Master Volume not working.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La_Aus

Reaction score
Hi. My first post on the forum.

My Mesa Mark V has a problem:
The main master on the amp doesnt change volume at all. When I turn it it does nothing. It was ok a week ago but this problem just started this week. Also when I click in to Standby the amp makes a loud pop.
The individual channel Masters work though.

Any suggestions on what might be causing it would be appreciated.

Is your Effects Loop turned off on the back of the amp? Because that will disengage the Master Volume and Solo circuit leaving you with only the individual channel masters.

Can't help you with the popping on stand-by.

Cur said:
Is your Effects Loop turned off on the back of the amp? Because that will disengage the Master Volume and Solo circuit leaving you with only the individual channel masters.

Can't help you with the popping on stand-by.

Thanks. Problem solved. The loop was turned off.

Now I have to solve this popping noise. I happens when I flick through channels with the footswitch. And when I turn the amp off or on standby.

That popping noise is a "feature" ;) You can minimize it by having the channels be on the same wattage. I get louder pops when going from 45 to 10 watts.

Good RTFM thread... It's pretty well-written, so check it out.

Mesa uses mechanical relays in their amps. The audio quality is higher but the trade off is that they pop when switched. It's usually worst when the amp is brand new and gets better over time.

Thanks for the responses.
I recently lent this amp to a friend, and when I got it back I was questioning if this and that sound was normal, or if he'd damaged it. But I shouldnt be concerned. Its a great amp.

La_Aus said:
I recently lent this amp to a friend, and when I got it back I was questioning if this and that sound was normal, or if he'd damaged it. But I shouldnt be concerned. Its a great amp.

I guess your friend did not tell you he or she dropped it down the stairs before returning it to you.... Only kidding..

I had no noise at all when changing channels (kept the watts on all channels the same). Now I do only when the amp is beginning to warm up. After that it remains quiet. As for the standby switch, that will make noise on occasion.

bandit2013 said:
La_Aus said:

I guess your friend did not tell you he or she dropped it down the stairs before returning it to you.... Only kidding..

I had no noise at all when changing channels (kept the watts on all channels the same). Now I do only when the amp is beginning to warm up. After that it remains quiet. As for the standby switch, that will make noise on occasion.

Thanks for that. That explains why I didnt notice the popping before. i keep channels on the same wattage usually. I'll have to keep the channels all the same wattage from now on. :D

I will still get popping noises when switching from CH1 to CH3 on occasion, even when all channels are set to same output. Seems to only happen if CH3 is in mark IV mode with the power tube configuration set to pentode. I have not tired it with the tirode setting. I have not noticed noise if CH3 is in extreme mode. Also if I use the hard bypass I have not noticed any popping when channel changing. Something to check out again just to see if it is related to loop or pentode mode.

La_Aus said:
bandit2013 said:
La_Aus said:

Thanks for that. That explains why I didnt notice the popping before. i keep channels on the same wattage usually. I'll have to keep the channels all the same wattage from now on. :D

That is what bugs me. You pay all the money for this amp and one of the greatest features is the channel assignable power and yet you cant use it as intended because of the popping.

I have been trying to verify the pop noise. Seems to occur early in use and have not noticed switch over noise when everything is warmed up. It only seems to occur at random when switching from CH1 (90W) to CH3(45W). I will have to check to see if there is a difference in variac power or full power. I generally run CH1 in 90W and the other 2 in 45W. Recently I rolled some tubes in the preamp to cure some noise issues, now it is hard to tell if the standby switch is on or off unless you play something. Since then, I have not noticed popping when channel switching after rolling v4-v6. Not sure if that is the fix.

LetsBoogie said:
That is what bugs me. You pay all the money for this amp and one of the greatest features is the channel assignable power and yet you cant use it as intended because of the popping.

You can switch between 45 and 90 watt modes without issue, its only switching in/out of 10w mode that produces the loud pops. The reasons for which Mesa explains in the manual.

screamingdaisy said:
LetsBoogie said:

You can switch between 45 and 90 watt modes without issue, its only switching in/out of 10w mode that produces the loud pops. The reasons for which Mesa explains in the manual.

Just because Mesa explain's it in the manual, doesn't make it right. You don't read the manual before you buy the amp, right ??

LetsBoogie said:
Just because Mesa explain's it in the manual, doesn't make it right. You don't read the manual before you buy the amp, right ??

I did, but I've owned a lot of Mesa amps and know what their manuals are like.

The Mark V isn't my first amp that can switch between class A and A/B. They all pop when switching in and out of class A mode. It's a limitation of the technology. They could've deleted the feature due to the popping but they gave us the option anyway. I think they made the right call.

Same thing with the pops when channel switching. They could've used noiseless switching technology at the cost of reduced audio quality. Again, I think they made the right call.

No one complains that true bypass pedals pop because we all know that the trade off for silent switching is tone suck.... but when they do it in an amp everyone thinks they're getting screwed over.

screamingdaisy said:
LetsBoogie said:

The Mark V isn't my first amp that can switch between class A and A/B. They all pop when switching in and out of class A mode. It's a limitation of the technology. They could've deleted the feature due to the popping but they gave us the option anyway. I think they made the right call.

Same thing with the pops when channel switching. They could've used noiseless switching technology at the cost of reduced audio quality. Again, I think they made the right call.

No one complains that true bypass pedals pop because we all know that the trade off for silent switching is tone suck.... but when they do it in an amp everyone thinks they're getting screwed over.

Ummm my true bypass pedals dont pop. Not one of them so i dont know about that point.

Sorry but a switching pop in this day and age is not acceptable in my book. They could have used noiseless switching technology and ya wouldn't even know.

One of the big features is the channel assignable power and the popping renders it absolutely useless in a live situation. Imagine constant popping during a gig when the amp is cranked up. Its ridiculous.

Shame on you Mesa.

LetsBoogie said:
One of the big features is the channel assignable power and the popping renders it absolutely useless in a live situation. Imagine constant popping during a gig when the amp is cranked up. Its ridiculous.

Have you ever even used a Mark V live?

screamingdaisy said:
LetsBoogie said:

Have you ever even used a Mark V live?

Not on stage no. The audience may not notice it but i would.

Wow, this thread just saved me a few hundred bucks...

I was ready to buy a hotplate until I came across this topic and finally could "warm up" my MarkV without bleeding the building!

LetsBoogie said:
screamingdaisy said:
LetsBoogie said:

Ummm my true bypass pedals dont pop. Not one of them so i dont know about that point.

Sorry but a switching pop in this day and age is not acceptable in my book. They could have used noiseless switching technology and ya wouldn't even know.

Shame on you Mesa.
A relay and switch are pretty different animals.

I have a mark V. Using it live with a full band you probably wouldn't use 10 watt if you are playing rock. If you are playing something lighter you could probably go 10 watt on all the channels and there shouldn't be a pop.

At rehearsal last night I noticed my butt was completely gone in my sound. I looked at had left channel 3 in 45 watt. I switched to 90, didn't really get louder except the butt was back baby.

Back