Mark V in 10 watts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this amp seems **** loud in 10 watts with a single 12" spkr. i tried it again tonite in all three channels and different modes, etc. then i tried my stiletto and it seems more usable for house volumes. so does my rivera in lowest watt config (mono/low voltage/triode = 8 watts).

the M5 has better cleans but the stiletto cleans aren't too shabby either. i'll need to crank the M5 at the studio soon in 45/90 watts cranked. it's a very tight unforgiving amp (like the III and IV i've had before). i wasn't able to get the "crush" in ch3 with EQ scooped engaged.

i have a feeling i may end up selling the M5 (too soon to tell but that's my gut feeling) and keeping the Rivera and Stiletto for now. I just wish the stiletto had more of that marshall bite/grind/crunch/bark. I need to try the Marshall JVM as well...

Here's the rundown according to the manual I just downloaded:

90 WATT (SIMUL-CLASS™ : CLASS AB + CLASS A, PUSH-PULL)

45 WATT (EXTENDED CLASS A, PUSH-PULL)

10 WATT (CLASS A, SINGLE-ENDED)

So is it really class A in 45 watts? what is "extended" class A? Is that class A/B?

and this means if you run mostly 10 watts, you're killing one power tube, right?

rabies said:

So is it really class A in 45 watts? what is "extended" class A? Is that class A/B?

IIRC, "extended" class A = fancy terminology for class A/B

Class A single ended which is going to give you some of the sweetest tone If you set things up right as in your gain, pres, eq, etc

I love the sound in 10 watts + I get the masters up around noon.

I guess instead of a retube, I could eventually just swap the outer tubes with the inner..., as my amp is in 10watts 99% of the time.

rocknroll9225 said:
rabies said:

IIRC, "extended" class A = fancy terminology for class A/B

They say in the manual that in 45 Watts the power section is pushed further into class A territory.
You can watch the tubes in the back..

When at 90 watts take the amp off of standby and all 4 tubes will jump a bit with the blue hue.
When at 45 watts only the 2 center 6L6 tubes glow blue.
When at 10 watts only the 2 6L6's closes to the rectifier tube glow blue. I don't know why it's 2 tubes. Someone stated earlier that it's to balance the transformer.
Single ended should mean one tube. No push pull (Class A/B).

90W mode-all 4 tubes in Simul-Class.
45W mode- 2 center tubes in "Extended Class A." Really, it's Class AB push/pull with a bit hotter bias, so there's much less crossover distortion.
10W mode- 2 tubes closer to the rectifier in SE Class A. Both tubes are active in parallel, so acting as one. The other two which are closer to the OT are used to balance the transformer. They're just idling at bias in parallel, so acting as one. Randall explains it in one of his white papers, which I recommend you read if you want to know how he runs a single ended power amp through a push/pull transformer. http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA-WebVersion.htm

I find switching from the 90W mode to 10W mode requires some EQ-ing to make it sound sweet, esp on the Bass control (higher on the 10W mode). Anyone else realize this or is it only me?

mark5mesa

what are you favorite settings in 10 watts for the "sweetest tone"?

Thanks

rabies said:
i have a feeling i may end up selling the M5 (too soon to tell but that's my gut feeling) and keeping the Rivera and Stiletto for now. I just wish the stiletto had more of that marshall bite/grind/crunch/bark. I need to try the Marshall JVM as well...

The JVM is nice. I tried it. Probably the best Marshall to date. My concern is the amp seemed noisy and you definitely don't have the control you have with the MK V.

Did you try the crunch on channel 2 of your V? Crank up the gain to 3 o'clock and the treble to 3"oclovk and you have a hot rodded JCM 800! That is very close to the JVM IMHO.

mule #1

where do you put the rest of the controls on chan 2 for that jcm 800 tone? (too much treble and presence and my amp makes some weird noise, noticable when playing the open g string, and others)

mule#1 said:
rabies said:

The JVM is nice. I tried it. Probably the best Marshall to date. My concern is the amp seemed noisy and you definitely don't have the control you have with the MK V.

Did you try the crunch on channel 2 of your V? Crank up the gain to 3 o'clock and the treble to 3"oclovk and you have a hot rodded JCM 800! That is very close to the JVM IMHO.

so i'm assuming that's with EL34 of course. I have the gain cranked to max (Petrucci said you can crank the gain in that channel) but not sure about the treble, it's not @ 3 oclock. i'll have to check that out. it was getting kinda close to marshally tones but overall my favorite seems to be IIC+.

i ran it in 10 watts for all 3 channels last night @ home and you crank turn it up some (past 9 oclock on masters and output) but it doesnt sound nearly as good as 90 watt settings for all 3 channels I tried at studio with same settings.

Latest posts

Back