Anyone else notice this with wireless...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vogelsong

Reaction score
I got to use my G50 relay today for the first time.

I noticed it really brightened up the tone to the point that it desperately needed to readjusting in the tone stack and eq.

Yea my line6/x2 does the same, ive actually held off on using it live because i dont like the sound of it.

Vogelsong said:

I noticed it really brightened up the tone to the point that it desperately needed to readjusting in the tone stack and eq.

The Relay manual should explain this. Use the "Cable Tone" feature, that is what it is for.

Dom

domct203 said:
Vogelsong said:

The Relay manual should explain this. Use the "Cable Tone" feature, that is what it is for.

Dom

Exactly what Dom said. I have a G50 that I use for live performances and I also notice it brightening my tone somewhat, as the manual states. I use the cable tone feature on 10-15feet and I'm good to go. Use the features that are there for a reason, and then tweak your amp slightly to compensate for different venue sounds or whatever the case may be.

So, do you notice any decrease in sustain, or fullness off tone? I have a Shure system that is pretty good, but I definately notice a loss of sustain, and brightening of tone. Also a slight loss in fullness of tone. The brightness I can compensate for for the most part, but not the sustain or fullness to tone. As advertised, the Line6 is supposed to have no signal loss or loss of sustain, do you find that to be true?

domct203 said:
Vogelsong said:

Dom

Yea, I got there late again so I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it. But once I started messing with that it all became pretty clear.

BluesRock said:
So, do you notice any decrease in sustain, or fullness off tone? I have a Shure system that is pretty good, but I definately notice a loss of sustain, and brightening of tone. Also a slight loss in fullness of tone. The brightness I can compensate for for the most part, but not the sustain or fullness to tone. As advertised, the Line6 is supposed to have no signal loss or loss of sustain, do you find that to be true?

I gotta play with it some for this. However, there were some parts when I was playing and holding notes expecting them to ring more and they kind of just died out. I thought it was something I was doing. So now that you mention this I will have to experiment.

I'll let ya know.

Hey thanks! Looking for a system that really is as good as a really good cable, and hoping maybe the Line6 is. Or, if there's something else? I know this isn't the direct subject here, but close...

The Line 6 Relay series is the sh!t. Really. I've got a G50 and a G90, and once you dial in your capacitance/brightness desired with the cable length feature, it's beautiful.

I've tried a lot of wireless units, and this is the first one that I'll say is as good as, no, better than a cord. :!:

Hey thanks! Sure appreciate your thoughts recommendation of the Line 6 units. Really glad to hear that they're that good. I'm gona go ahead and get one.

BluesRock said:

I messed with the g50 more last night. The brightness that it adds for me does not go away with the cable length knob. The knob does have an affect on the tone for sure in that it darkens the tone more and more with each turn. However, within this I can still hear the bright metallic tone when I strum the guitar. It isn't as bad as if it is on 0 but it's still there none the less.

Now I had it sitting on top of my amp and it was connected with only a foot long cable. So I decided to put a full length 15' cable on it to see what that would do. That then did the trick combined with the cable lenght knob the bright tinty tone went away completely.

I don't notice any loss in fullness of tone or sustain for that matter. Those aspects to my ear really don't seem to be affected especially once it's hooked up with a full length cable.

Vogelsong said:
BluesRock said:

I messed with the g50 more last night. The brightness that it adds for me does not go away with the cable length knob. The knob does have an affect on the tone for sure in that it darkens the tone more and more with each turn. However, within this I can still hear the bright metallic tone when I strum the guitar. It isn't as bad as if it is on 0 but it's still there none the less.

Now I had it sitting on top of my amp and it was connected with only a foot long cable. So I decided to put a full length 15' cable on it to see what that would do. That then did the trick combined with the cable lenght knob the bright tinty tone went away completely.

I don't notice any loss in fullness of tone or sustain for that matter. Those aspects to my ear really don't seem to be affected especially once it's hooked up with a full length cable.
Wow, this is a great point, and I'm sorry I didn't address it in my comments earlier.

I was told by a pro guitarist when I first got my G50 to use a long cable between the wireless receiver and your amp or pedalboard. He said the unit was designed for large stage playing, not bedroom jamming, so it was engineered with the knowledge that there would likely be a long cable used somewhere in the signal chain (seems reasonable). I've always put a 20' Planet Waves cable between my receiver and my pedalboard (even though the receiver sits next to it), and the tone has been fantastic.

I also went down to the lo signal setting and that seemed to help as well.

Forgot to mention that the first time.

This unit is really nice, lots of features.

I got it for a steal off ebay for 280.

Latest posts

Back