Compressors

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satch4u3

Reaction score
Anyone here use a compressor with the Mark V? If so, what are you using and are you using it in front of the amp or in the FX loop? I have never used a compressor but I hear generally they sound better in front of the amp??

I use the compressor in my G-System all the time. It is routed so it is in front of the amp, not the FX loop. Sounds great!

I use a Carl Martin comp in front just for different flavors on clean and distortion settings. I am very happy with it.

I use a plain jane boss compressor in front with really good results. it makes all the channels sing a little more. I usually run the 4 controls as follows.. level on 2:00 and the rest at noon. channel 3 has insane sustain and gets a real Carlos' like vocal sound to it. great for a CLEAN boost.

I actually picked up a Boss C3 to test at tonights gig. Thanks for the settings. I'll give them a shot tonight!

I bought a Barber Tone Press. It sounds great. It adds sustain without changing my tone. I also use it to boost the signal, so it adds a little grit on the OD channels. I get a full, thick tone with it.

That said, I'm not sure that I prefer it to my BB Preamp MB. The BB Preamp and Tone Press are about equally good overall on channel 3, though they sound different. However, I prefer the sound of channel 2 boosted with the BB Preamp over the sound with the compressor.

So the compressor held up very nicley at last nights gig. Gunna give it another shot again at tonights gig. I really liked the way the compressor made everything sing more. It may be a pedal that may hang on to. The only negative was that it made my amp, when I wasn't playing, a little noisey. On the drive channels specifically. Expecially on channel 3. I also really want to try the Keeley 4 knob Compressor and the Carl Martin.

Never tried one, but I've heard incredible things about the 4 knob Keeley Compressor.

satch4u3 said:
Anyone here use a compressor with the Mark V? If so, what are you using and are you using it in front of the amp or in the FX loop? I have never used a compressor but I hear generally they sound better in front of the amp??
compressors pretty much always go before the amp. And I only use a compressor on my clean tones and on my leads for a little more sustain. I find it unnecessary on crunch and high gain rhythm tones, and can take away from the organicness of the sound if it's overused IMO. Not an effect to simply leave on all the time.

good ol' 2 knob Keeley here-LOVE it, but I do LOTS of clean to low gain stuff with my 5-easy to use as a boost as well
-if you mess with settings, you can get it to groove with channel 2 and 3..more subtle use than the clean channel
-if you venture into clean lead territory(arrrghh...did he say CLEAN lead??!), it is a must

Usually I run the compressor from the loop in the G-Major 2. The sound is incredible!
However, just the other day I went ahead and got a RG-16 so that I could run a compressor before the amp. Also got a Wampler Ego Compressor (a ridicously good soundning compressor by the way), and just tried it out right out of the box. I actually like the compressor in the loop a bit more. Sounds more "studio", and clean together with the Mark V. The Mark V's channel 1 has a really good natural compression when cranked, so a compressor before the amp seems to be a little "too much". Anyone tried the Wampler? Thoughts?

I use a compressor (DOD Milk Box) in my effects loop as a lead boost (Level set to 3:00, Compress set to 9:00, Hi Exp all the way down, Attack all the way up) and I really like what it does, tightens up the lead sound and boosts the volume a wee bit. I keep the 'Compress' as low as possible as, above 10:00 it begins to add a LOT of noise.

I used to use a lot of compression in front of the amp but now don't like to as it can make things too sterile. There is a time and a place for it though, picked clean parts; tight, heavy rhythm parts etc.

To control the noise..I kick it on and off..on when I need it, off when between songs or when I want an uncompressed sound. I have a patch in my multi... and through the loop..that has a comp on all the time..but it is VERY subtle.. just to get rid iof the peaks . and it really helps to smoooooth out the response of the V...

I have a G Major 2 in the effects loop but never really liked the compressor in there. That Whampler pedal seems interesting tho!

When I use a compressor it's before the amp.

It's handy at getting single notes to really stand out, so I use it for clean and high gain soloing. I like it better than using an OD pedal because it gives me more sustain and a slight signal boost without changing the overall character of the dirt the way an OD pedal does.

screamingdaisy said:
When I use a compressor it's before the amp.

It's handy at getting single notes to really stand out, so I use it for clean and high gain soloing. I like it better than using an OD pedal because it gives me more sustain and a slight signal boost without changing the overall character of the dirt the way an OD pedal does.

Screamingdaisy, man where have u been? I miss reading your insightful posts.

golfnguitarz said:
Screamingdaisy, man where have u been? I miss reading your insightful posts.

Guitar forums give me GAS. GAS costs me money. I had to take a chill pill while my bank account cooled down.

Back