Don't like the mark i mode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fr0sty

Reaction score
I have spent about 10 minutes total trying to dial in a tone I like using the mark 1 mode. Never got close to anything I liked. I get all my mid gain tones using crunch, so I just it let the mark 1 mode fade away. I normally play hb equip guitars. On a whim, I turned on mark 1 and used the bridge position on the strat and tele models on my jtv variax.

Holy ****, that was awesome! Thick and huge rocking tones. Going back to crunch with those same guitar settings was weeeeeek.

Hello from England frOsty.
You have just hit on one of the most frustrating quirks of the the MkV - the inability to switch between the modes via the footswitch - which is fine for the bedroom onanists and those who record frequently with this most wonderful amplifier. But for us out there on the gig it's a pain.
The Marks, since their inception - have been without doubt the amplifier of choice for the gigging musician, but the inability to utilise all the available features of the MkV - on the gig - which is important for those of us of an improvisationally driven bent jazz disposition is a constant source of frustration. I also believe it must be for you rock guys who predominantly frequent this august forum. There are very few things we can do on the fly without robotically programming the gig to depress micro-switches either mid or between songs.
However we endeavour to perservere.
Tweed on Channel 1 is the most wonderful thing and probably the best Fender + tone you can get. But this means that you cannot utilise the best 'Clean Tone' of any amplifier anywhere on the first position on the footswitch - so what do you ?
You make sacrificial compromises in tone to accomodate the oevre and try to duplicate Tweed on Channel 2 - which as has been previously demonstated on other threads is not replicable.
Channel 3 is a thing of rare beauty in all modes and knocks my old Mk 1V into a cocked hat and totally negates any need for extraneous fairy - dust ephemera of the stomp - box ilk.
Is anyone else with me on this ?
I am not a dinosaur of the sonically pure coven as I judiciously use time-based FX in the excellent on - board FX loop (just set centre detente).

Single Coils into a Mark V is really a completely different beast than HBs into a Mark V. Mark 1 mode is marvelous, under the right conditions.

edge, when properly dialed, sounds just fantastic. pushed blackface tones. you gotta play it like you mean it, though. abuse the strings for best results. i tend to go fat or tweed, edge, iv. sometimes tweed, mk1, extreme. that's for the chugga. mk1 for looser sounds, extreme for tighter sounds.

Latest posts

Back