Going back to 6L6s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
I've been an evangelist for EL34s, but I'm going back to 6L6s for a while. I've started dialing the amp with much less of a scoop, and I find I like it with 6L6s more. With EL34s and the 750 slider up, it just sounds too bright and not bassy enough for me.

Anyone else go back to 6L6s after a using EL34s for a long time?

Hmmm. I'm trying a blend of TAD E34B-STRs in the middle sockets with JJ 6L6s in the outersockets, and I like that even more. Maybe I'll try some JJ E34Ls on the inside. I need to get some better 6L6s, too.

I think both 6L6 and EL34s work excellent together. Each kind of fill in where the other lacks. You get that rich singing harmonic content of a good pair of EL34's, but a nice fatness of the 6L6. Not so sure I could use straight up 6L6's again. That's like no cream cheese in my cheesecake. :lol:

Yes, I have gone back to 6L6's in my V after spending several months with the EL34's. Both have their pros and cons to me, but overall I prefer the sound of 6L6s in my V.

BTW.....I don't think the V is designed for a combination of EL34s and 6L6s....it is either one or the other in all 4 sockets......beware!

MBJunkie said:
BTW.....I don't think the V is designed for a combination of EL34s and 6L6s....it is either one or the other in all 4 sockets......beware!

Yeah, I know, Mesa doesn't advise it. But after reading (was it Joey B or Lester?) the threads where someone measured the biases, it seems that it's fine to mix tubes, so long as you stay out of 10 watt mode.

MBJunkie said:

Yup, that's true. It's not like the older Marks. I wish they would of brought that back. *sniffles*

eudaimonia02912 said:
Yeah, I know, Mesa doesn't advise it. But after reading (was it Joey B or Lester?) the threads where someone measured the biases, it seems that it's fine to mix tubes, so long as you stay out of 10 watt mode.

4.gif
4.gif

If that's the case, that would be pretty cool. I'd probably be more tempted to snatch one up sooner. There's nothing like the sound of those tubes together. Definitely the sound of magic.

I went back to 6L6's after Petrucci posted his settings on Youtube. I'm really happy with Ch 1 and Ch 3 but I feel like I have completely sacrificed Ch 2 for it. When I had the EL34's in I spent a ton of time in Ch2 crunch and loved the tone I got from it, but since then it's just not used much. I wish I could have EL34's for Ch2 and 6L6 for the rest. That would be the dream senario for me.

DrummerChas said:
I wish I could have EL34's for Ch2 and 6L6 for the rest. That would be the dream senario for me.

LOL, that is exactly what I have said in a bunch of posts! An old bandmate was over the other night and we were putting the Mark V through its paces and I threw in a set of EL34s about half way through and - ah - there was that beautiful ch2 crunch/schmear sound! The honeymoon will be over soon however, ch1 is already begging me to put the 6L6s back in.

DrummerChas said:
I wish I could have EL34's for Ch2 and 6L6 for the rest. That would be the dream senario for me.

I think 45 watt mode uses the middle sockets, and those are where EL34s are supposed to go if you mix tubes. So, one configuration would be to put 6L6s in the outer sockets and EL34s on the inner sockets. Then use 90 watt mode for channels 1 and 3, and 45 watt mode with the master volume up for channel 2. You then get a mixed sound on channels 1 and 2, and all EL34s on channel 2.

phyrexia said:
I would be down for a 'Mark King' amp as well with some progressive linkage.

That's exactly what I've been saying...

For me it goes roughly like this:
Channel 1: The 6L6s are better, no question.
Channel 2: I strongly prefer the EL34s.
Channel 3: Both work but I prefer the EL34s for the extra bite and aggression. A 6L6/EL34 mix might actually be what I want here.

Since I mostly need a 1970s rock sound in my current main band project, the EL34s are a no-brainer for me. Besides, I have a Rev G Dual head for the modern, scooped 6L6 metal rhythm sounds anyway - I like the increased contrast that the EL34s give me on channel 3.

Please, Mesa, give us a Mark Vb already...with Progressive Linkage!

I think if they gave you a Mark V with progressive linkage (which sounds like a fricken great idea), it might kill some of the RAs thunder. That amp is supposed to reign supreme with its EL34-based crunchiness.

phyrexia said:
I would be down for a 'Mark King' amp as well with some progressive linkage.

I would personally love to see them make a Road King style amp, but using the Stiletto and Lone Star circuits. I'd sell anything necessary to buy that amp.

Boogie needs to bring back the 6L6/EL34 mix for the Marks. Not sure why they ever got rid of that :?: :!: It's seriously the best of both worlds.

I think they originally planned on having the EL34/6L6 mix in the amp. I have one of the original manuals and it has a spot where it mentions it as an option.

I suspect the reason they deleted it was due to the potential for damage if you were to put the amp in 10w mode with mixed tubes.

Honestly, I'd be really happy if they'd delete the 10w option and add the option to choose which pair of tubes you use in 45w mode... ie, 6L6 clean w/ EL34 crunch.

screamingdaisy said:
Honestly, I'd be really happy if they'd delete the 10w option and add the option to choose which pair of tubes you use in 45w mode... ie, 6L6 clean w/ EL34 crunch.
:shock: YES

I wouldn't mind seeing an option to combine 6L6's and EL34's with the V, but not at the expense of sacrificing the 10W feature. I actually find some very excellent sounds in that mode alone with all channels, but also like being able to switch to 45 and 90W modes in all channels.

My other comment for those that are suggesting a "Mark King" version is the extra circuitry required to allow the selectable power tube options of the Road King on the V would seriously increase the size and especially weight of the head or combo version. Would it be cool....maybe, but I am happy very happy with the versatile sounds offered with the V combo using any/all of the 9 modes, power wattage selection options, onboard GEQ or preset EQ knob and solo boost feature using either 6L6s or EL34s power tubes.

Personally, I like the V the way it is designed. Just my .02

I just took out my 6L6s and went back to EL34s. My last band was a trio and I found the "3D-ness" of the 6L6s filled open space nicely and gave the overall sound a more rounded feel. Now I'm in a 4-piece and with another guitarist in the mix and there's less sonic space I need to occupy so I'm back to using EL34s. The EL34s narrow the band a bit but are more pronounced and allow me to cut through the mix a little easier.

I think the real solution here is two Mark Vs dammit :D

Latest posts

Back