Mark V with 6v6 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEB3

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Mark V. I like the sound of 6v6 amps. I have read the manual and understand that the Mark V can be operated with 4 x 6v6 tubes (w/ variac power setting). Has anyone done this? Can any of the many Mark V modes/channels produce the classic Fender 6v6 tone? I would be interested in operating it in the 10W mode also. What would the power output be with the 6v6? Would it be around 4W?

Switch it into Variac power mode, and stick them in (or, the other way around. It's safer that way). Theoretically, they could be operated at any of the 3 power settings, preferably with the tube rectifier in 45 watt mode. A good estimate for the new power levels would be 50W, 25W, ~6W. Just don't use it in normal power mode. All sorts of wrong can happen if you don't catch that before you hit the standby switch.

Sweet. Sounds like something I would like to try out. I always like the sound of 6v6's in the Express 5:25. Has anyone here actually tried this??

Oh! I was told at a local music store it had 6v6s in it. But yeah, your right. I just checked the mesa site.

I talked to someone at Boogie on the phone and he said you can run 6v6 tubes in 90 watt mode on the variac setting with the bias set for 6l6 tubes. Haven't tried it yet, but I am really thinking about it. He also said to make sure you use Mesa tubes so that you do not invalidate your warranty.

Latest posts

Back