Don't forget 10 watt mode

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieman60

Reaction score
Last night I was practicing and switched to 10 watt mode. Wow what a sound. I usually gig in 90 watt mode and have not used the class A 10 watt mode for awhile. What a blast...esp chan. 2 crunch...

Yeah, 10 watts is definitely very useful for practicing. I really like the fact that the different power modes actually sound different and aren't just a change in the number of power tubes being used. I tend to run in 10 watts on the spongy variac setting when I'm practicing by myself. And somehow channel 3 in triode still sounds really loud with the channel and master volumes at 10 o' clock :twisted:

+1

I absolutely love the sounds that I can achieve out of all 3 channels in 10W mode!
I have dialed in great sounds using 10W in Ch1 Tweed mode, Ch2 Crunch and Ch3 IIC+/IV that I typically use during band rehearsal.....not just practicing at home.

I have also used the 10W mode while playing live in small venues with my amp mic'd with excellent results.

I am actually amazed at how well my V cuts through the mix during rehearsal while in the 10W setting for several modes of each channel when set to my tastes.

The V can deliver surprisingly nice crunch and high gain sounds at a fairly high volumes out of Ch2 and 3 with nice results. The Tweed mode in Ch1 at 10W is just killer IMO.

I do realize that some will never give 10W settings in the V the time of day, but IMO.....they are the ones missing out! :mrgreen:

I've been using 10 watt mode pretty much exclusively (pre 500) since I got it. I really like the way it breaks up but moreover I like how clear it cuts. In 90 watts things get really thick and compressed unless the amp is eardrum blowing loud. Every setting has a use with the FIVE but 10 watt, variac, el34's have been my goto pretty much since the start.

if you are just using 10 and 45 exclusively on all three channels, you can plug an 8 ohm load into the 4 ohm output and it sounds even better. this corrects the mismatch present when using an 8 ohm load into the 8 ohm output at anything less than simul-class.

:twisted:

Tweed in 10 watt mode is awesome...I have used this recording with really good results. very touch sensitive, and controlled. Beefy sound at real resonable levels.

I have also recorded using Tweed in 10W with excellent results!! :mrgreen:

I love all three channels in 10w mode and would use it live, only draw back, there is channel popping between the 2 and 3 channels, and vice versa. 45w or 90w doesn't seem to be an issue.

Dr.Strange.......I recall hearing of others experiencing the "popping" sensation between channels with all set to 10W in the past.

I don't experience any "popping" between any of the channels/modes with all channels set to 10W. The only time that I experience any "popping" with channel switches is when switching from some channels set to 10W and others at anything else (45 or 90).

I consider myself lucky because I do love the seamless footswitchable sounds that I can achieve in 10W of all channels. For reference, I have a MkV 112 combo amp purchased about 2 years ago. What do you have?

Latest posts

Back