I ditched the EL34's! Back to the smoother & creamier 6L6's!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjboogie

Reaction score
After spending about a year with the EL34's I switched back this week to the 6L6's and MAN was I happy I did! Made the whole amp just warmer, smoother and creamier all around! Makes me wonder why I ever tried the EL 34's in the first place! LOL

If I ever get a Marshall again then that will be my EL 34 amp......even an Orange but don't foresee that happening anytime soon!

Same here - was also using mixed mode for a while trying to get the best of both worlds. But full on 6L6s just had "that" sound. mmmm mmmm gewd~

After reading these, I decided to try all 6L6s for the first time in over a year. Wow, it sounds great. In particular, my effects loops seems to work better now--I can hear the delays more cleanly. Channel 1 is much better with 6L6s. Channel 3 sounds neither better nor worse; just different.

I have owned my MkV for over 2 years now, and I did experiment with the EL34 tube option for about 6 months midway through my ownership of this amp. The EL34s offered a nice change for a couple of modes, but overall....I prefer the sounds of the V using 6L6s!

I have been back to the 6L6's for about 9 months now and am very pleased with my sounds. I have no intention to go back to using EL34s in my V, but that is just my opinion.

I am not saying that great sounds can't be achieved using EL34's as the V is an incredibly flexible amplifier that is capable of many great sounds in each mode stand alone. Overall, I just prefer the sound of my V using 6L6s. YMMV

It would still be sick if you could mix the 6L6/EL34s in these amps like the older Simuls. I just love the way they sound working together!

Neptical said:
It would still be sick if you could mix the 6L6/EL34s in these amps like the older Simuls. I just love the way they sound working together!

Apparently you can. Just make sure you don't flip the power switch to 10W, as that would engage a single poweramp valve and ruin the amp...

KH Guitar Freak said:
Neptical said:

Apparently you can. Just make sure you don't flip the power switch to 10W, as that would engage a single poweramp valve and ruin the amp...

Yes, I do remember reading something to the fact that initially it was in the manual - but was taken out due to safety issues of the amp. I dunno, that would make me feel sort of uncomfortable if I was an owner.

If I could check it out on someone else's amp first..... :lol:

6l6 for me too..better all around sound...now if I could afford a T 30 combo...all would be good..with stock tubes..

KH Guitar Freak said:
Neptical said:

here is what we found...
STR-440's in the outer sockets and STR 450's in the middle sockets . NO issues whatsoever in the 90 and 45 watt power settings. In fact, with this tube layout and the bias select in 6L6 mode, we got SCARY close to the original simul/EQ/Rev C+ sound with the MkIV mode of the MkV. The 10 watt power setting is the only thing different with the MkV power section (aside from the inner pair being the ones with the hotter bias, instead of the outers on the older Marks), and if you go there with a "blended" tube setup, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK
...we tried some vintage Sylvania 6ca7's in the V as well, and it was the best/beast,btw
we a/b'd with Lehle pedal, loaded C+, and identical speaker cabs-you can hear and feel the difference,esp. when cranked

Mike, thanks for that info! I'm looking forward to the day I can experiement with the amp as well. Real soon here! :mrgreen:

Back