Matching 2X12 cabs to my MkV...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danjel

Reaction score
Hi yall!
I am thinking about getting a new cab to my MkV head. I have a vintage Marshall 4X12 with 25W Greenbacks, but I find that it is kind of muffled and I need to drive it loud to be heard in a mix. Therefore, I like to use openback 2X12 cabs for the increased mids the cab naturally offers... Used to have a couple of Horizontal Rectifier cabs but sold them because I missed the mids in the V30s. Has anyone tried the Road King 2X12 cabs with the MkV? A combination of the C90 and V30 should be awesome... right? Anyone have any input?

Perhaps a couple of the 1X12 Thiele widebodies would work too.
By the way, I dont really play METAL. Everything from clean jazz/blues to rock ala Whitesnake, Deep Purple etc...

I ran with 2 C90s in my old 2x12 vert cabs for a classic-ish gig ('80s'/'90s/'00s) and loved it. Now in a true classic job ('60s/'70s/'80s), I switched to WGS speakers (ET65+Vet30) and am very happy. Mix cut is no problem and even at Class A mode is crunches beautifully. Very flexible without the excessive brittleness.

Personally I find the Recto 2x12's "scoopish" nature to go perfect with the MV since it has alot of mid range.

A Roadking 2x12 could be very interesting though! I'd love to hear feedback also.

One thing I was wondering about though...
When miking a Road King 2X12, you either mike the V30 or C90. This changes the "miked" sound compared to the "stage" sound since only half the cab is used. I wonder if the bass responce in the C90 side is too little since it doesnt even have the air volume of the MkV combo...

IMHO you should check out a Port City 212OS cab. I picked one up ans put some K100s in it and will never go back to a 4x12 again. Huge sound and really open. I think it's got the best of both open and closed backs. Very open, almost breathing. But I do play quite a bit of metal and this thing really tracks well. The coolest part for me is playing it about 10 feet or so in front of it, it's really just incredible. When I mic it up, I put one in close to catch the grind and then another back about 10 feet or so to catch the 'air' and really fill it out. If you've got questions, Daniel Klein, the owner, has always answered all my questions super quick. It's worth a shot.

Kenny

Danjel said:
By the way, I dont really play METAL. Everything from clean jazz/blues to rock ala Whitesnake, Deep Purple etc...
i have gigged with a thiele loaded with ev...just right for me...and my back---same style music...I took two thieles one night, but only needed to use one-stage volume was sweet and the soungman handled the rest

Love them EV's! I like my old style 2x12 with a closed EV in the bottom and an MS-12 on top. For bigger gigs I use a recto 4x12 but It definitely scoops the mids! The jury is still out on if it scoops too much as I have not changed settings (ie boosted the mids) when I use the 4x12.

Danjel said:

The Widebody Front Ported (Thiele) is more scooped than the Widebody open back. Still has a lot of mids due to the C90, but it's a little more top/bottom end than the open back version.

My personal favourite is the 27" series of cabs (Electra Dyne, Royal Atlantic). I have the 1x12 rear ported with C90 and it's a great sounding cab. It holds it's own against a Recto 4x12 and sounds full enough that I don't feel like I'm playing a little 1x12 cab. Lots of mids thanks to the C90, but not as brittle sounding in the top end as the Widebody Front Ported or as compressed in the bass as either of the Widebody cab designs.

thehiredgun said:
IMHO you should check out a Port City 212OS cab. I picked one up ans put some K100s in it and will never go back to a 4x12 again. Huge sound and really open. I think it's got the best of both open and closed backs. Very open, almost breathing. But I do play quite a bit of metal and this thing really tracks well. The coolest part for me is playing it about 10 feet or so in front of it, it's really just incredible. When I mic it up, I put one in close to catch the grind and then another back about 10 feet or so to catch the 'air' and really fill it out. If you've got questions, Daniel Klein, the owner, has always answered all my questions super quick. It's worth a shot.

Kenny

I'll second the Port City rec. Although I opted for the regular 2/12 It is an amazing cab live or in the studio with the Mark V! Cuts through but retains air and warmth as well. I got mine with Cannabis Rex speakers...

Hello from England.
Had same issues 30 years ago.
Solved it then and it still works now - you need Vintage Boogie 1x12s loaded with EV Black Shadows. If you can find two half-backs and two Thieles you are made for life.
You have a virtual 4x12, a virtual 2x12 and a 1x12 for the more intimate gig - it's all about clean headroom on the gig. You can flavour them to taste on the night.
Our very own C90s from Celeston ?
Don't let me suppress a chuckle but they are just not what they were - despite what their marketing blurb might say.
The last half decent speaker we in England made was the Vintage C80 made here in Ipswich but alas the dreaded ' economies of scale ' syndrome kicked in - it went East and despite assurances of ' Designed in England ' the quality is just not there .
I know there are fans of the V30/50/90 Catalogue of speaker but trust me - do an A-B if you can and hear the difference.
This is not a Sinophobic rant by any means because they produce kit that I would have died for on the gigging circuit 40 years ago.

screamingdaisy said:
Danjel said:

The Widebody Front Ported (Thiele) is more scooped than the Widebody open back. Still has a lot of mids due to the C90, but it's a little more top/bottom end than the open back version.

My personal favourite is the 27" series of cabs (Electra Dyne, Royal Atlantic). I have the 1x12 rear ported with C90 and it's a great sounding cab. It holds it's own against a Recto 4x12 and sounds full enough that I don't feel like I'm playing a little 1x12 cab. Lots of mids thanks to the C90, but not as brittle sounding in the top end as the Widebody Front Ported or as compressed in the bass as either of the Widebody cab designs.

What kind of music are you able to cover with the cab. Is the RA the same as the Dyne? I keep hearing the dyne may go away.

I have a hatchback car and a 2x12 is the max I can carry. A 1x12 should be plenty loud.

Danjel said:
Hi yall!
I am thinking about getting a new cab to my MkV head. I have a vintage Marshall 4X12 with 25W Greenbacks, but I find that it is kind of muffled and I need to drive it loud to be heard in a mix. Therefore, I like to use openback 2X12 cabs for the increased mids the cab naturally offers... Used to have a couple of Horizontal Rectifier cabs but sold them because I missed the mids in the V30s. Has anyone tried the Road King 2X12 cabs with the MkV? A combination of the C90 and V30 should be awesome... right? Anyone have any input?

The Roadking 2x12 is pretty cool. I had both a Recto 2x12 and Roadking 2x12 and was able to directly compare. Still have the Roadking 2x12.

The Roadking 2x12 is brighter and more complex sounding imo. It still has plenty of thump at least for me.

I've used the Roadking 2x12 with a variety of amps but ironically never a Roadking amp. :D

My '83 Marshall 2204 actually sounds godly through it...go figure.

Update:
I got the 2X12 Roadking Cab and have played my first gig with it in a large rock club here in Stockholm.
Let me tell ya it sounds wonderfull! I really dont like to play too loud on the stage in a club setting because I want the guitar to only be heard through the PA, and most sound techs prefer it that way too. To my surprise the sound guy told me to turn it up past saturation which I did. I miked the C90 open backed side and let me tell you this thing screamed. The sound on stage and out was ridiculous. I am now completely happy with my cab choice.

Back