135vac at wall

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad100hd

Reaction score
So the a/c in my apartment 135vac apparently the reason my mark noisy as hell even on the clean channel. My question is what damage could or has this done? I already had to have the pretubes replaced before it was 6months old. Just found out today voltage was bad. I need good reasons to push my landlord to find a solution.

:!: :!: :!:

135 volts is way too high. the input voltage at the wall determines the operating voltage of every component in the amp (duh) and too much can definitely wear out your amp, if not fry it. definitely get your landlord to do something about it. this is the exact reason I made the investment on a voltage regulator.

What type of voltage regulator did you buy? I know i can't use my amp at home till I find a solution. I'm looking for more of a technical perspective on the effect on what to look for to determine if perms an damage has been done to my amp.

I really doubt the reason for your noise is specifically due the the 135V, as much as some other EMI/RFI issue. Is the noise present with nothing plugged into the amp except a speaker?

135V is really not that high, and I doubt there is any damage to the amp (150V would be too high).

If it were me I would call Mesa (or a Mesa tech) and ask if 135V is too high for daily operation.

BTW- I doubt your landlord can be held responsible for this unless your location is the only one in the area at 135V. Have you tried calling your utility about this?

Dom

Vintage Sound Workbench is a small company in Illinois that sells excellent variacs. The nice thing about the variacs is that you cannot accidentally flip a switch and zoom way higher than the incoming line voltage.

Hopefully Mesa Engineering did their homework and designed the amp to operate at +/-20%. I have been designing integrated electronic control systems for residential and commercial applications for HVAC market for over 15 years. To pass UL/ETL and or CSA, line voltage products must perform without failure at the extreme over voltage conditions without insulation breakdown between high voltage and low voltage circuits that will have human contact.

Your utility is probably a 3 phase 480V service. Sounds like there is an issue with one of the distrubution transformers in your appartment complex. Did you check other outlets in your appartment? I would definately complain. If your DVM or meter you used has a certified calibration you will have something to back you up. You could always recheck with a different meter if one is available. That is one thing I have not checked in my own home. It is bad enough when I operate the dishwasher and hear the motor noise through the amp. That is one noisy appliance.

bandit2013 said:
Hopefully Mesa Engineering did their homework and designed the amp to operate at +/-20%.

Yeah... 135 volts sounds terrible and I'm not sure I would be comfortable with it, but honestly, modern tube equipment should be able to stand up to it. Vintage tube amplifiers, be they guitar or hi-fi, no, but a state of the art tube amp? Certainly.

I'd still nag the land lord to get this fixed.

Latest posts

Back