Connecting Mark V directly to soundcard

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jofipe

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Which output would you use directly into your soundcard and then to DAW? I'm using impulse response to create the cab.

+4 or -10?

Thanks allot :)
J

jofipe said:
Hi guys.

Which output would you use directly into your soundcard and then to DAW? I'm using impulse response to create the cab.

+4 or -10?

Thanks allot :)
J
Not sure what outputs you are refering to on your MKV. IMO you should use the SLAVE out as this is from the OT and will contain the Simul-Class "Mojo"

Just make sure you have the proper speaker load connected at all times.

Dom

Right, so you can in fact not just run the amp WITHOUT you cab plugged in?

jofipe said:
Right, so you can in fact not just run the amp WITHOUT you cab plugged in?

Correct.

If you run the amp with the cab unplugged you'll destroy the amp.

And to answer your question... +4, and use the line out as already suggested.

Thank you! :)

Line out = Slave out OR loop send?
Can you record quietly then? monitoring the sound just coming through the DAW?

AMP volume down....

jofipe said:
Thank you! :)

Line out = Slave out OR loop send?
Can you record quietly then? monitoring the sound just coming through the DAW?

AMP volume down....

The slave out is a direct tap off the speaker out, so if you turn the amp's master volume down for silent recording you'll get no sound out of it.

You can use the FX loop send but it won't have power amp processing applied to the signal. Whether it'll sound good or not I can't say.

Be sure to read the threads about attenuators voiding your warranty.
Just sayin'.

Alright, thanks.. I will.

Any recommendations for a good attenuator?

I can get the Marshall one pretty cheap.

The marshall airbrake is crappy. Do not buy it.

Use of an attenuator will not void your Mark V warranty, and if anyone has something saying otherwise I would like to see it.

I am concerned here that we are discussing Tube Amp 101 with someone with a $2000 guitar amplifier.

I suggest you reread the manual for the Mark V and for any recording equipment you may own.

I record my v this way. I have an 8 ohm hotplate connected the speaker out on the V. On the hotplate I take the line out and put that into my daw interface and the speaker out to my cab.

I set the hotplate to no attenuation when playing normally, but for recording I set it to "load". There is no sound coming out of my speaker cab when set like this. I then apply impulses in daw to the line out signal.

This clip is something I started last week using the above setup. It's a mix of mark iv and iic+ modes.

http://soundcloud.com/project-dome/the-start-of-something-massive

As a side note, the V's line out is noticeably nosier than the hotplates line out.

MesaGod666 said:
Call Marcus at Boogie and he will tell you that the use of an attenuator will void your warranty.

It's getting a bit out of hands. They now say any other tubes than Mesa brand will void the warranty. Now this! Next they will say any brand of speakers except Mesa will void the warranty. It's irritating because its does not make any sense since it's not based on facts. It's like they don't want to be bothered. Not a nice twist at all. I don't like this new approach at Mesa....

One weird thing.. I'm trying out a Hot Plate and a Marshall PB-100. when both of them are set to LOAD, it seems that I get more signal out of the Amp line out with the PB-100 than the Hot Plate..
Any explenation for that?
I actually thought the line signal was tabbed before the attenuation.. but I guess not. Thats a drawback on the sound.

There is a knob on the hotplate's back that adjusts the line out level. Have you tried adjust that?

Yes, but that only works if you use the line out signal from the Hot Plate :)
I'm using the mark V line-out signal.

Apart from that, the sound is very different using the Marshall and the Hot Plate

jofipe said:
Alright, thanks.. I will.

Any recommendations for a good attenuator?

I can get the Marshall one pretty cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-PLUG-6-12-Attenuator-Brand-NEW-STOCK-/150582876977

love mine.

Back