How to get this classic blues tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfnguitarz

Reaction score
This is only one example, I heard it during the Olympics and it reminded me of how much I love this classic sound. At about 9 seconds in, a great classic blues guitar starts up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKZOlZd9H2M
The problem is I can never seem to get close to this (could be lack of talent). I am pretty sure it's a Strat and on the neck pickup, but beyond that, I cannot seem to dial this in on my MV. I get great sounds out of my MV, just not this jangly bluesy sound that I love. Thanks for any suggestions.

golfnguitarz said:
This is only one example, I heard it during the Olympics and it reminded me of how much I love this classic sound. At about 9 seconds in, a great classic blues guitar starts up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKZOlZd9H2M
The problem is I can never seem to get close to this (could be lack of talent). I am pretty sure it's a Strat and on the neck pickup, but beyond that, I cannot seem to dial this in on my MV. I get great sounds out of my MV, just not this jangly bluesy sound that I love. Thanks for any suggestions.

Try channel 2 on Edge mode, back off the gain a little or roll the volume back on your guitar. Throw a Tubescreamer out front as a boost with the drive at 0, level at 10. Also try positions 2 & 4 on the Strat pickup selector.

I have owned my MkV for over 3 years now and absolutely love it! I can achieve a similar sound to this example using the Tweed mode of Ch1 using position 2 or 4 of my HSS type strats dialed in to taste.

However, my TA-30 easily nails this sound (and many other great mid gain bluesy sounds or even classic rock sounds) using the Top Boost mode of Ch1! There truely is something special about the "Top Boost" circuit of the TA30 IMHO.....especially while played through single coils!! :mrgreen:

BTW....Tweed in 10W power setting using single coils will get you the closest to this type of sound IMO. Check it out!

I keep my Mark set up with a good blues tone. I use channel two crunch mode when playing at lower volumes with the gain set low and the mids about 11:00. At higher volumes I switch to tweed mode with the same tone settings. I use the depth knob instead of the sliders. Hit it with a tube screamer with a Strat and your there.
I agree with MBJunky, my TA30 just bleeds blues tones.

I throw channel 1 on tweed mode (90 w) and turn the gain up to 1 or 2 o'clock. Sounds great with my blue lace sensor neck pickup.

Latest posts

Back