My Mark V is making popping noise at idle

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Kite

Reaction score
I have wanted for years to be a Boogie guy. I like the American-ness of the company. I like how Randall Smith invented so much for amps. I haven't ever been able to get my sound on a Boogie until this amp. I bought a used MKV and I dearly love it. Look Maw, no pedals!!!
Anyway, I got it used and when I turn it on I'll be playing and it will POP! It scares me out of my happy place so I start substituting tubes. It happens in all channels. I have tried new tubes. I thought well maybe it's a foot switch problem. I deoxited both ends. Any way has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it? I have ordered a complete new set of tubes from Mesa and they should be here next week. The only tubes I haven't tried replacing are the one that work for ch 3 exclusively (I don't go there much) and the rectifier. Still made the noise in diode mode.
The noise is erratic as can be. It will be quiet for an hour and I'll shut it off then when I flip it on Snap!...POP!
Best regards,
Max

I know it doesn't help but mine is dead silent. 9 out of 10 times it's a tube problem. Also, do a search on loose footswitch connections.

jmontgomery said:
I know it doesn't help but mine is dead silent. 9 out of 10 times it's a tube problem. Also, do a search on loose footswitch connections.
Thank you for the reply!
It does it with or without the foot switch.
I HOPE it's a tube problem.
I have pulled the chassis and nothing looks cooked, (although it looks a little more complicated than my Vibrolux Reverb).

Awesome. You really have to respect a company that will take care of their customers like that. Most would tell you since you bought used your on your own.
Keep us informed on what the problem was.

I was getting killer blues cleans neck pick up and out of phase plus AMAZING rock n roll dirt with single coils on the bridge. Just killer. Very Walter Trout! I'm pretty excited to have a Boogie that works for me. This small problem is just peripheral to the great tones. I have always wanted an amp to respond like this to single coils.

My amp is on it's way back from the Boogie repair shop. Some of the caps were loose. It should be home by weeks end. No charge, Mesa took good care of me.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back