New Preamp Tubes Day - Tung-Sol 12AX7

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yongling

Reaction score
Hi peeps, I've been quite a lurker here but not much of posting, mainly because I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys here. But just thought I would chime in a little on my findings after putting in a set new Tung-Sol 12AX7s last night in place of the stock tubes.

1) The first thing I noticed was the increase in high end, not in a bad way but more like in sense of presence and the tone sounds more 'muscular', most apparent in Ch1. Also I noticed that the sound is 'dryer' than before. Again, nothing bad about it.

2) There is an improved clarity in Ch2 and Ch3.

3) This set of tubes seem to be quieter than the stock Mesa ones. But that might be because I've been using the stock ones for nearly 2 years and they have been worn out.

Overall I'm very happy with this swap. However I do have a problem: Ever since I got the amp, I can't quite get a tight sound out of Ch2, even after this tube swap I'm still not quite happy with how it sounds. I'm on the Crunch setting and like to set the gain around noon. There seem to be a 'looseness' that is sort of like flabby and generally muffle the tone a little even with bass knob all the way down and pushing the treble and presence knobs. The only way I can tighten it up is to increase the gain to about 3o'clock but that would be too much of a gain for me. It would be great if you guys could share some tips and settings with me. Thanks!

There you go. The graphic EQ is on. I'm using a LP with classic 57's in it

3DB74354-5504-463D-B5A8-A06DA8194894-2727-0000020AAB06853E.jpg

Latest posts

Back