Flooded Mark V head and 4x12 Recto cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricorocks

Reaction score
Hey all, I was out playing a gig this weekend and at a certain point it started to rain as hard as hell!!! i was able to keep my axe and myself outta the rain , but my halfstack Mark V head and 4x12 Recto cab got soaked to the core . i'm talkin' really wet. i am now terrified to turn them on and have NO idea what kind of damage the amp and cabs have undergone???. does anyone have any experience with soaked amps and cabs due to outdoor sudden thunderstorms hard as HELL??? can anyone tell me what i should expect from my amp and cab. i am so sad it was all new eauipment! aren't these prof. instruments supposed to withstand playing in the rain??? Please someone shed some light . i am terrified at what i did in one night's jam... :( :( :(

For the speaker NO idea

For the amp-If it was shut off-

Dissasemble it from headcab

All tubes out(make sure you unloaded the caps like you do with other amps for bias/real hazard )
Fuse out
wash it with clean water

drain it as good as possible-->shake it--dry it with a clean cloth

then you put it beside an oven (take care not to exceed 60° Celsius) from all sides

After 2 days(2,TWO) doing so(and you are sure all water is gone) reasssemble tubes fuse-->put it on wood brackets-->Speaker+cable on-->power it up ,dont touch initially

worked for mine 1,5 m under water

Roland

ricorocks said:
Hey all, I was out playing a gig this weekend and at a certain point it started to rain as hard as hell!!! i was able to keep my axe and myself outta the rain , but my halfstack Mark V head and 4x12 Recto cab got soaked to the core . i'm talkin' really wet. i am now terrified to turn them on and have NO idea what kind of damage the amp and cabs have undergone???. does anyone have any experience with soaked amps and cabs due to outdoor sudden thunderstorms hard as HELL??? can anyone tell me what i should expect from my amp and cab. i am so sad it was all new eauipment! aren't these prof. instruments supposed to withstand playing in the rain??? Please someone shed some light . i am terrified at what i did in one night's jam... :( :( :(

I got nothing...but ****!!!

ricorocks said:
...... aren't these prof. instruments supposed to withstand playing in the rain???
:shock: :shock:

I don't know of any amp that is designed to be played in the rain! Electricity & water do not mix well. The warnings on the back of the amp state to avoid moisture inside the amp.

Next time bring a tarp big enough to cover your gear and leave it folded up on stage behind the amp for just such an emergency. That is what I do for any outdoor gig.

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Dom

thanks for your great tip thunder 100. i'll try and see what happens. but ****.... waited so long to have this new gear. why doesn't anything ever happen to old stuff?!? thanks all. hope all works out for the best or else!!!!!! :( :(

NEVER book a gig, no matter how well it pays, how much exposure you get, or how many famous musicians are playing there, where there is NOT ample protection for your gear and/or insurance on the rider.

Did you try putting them in a bag of rice for a few days???? lol, sorry, couldnt resist....

my stuff was hammered by an F-5 tornado, and the amps that weren't smashed to hell recieved at least 5 inches of rain...probably more....I didn't have any time to take any measures immediately after the tornado because we lost everything. I did fire up my Mk II B+ about 1 1/2 weeks of sitting in my mother in law's garage...fired up no problem/my coliseum was damaged the worst, and Mike B. brought her back to life-it was over a year after the storm when he got it, and he/we were amazed the water damage really wasn't...
YMMV

Hey msuscorpio, i didn't like that comment at all dude!!! you think it's something to laugh about??? enjoy playin' if you can. Seriously doubt it!!! ... obviously you have no respect for others !!! just hope it never happens to you dude !! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Geez man, Im not laughing at you at all! Haven't you ever heard that trick for people who drop their cell phones in water? Sorry about your gear, but Im not the one who made it rain. take it easy. I meant no harm. Why would I even bother to comment that Im laughing at your predicament? I dont know you and dont have a grudge or anything like that. man....people are too sensitive.

Thanks for the tip Born2boogie2. I think i'll do just that call Mesa/Rick as you state and see what they say. i don't want to run any risks of waking up this BEAST?!? :) yo msuscorpio it's NOT that you made it rain or that i'm yo sensitive as you say, it's that i am very fu?!?n' mad after what happened and you laugh about it!!! what the hell is there to laugh about???k it's funny you know , i broke my back to save up to be able to buy this new gear, and then, look what happened, you wouldn't laugh if it happened to you man unless of course you are a daddy's boy! :twisted:

A daddy's boy?

I think you're reading a bit too much into what he said...

**** dude, you got me, total daddy's boy! But hey at least I've been able to have a good laugh at your expense these past few weeks. Oh the times my trust fund buddies and I have had while sipping single malts and smoking cubans, joking about the random guy on the internet who flooded his gear!

You must have a really rough go in life with ZERO sense of humor. I hope that works out for you.

Latest posts

Back