New Mark V head shell day! Any advice on the swap out?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean106ESP

Reaction score
Hey all, I got my replacement head shell today. Any advice on making the change. No instructions were provided and I am semi-handy lol, so just looking for any tips or advice on changing the head shell. My old one has a big crack on the top from diving off a 4x12 before a gig.

Thanks in advance!

A81B4F4A-A1AB-483D-B18B-88FA8AB86D5B-27652-00001A71B475503D_zps467564fe.jpg

03BEEF46-1716-4E87-BB35-9A8BF4D79A15-27652-00001A71BB9E72D3_zps22ec2b14.jpg

It's a pretty easy swap. Hook up your reverb before sliding in the cab, it's pretty tight if you hook it up last. Nice shell, I wonder if they sell just the front grill?

jmontgomery said:
It's a pretty easy swap. Hook up your reverb before sliding in the cab, it's pretty tight if you hook it up last. Nice shell, I wonder if they sell just the front grill?

Thanks man.

When looking at the front grill it is funny as it looks sooooo simple to do. i thought it would be much more custom/high end made. it looks like wocker from a craft store stapled on. lol

Amp removal from the old shell is easy. Just remember to loosten the support under the transformer. I took mine apart to investigate why the effects loop was not working by the footswitch. Needed to verify if the center terminal was used. Of course they gave me the wrong cable for the amp, even though the 7 pin din worked fine except for the effects loop bypass switch. Reassembly was a different issue. I needed to remove the grill since it was a tight fit to slide the chassis back into the shell.

bandit2013 said:
Amp removal from the old shell is easy. Just remember to loosten the support under the transformer. I took mine apart to investigate why the effects loop was not working by the footswitch. Needed to verify if the center terminal was used. Of course they gave me the wrong cable for the amp, even though the 7 pin din worked fine except for the effects loop bypass switch. Reassembly was a different issue. I needed to remove the grill since it was a tight fit to slide the chassis back into the shell.
Thanks. I am going to make a go this weekend. I recall when I brought it to a shop as I was having FX loop issues the guy popped it back in pretty quick. Then again I am not a tech but gives me the impression it comes in and out semi-easily.Hope I have the right tools etc.

That was nice and easy. From now I am totally taking it out to replace pre amp tubes. Way easier then being a surgeon. Looks great and of course sounds wonderful as always..

DSC_0054_zps7820058b.jpg

Nice and classy.
419E2DDD-C957-4814-9F19-8A9554777DCD-30981-00001D4C3E8A2BEC_zps08ada166.jpg

Looks good, but if I may be so rude, what does Mesa charge for something like that assuming it was made to order?

farren said:
Looks good, but if I may be so rude, what does Mesa charge for something like that assuming it was made to order?

Not being dude. Was a out 4 hundred and change. They dont have them stock so it took 5 weeks to ship. Looks like a brand new head day at home!! Lol

Ouch. My new Triple head shell with diamond plate was only $299 direct from Mesa and its quite a bit larger than a Mark V head shell. Surely they didn't charge $100+ for the wicker grill?

SonVolt said:
Ouch. My new Triple head shell with diamond plate was only $299 direct from Mesa and its quite a bit larger than a Mark V head shell. Surely they didn't charge $100+ for the wicker grill?

No idea. Got it direct from mesa as well (via CS).

Guess they charge more for the Mark V shell.

they quoted me $299 on the phone too. i got a custom head cab from Dr Hardwood for a little more. figured maple and chose my own color/stain.

I suggest you mod the head cab like I did. It makes changing tubes effortless. I dont know why mesa doesnt make the head cabs like this to begin with.
IMG_01491_zpsbed245b7.jpg

Once you put the grill back on you cant even tell anything was done.
IMG_01511_zps17b42663.jpg

I love the look of the custom head shells, but have yet to pull the trigger.

I may do that cutout on the front panel, because my wrist is still killing me from trying to pull tubes, lol and I was too lazy to pull the chassis. Great idea!

If anyone wants the old stock black grill with the boogie logo, send me a PM. Thanks!

To change the tubes with ease, don't you just take the front grille out with the 4 screws?

kevinjames said:
To change the tubes with ease, don't you just take the front grille out with the 4 screws?

There is a solid piece of plywood behind the grill.

So if you take the grill off, there's a solid piece of wood behind there and you can't access the tubes from the front. Is that what you are saying?a

Oh I see, this guy modified his ha?

IMG_01491_zpsbed245b7.jpg

Back