.jpg

Awesome glad you like it. I heard once you go musicman you never go back.

Just got a separate acoustic amp for the piezo. Bluegrass with a whammy bar....into Metallic with a flick of the switch. Having a special stereo cable made from the guitar that splits to my electric amp and and acoustic. This guitar is like bring three guitars to a gig...Humbucker rock and roll machine, tele spanker, and acoustic strummer. Rock and roll.

bdubbs said:
Awesome glad you like it. I heard once you go musicman you never go back.

dubbs, my dream was a Les Paul Standard. I bought a MusicMan Reflex and have never looked back. Great Company great Guitars. Check them out.

Oh, the MKV is a beast!

Mick

I figured if there ever was a guitar designed with the Mark V in mind, this would be it.

Had to chime in...

Having recently bought a used JP6 BFR, every time I plug that thing into the Mark V I simply smile. It's a tremendous instrument. I'm dying for a JP13 and had no idea Sweetwater was carrying them. 24 months, 0%, too!!! Oh no!!!

I'm also a firm believer in the "once you have (one) you never go back" concept. EBMM guitars seem to be a real work of art. I'm really looking forward to my next one.

Cheers.

EDIT: I can't believe I missed this. I'm a big Sweetwater fan and have been typing in "Ernie Ball" to see if they add EBMM guitars to their line and never thought to simply type in "Music Man" to see that they carry the full line. I'm a complete idiot.

EDIT 08/27/13 - Ah-hah! I'm not as much of an idiot as I thought. Just got an email from Sweetwater that they just added Music Man guitars. Still sweet. Excellent instruments, IMO.

I recently picked up a JP12 to go with my mark v - and it's all I play these days.. killer axe, feels like it's made for the Mark V

If there has ever been an example of signature guitar that has evolved based on endless touring and concerts, it's the JP line. It's a great gift to Mankind. Everything is setup beautifully for live playing at the highest level. I recall an early interview around the time of Awake when John said he was surprised at the level of difficulty of nailing every song in an entire concert. At the time he was using his Ibanez 6 and 7 strings and he was developing his "road chops" on a sharp curve. You can hear his growth as a player over the years, which is impressive since he was already highly developed by the time Images was made. His tone has grown light years since then.

Combined with the MkV, the JP13 must surely be one of the greatest metal combinations ever devised! 8) If you can't perform with that setup.....look in the mirror.......

My only real dilemma will be which MM JP I eventually get first...6 or 7 string...

Back