Mark V reverb stopped working...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudleydawson

Reaction score
all was fine for a month or so. until last night.
then it just plain stopped working. new preamp tubes (4&5) didn't help. took the footswitch out of the equation. checked the reverb tank was plugged in and all connections were secure.
tried every channel, every mode, every wattage - and flipped every other switch on the amp! nothing.

anything else i should try? obviously i'll be calling mesa as soon as i can.

huge-*** bummer... nearest tech is an hour drive.

Same here. About 4 months ago.
I havent had cause to use it til now, so between that and the EQ slider problems I've been having, Im taking mine back to the store.

Same for me... JFet died on me too... quick and easy fix for the tech, but I had to wait a week for him to get the parts from Mesa...

There are several JFETS in the reverb circuits that serve as signal attenuators for certain modes. If any one of them fail, the signal at the part of the circuit that they are in will be shorted to ground. You have to find out which of the 3 JFETS have failed, and replace them. The part number that I have is J175, the designator on the PCB will be either J175M2, J175D, or J175E if that is of any help. As long as you can find a matching part, it should be a simple fix.

hey i got the same problem, how can i get a JFET im from guatemala so i guess theres no MESA backup for me, my reverb just got dead, im pretty mad i just invest 350$ last week for a new speaker which died just like that, and now NO reverb, i just retubbed the whole amp too so there goes another invest, the amp sounds great but i feel pretty upset because its failing and theres no way no one can help me, No techs, no guarantee, no nothing and this amps is only 1 year old :S .

if anyone can help me i would apreciate too much that,

thanks
Dre.

http://www.opentip.com/Musical-Instruments/Amplifier-Partstransistorsj-Switching-Fet-Channel-To-Transistor-p-1885358.html

will these do the replacement? also its safe to run my amp with this problem by now?

........ :S heeeeeeeeeeelp!

So i spoke to mesa, they told me that i could send the chassis to them to take a look, do you guys think its that what i have to do, or just a quick fix that i can do myself, i think its gonna be real expensive to send the amp because the shipping charges, i dont know if mesa charges for servicing or repairs like these, i told them that i was calling later but what you guys think can i do?? im so frustated...

Dre.

Andre Oliveros said:
So i spoke to mesa, they told me that i could send the chassis to them to take a look, do you guys think its that what i have to do, or just a quick fix that i can do myself, i think its gonna be real expensive to send the amp because the shipping charges, i dont know if mesa charges for servicing or repairs like these, i told them that i was calling later but what you guys think can i do?? im so frustated...

Dre.

Do you know what you're doing? It would be a far more expensive problem if you mess something up and end up having to send it to Mesa with a voided warranty.

B-

since im not in USA its already void, i have recapped amps, and changed components in the past of a marshall and a fender... so thats why im so indecise...

Andre Oliveros said:
since im not in USA its already void, i have recapped amps, and changed components in the past of a marshall and a fender... so thats why im so indecise...

whoa? The warranty is void if purchased outside of the USA? That's lame if true.
I can understand Mesa not wanting to foot the cost of shipping, but voiding the 5 year warranty seems like a stretch to me.

There aren't any Mesa certified service centers where you are?

Good luck on this.

Brian

at this point am defending MESA and i dont know why, my past amp was a Orange rocker 30, which i used for over 2 and a half years gigging and all, and never ever fail, nothing not even the tubes!, but heres the story with the MESA bought it in USA, then bring it to Guatemala, that was the last february after 3 months of owning the amp the SOLO button in the footswitch is faulty and i fixed it by myself, then i noticed weeks after that some rattling i checked the tubes and one has a component just loose inside the tube so i had to order new tubes, then 2 months after that the other pair fail too, ok so i bought new set, then 3 weeks ago the C90 speaker just went dead i posted over here the problem so then again i just bought a new speaker which i recently changed in the past 6 days or so, and now happy because finally i changed the speaker NO REVERB! so checked all wich bring me to this post, now yesterday i spend a lot of money doing an international call to speak finally to MESA, the first thing they say its my warranty is void because im on Guatemala, next theres nothing i can do because we dont have dealers or qualified techs, hell theres not even techs in guatemala believe it or not, so the only solution they gave me its to send the chassis to petaluma, i checked and its nearly 1000$ to send the amp and it to return in shipping costs, so do the math, for every problem this amp has gave me for smaller that they seem, the amount its nearly a new mark V, its not fair really it isnt, why im i a different customer just for being outside US?, they didnt even offer me to send me a new speaker or a new set of tubes or a footswitch or anything after i explained all the problems the amps has gave me over one year, i own a MESA mark V , and after all that crap i must say sounds amazing its a great amp, the costumer service were kinda good because they were nice , but facing the reality is IM ON MY OWN ALL ALONE with this amp, i dont have any support or nothing, i already check the schems and pics of inside of the amp, and order the new JFETS hopping thats the problem, after repairing two tube amps in my life i must say im afraid of touching the inside of the mark V although its seems an easy fix, im afraid, but hey what can a Guatemalan owner of a MESA boogie Mark V can do? somethimes i wish Mr. Randall could hear my story to hear what he has to say? but ejjj the world is just unfair and all i can do its to rate MESA Boogie in reability 4 of 10 points.

sorry about my boring story

thanks and any help its well received.

Dre.

Man I feel for you. Hopefully Mesa listens and tries to invest in international expansion. Is there any help possible in Mexico?

i just send a mail to international service of MESA, lets hope they answer something, Whaaaaaaaaaaaa! i love that amp i just want it to be great i just invested in this new speaker and tubes and sounds AWESOME!!! but no reverb :( !!! MESA PLEASE HELP ME! i want to keep enjoing a great amp!

Hey! My Reverb its fixxxxed! and i did it by myself, it was definitely a JFET a real PITA because its a small space to work but now its done its fine so ill keep my Mark V romance alive, :) thanks to everyone that helped, and MESA for their quick answers! :p

Dre.

Hey! My Reverb its fixxxxed! and i did it by myself, it was definitely a JFET a real PITA because its a small space to work but now its done its fine so ill keep my Mark V romance alive, :) thanks to everyone that helped, and MESA for their quick answers! :p

Dre.
How did you know which one it is? I have the amp on a bench and the parts are arriving today.

Andre! How did you know which JFET it was? I have the amp on the bench with the same problem and parts on the way. Mesa would not give me any info on repair procedure. I've located 3 JFETs near V4.

Latest posts

Back